Fuel Gauge Question

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
My fuel gauge started flashing yesterday at 188 miles. I got gas at 216 miles and it took 5.2 gallons (on the center stand). Presumably, since it has a 7.7 gallon tank, that means I had 2.5 gallons left. When I fill it up, the fuel gauge shows down a couple bars. That would mean the light would be flashing for maybe 120 miles before running out. I've only had this bike since November and have only let the fuel run low enough for the light to flash a couple times. My 1100 goes around 275 miles before the fuel light comes on. Does this sound normal for a 1300 or is something wrong? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks for the PDF. I read the owner's manual when I got the bike, but it's been a while. There's a lot going on with the fuel gauge!

When it goes from two bars down to one, it immediately starts flashing. Maybe I'm not filling it up enough. I haven't been able to get all the bars lit yet. I've only done it on the center stand a couple times and I generally stop filling it when it clicks off.

Bike
No bike
STOC #
The 2 bars to one flashing is normal, there is no single solid bar.

I usually fill on the side stand and top it as far as I can without it spilling out ;) always shows all bars lit until I get about 15-20 miles down the road...

Bike
2004 ST1300
Next time you fill it up on the centerstand fill it to the rim ring. At the onset of the flashing one bar there should be 1.3 gallons +\- remaining. You should be able to put in at least 6 gallons. I typically go about 275 miles before the single flashing bar alert, sometimes 300 or so.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Have a look at this article on how to interpret the ST1300 fuel gauge.
...and note the part about the fuel pump living in the lower tank and being cooled by the gas. Don't get down to fumes! I had my fuel pump go the summer after being down to empty, empty in 115 F/40 C degree heat in Arizona. I am sure it started it's road to failure after being exposed to extreme heat. I usually fill up now after 350 km/220 miles.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
That's a helpful link thanks. I'll change my fill procedure and hopefully I'll get the range I should.
Procedure? For filling a tank?

Open cap, insert nozzle, squeeze trigger and set catch. Once auto-fill kicks off, then withdraw nozzle and look into tank as you top it off manually.

Wether bike is on side-stand, center-stand, or no stand since you can straddle and fill, it all fills the same.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Procedure? For filling a tank?
My previous "procedure" (filling until it clicked off) was leaving me with two unlit bars on the gauge and range that was less than expected. There is a refueling procedure on pages 96-97 of the owner's manual (outlined above by soontobeone).

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Next time you fill it up on the centerstand fill it to the rim ring. At the onset of the flashing one bar there should be 1.3 gallons +\- remaining. You should be able to put in at least 6 gallons. I typically go about 275 miles before the single flashing bar alert, sometimes 300 or so.
x2...right on the money. You can't stick end of hose in tank or it'll click off....pump issue at station, not an ST issue.265-275 gets me to last bar...it flases and you'll notice insted of miles ridden, it becomes a countdown to empty.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
What others have said about filling. One thing not noted was that you only put in 5.2 gallons. At one bar flashing and you drove another 28 miles, you should have put in over 6 gallons, if filled to the bottom of the filler neck. It will be interesting to hear how far you get before flashing once you fill it like said, and then how many gallons to refill.
If you are showing low fuel levels and still only take under 6 gallons to fill it to the proper level, you might have a faulty fuel level sensor.

I do not trust my fuel gauge to be "accurate". I average around 45MPG. Take 45 x 7 = 315 miles average with a minimum of safety.

It is easier to fill the tank early than to push the beaST to be filled.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
My previous "procedure" (filling until it clicked off) was leaving me with two unlit bars on the gauge and range that was less than expected.
Ow, yeah, don't do that. If you're jamming a full-sized nozzle into the tank, you're not filling it because the automatic stop is designed for gas coming up the filer neck in a car. You also run the risk of damaging the sender mechanism. (We've had a couple of people do that.)

--Mark

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
RobbieAG said:
I haven't been able to get all the bars lit yet.
Even without doing any math this was an FBI clue. At least it's something simple instead of a bad sender or gauge.

I always fill up on the center stand to the gunwales. It's always filled up prior to riding not before parking. The auto-shut off isn't used- I guesstimate when it's time to start watching the level. Then I ride.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Try to catch the gauge changing to (say) 4 bars when you are near a filling station and see how much fuel that represents. Do the same for when the single segment starts to flash. It will give you a good idea of what your gauge actually means. Knowing how far you can ride once the last segment flashes is really useful.
Sounds like good advice - I'll give it a try.

Bike
st1300/2006
I have an ST1300/2006, the fuel gauge functions as described in the manual. Being careful I can drive appox 300 mi. When the last bar blinks I should have 1.3 gal.
At 40 mpg, I can drive approx 50 mi while the last bar is blinking. Present milage..102,000. When the last bar blinks, look for a gas station!

Bike
st1300/2006
I have an ST1300/2006, the fuel gauge functions as described in the manual. Being careful I can drive appox 300 mi. When the last bar blinks I should have 1.3 gal.
At 40 mpg, I can drive approx 50 mi while the last bar is blinking. Present milage..102,000. When the last bar blinks, look for a gas station!

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I filled the tank when it got down to four bars using the proper fill procedure and got all eight bars lit (woo hoo!). It took 2.36 gallons. After about 15 miles, it went down to seven bars. I'll continue to do fill ups at different levels - three bars, two bars etc. until I have a good feel for how much fuel it takes at each point.

Last edited:
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
I filled the tank when it got down to four bars using the proper fill procedure and got all eight bars lit (woo hoo!). It took 2.36 gallons. I'll continue to do fill ups at different levels - three bars, two bars etc. until I have a good feel for how much fuel it takes at each point.
Rule of thumb : Tank holds what...about 7.6 gallons and there are 8 bars. Generally ( for my '07), I lose 1 bar per gallon of gas used....about every 40-42 miles ridden. When cycle goes from 2 bars to 1, the 1 flashes and the display changes from showing Avg. MPH to DTE ( destination to empty).

Enjoy your ride! The only thing better than living within 1/2 day of the Blue Ridge....would be living living within 1-2 hours of it :)

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Rule of thumb : Tank holds what...about 7.6 gallons and there are 8 bars. Generally ( for my '07), I lose 1 bar per gallon of gas used....about every 40-42 miles ridden.

Enjoy your ride! The only thing better than living within 1/2 day of the Blue Ridge....would be living living within 1-2 hours of it :)
Thanks, that's a helpful way to think about it (that first bar disappears after about 15 miles though).

This part of NC (north central) is a great place for riding - a little over an hour to the BRP, 4-5 hours to Deal's Gap and Cherahola Skyway. Lots of great mountain roads not too far away.

Top Bottom