replace sealing washer on oil drain plug?

Bike
Vstrom 650
Only time I ever replaced the crush washer I thought I stripped the threads on the sump when I was tightening the bolt back in. I was refitting the bolt as normal when all of a sudden it gave under pressure, was sure I'd just stripped the sump threads, turned out it was just the crush washer 'crushing'
wasn't sure till the next oil change though. no more changing crush washers for me.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Since we're obviously bored and beating a dead horse for entertainment, would the torque value for a copper washer be less than the OEM aluminum? What if the copper washer is the tubular (hollow) type? Just something to keep you guys occupied during the cold snap...

TPadden

Tom Padden
I'm with you Mike... we're such rebels. :cool:
Yeah, but you should listen to OLD rebels. The second or third time you complete an oil change and when you dump the used oil into a container and hear or see a PLOP, you'd know if you'd at least flipped the washer, you wouldn't have to reinstall it. :)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Yeah, but you should listen to OLD rebels. The second or third time you complete an oil change and when you dump the used oil into a container and hear or see a PLOP, you'd know if you'd at least flipped the washer, you wouldn't have to reinstall it. :)
Or, you could just look at the drain plug before you reinstall it, notice the washer is missing, and fish it out of the drain pan. One benefit of never changing the washer in 21 oil changes is mine is well attached to the bolt head, so it never falls off.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I haven't changed any washers either on 3 bikes . 25 years now on my '91 GoldWing alone . I do wipe off sealing area of the washer and engine hole seal area to make sure I am not tightening down on crud.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Then I'd have to get my wife with a flashlight involved ......... and wait until she'd finished changing my tire ......
in that case why can't she do the oil change after she's done with the tire?

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I realized mine was missing a half dozen changes ago. I fished through the drained oil looking for it but it was MIA. I can't seem to remember to pick one up.

Top Bottom