ST1300 Mirror got Tweaked due to Mishap

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
I had a mishap in my driveway that resulted in my bike tipping over into an adjacent vehicle; The bike did not tip over completely. The mirror cowl did as expected by popping off, but the mirror assembly is now "tweaked."

The mirror is now stuck in the "fully down" position and will not move. The mirror assembly is so far down that I can see a gap between the ball and the socket. The mirror does rotate about its axis, but will not adjust vertically. I am reluctant to do much more than I have tried to rectify the situation without some suggestions.

Has anyone experienced this situation and what did you do to correct it?

Thank you,
Brian

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Sorry to hear that Brian. Are you going to count it as a fraction in your tipover count? Maybe a 0.4 depending on the angle. :-D

When I first got my ST1100 I tried to adjust the mirrors after many years in a static position. I was afraid of too much force on the glass so I loosened the bolt holding the ball in the socket and then adjusted. Once it started moving it was easy but there was a lot of initial sticktion. This was on my 1100 so YMMV (Your Mirror May Vary). It might be worth a try if you haven't already.

OP
OP
STripper

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
Thanks, Dave. The bolt on the ST1300 mirror "frame" is recessed into the molded plastic; I don't see a convenient way of loosening it, and spinning the mirror frame appears to do nothing.

I have never admitted the number of times that I have experienced what some call "tip overs." :D

Top Bottom