Rear Brake Pedal Sinks When Releasing Front Brake

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just to put an end point to my participation in this thread.......my contention has never been about separating front from rear and using one at the total exclusion of the other. It's how cleverly Honda designed the LBS so that slight pressure on either lever or pedal allows the rider to control the amount of F/R bias within the limits of the system. As Honda put it when describing the ST1300's LBS: "The advantage of linked brakes is that the rider can control brake bias between front and rear wheels, within the limits of the system. At speed, linked brakes help balance braking between front and rear, making front trail braking in corners more predictable. At slow speeds, trailing the rear brake helps control speed without bringing the bike to a sudden stop".

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
.....the point I was trying to make was you can't separate the front and the rear system of the brakes while applying them at any point in the turn no matter how gently, easy, or pressure used.
I follow you now.

Have you ever had a chance to check if the Delay Valve delays both the right and the left or only the right? Am wondering if the left is just passing through, without delay?

On the GW, it looks like the SMC side (left also) is not delayed, only the right.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Have you ever had a chance to check if the Delay Valve delays both the right and the left or only the right? Am wondering if the left is just passing through, without delay?
The picture that I attached shows the delay valve affects both right and left caliper.

Attachments

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
The picture that I attached shows the delay valve affects both right and left caliper.

Some of the GW schematics are showing the exact same representation of the Delay Valve, with the same plumbing.

But on this one, which is more of a block diagram, they are showing the left bypassing the valve.

With the inlet and left exit being so close together on the valve, I am wondering if it is just a pass through, and there would be no delayed action to the left, with delay only to the far side of the valve, on the right side.

If both the left and right were delayed, you could expect both the left and right exits to be side by side, on the opposite side of the inlet on the valve.

When I'll find the time, I'll have somebody pushing the pedal while watching the front calipers.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Some of the GW schematics
But on this one, which is more of a block diagram, they are showing the left bypassing the valve.
With the inlet and left exit being so close together on the valve, I am wondering if it is just a pass through, and there would be no delayed action to the left, with delay only to the far side of the valve, on the right side.
This schematic that I found also shows the delay valve going to both also. It looks like it may be for the GW, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
This schematic that I found also shows the delay valve going to both also. It looks like it may be for the GW, but I'm not sure.
Yes. This is for the GW. Same as this one, but without the ABS modulators.

This other drawing is a functional schematic, and it suggests that although the fluid to the left may be routed through the valve, it is by passing the delay mechanism inside the valve and there is no delay to the left.

If I spin the front wheel by hand and press the pedal, the wheel stops without noticeable delay. Which could be an indication that only the right is delayed.

Top Bottom