It's About Time..... (valve check)

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Having near 66 K on the motor now I thought while I had the forks off to service the fluid it may as well be time to drop the radiator fluid and check valve clearances.
We had a couple of tech events, in my garage, during the winter months several years ago, but fell off the radar here when things were changing and re arranging in my life. So I was wondering if any one had the patience to swing by the garage and help me check the valve clearances. The bike has been stripped of its tupperware and the engine cleaned up. I'm also not in a huge hurry either, so scheduling a fun time with a few members would be really fun. Even if its a hot day the garage is nice and cool inside. Refreshments and garlic hamburgers would be on me. I also have spare rooms for over nights ...and the Garlic Festival IS coming up at the end of the month. (I'm ten blocks from there) Any takers?

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fortunet 1

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Seriously? One hundred + views and no takers for this offer to share a valve check session. Hmmmm A little disappointing.

st1300doug

I have 69,850 on the clock....too bad you're not closer. Not too worried....as SO many have said no problem even after 80K

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'd help but I'm 3000 miles away. I will send you the pdf you wanted.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have 145,000 miles on my ST and it has not needed any adjustment yet. Good luck how about IGOFAR maybe he could do that for you?

OP
OP
Fortunet 1

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I have 145,000 miles on my ST and it has not needed any adjustment yet. Good luck how about IGOFAR maybe he could do that for you?
Yeah........... but how many times have you done an inspection for clearance in that many miles?

Gathering what I need to do it in the garage now. (not in a rush) I think I have one volunteer to be wingman, adding another would almost make it a tech event. (who can resist a Garlic Burger anyway) The more the merrier !

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yeah........... but how many times have you done an inspection for clearance in that many miles?

Gathering what I need to do it in the garage now. (not in a rush) I think I have one volunteer to be wingman, adding another would almost make it a tech event. (who can resist a Garlic Burger anyway) The more the merrier !
5 or 6 times now. Take a look at the video on how to do it here and you will find it is not that bad of a job.

Bike
04 ST1300
If you're doing a valve check let me know. I'd like to watch and give some assistance. I have 26K on mine and hear a clicking sound while idling. Don't know if its the valves or the injectors.

OP
OP
Fortunet 1

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
5 or 6 times now. Take a look at the video on how to do it here and you will find it is not that bad of a job.
OK, Thanks Mike...I figured you had most likely performed the check several times. Your record does encourage me. Lets hope my clearances have remained within tolerances as well. I have been watching the video titled ST1300 Taking Valve Clearance Measurements. Seems to me it could use some improving (not knocking it) like if the whole wheel assembly was off it would be easy to show what goes on in the timing hole up front. Also being closer to the parts/engine when doing the work. Maybe there is a better video I haven't run across yet. Its been a while since working my way around this site. I've been too busy riding, lol. Thanks for your help my fellow rider. I was driving my truck back from Monterey/Salinas yesterday. I turned left at a tee intersect and noticed a bike and rider off the road back at the tee. I swung around and found out hje had a flat tire going to work. I said grab yer helmit and hop in. Really nice guy. He called and told his wife "Never mind honey, a nice gentleman just stopped and gave me a ride." I always stop for stranded cyclist's . I have a coupkle of members starting the motion rolling to get this check rolling. It will be easier with the forks off as well. I think even nicer if the head was at standing height instead of kneeling.
down. I might be able to do that in my garage.

OP
OP
Fortunet 1

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
If you're doing a valve check let me know. I'd like to watch and give some assistance. I have 26K on mine and hear a clicking sound while idling. Don't know if its the valves or the injectors.
Are you going to be in the area in the next two weeks or so?

What weight of oil are you using?

Bike
04 ST1300
I was replying to st1300 doug in Columbia, MO. That is only 400 miles from me. I will not be in the Ca area. I use the mfg recommended Honda 10w 40. That seems to be the best IMO for all around performance.

OP
OP
Fortunet 1

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I was replying to st1300 doug in Columbia, MO. That is only 400 miles from me. I will not be in the Ca area. I use the mfg recommended Honda 10w 40. That seems to be the best IMO for all around performance.
There is a zillion threads (and discussions) about motor oil so I wont get into that here. Here is an example of how my opinion has changed. My 2000 Tundra had started to tick in the valve train on startups. I asked my ace mechanic about it and he asked what weight oil i was using. "Oh 10/40 " I said. He said try using what the oil cap says, which was 5/30 .
Almost instantaniously after the oil change the clicking on startups stopped and never returned. I'm now using that Rotella T6 in both the truck and the ST. Both have never been ticking on any start up sequence and I get good clean oil for an extended period. Tundra is about to turn 200 k. The ST 68k.

RCS

I have been watching the video titled ST1300 Taking Valve Clearance Measurements. Seems to me it could use some improving (not knocking it).
You are right. It was done over five years ago. That was the very first and last set of videos, on any subject, that we ever made. To get that set done, we borrowed a garage, borrowed tools, borrowed a motorcycle, borrowed a camera, and I did my first ever editing job to get it published using free very basic software from the internet. We just wanted to get something out there to take a little mystery out of the process. Jump in and do a better video as I would really like to take that set of videos off YouTube as they are not that great relative to today's expectations.

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
Honda recommends 10w-40. So that is what I went with. I believe thinner oils do not hold up well under hot conditions. But seems like its working for you.

OP
OP
Fortunet 1

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Honda recommends 10w-40. So that is what I went with. I believe thinner oils do not hold up well under hot conditions. But seems like its working for you.
I assume one of the reasons my ticking stopped was that the recomended lighter oil in most vehicles gets to the valve train quicker and thus has no chance of running dry for a few seconds. (just guessing) I'm no longer in the school that warmer weather equals higher viscosity, after all the radiator/fan keeps the temp in the oil from skyrocketing.
My T6 Rotella oil has no signs of breaking down and thinning out, (like the oils I've used in the past) so I'll have to throw that out with the wash as well, but convincing someone out of a boat their used to being in is not my place either. Have fun riding two wheels...thats whats important.

Bike
04 ST1300
Youve got me thinking. You have a point, that these are water cooled engines and temperature is well controlled. Here's a question. Why does honda recommend 10W 40.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Why does honda recommend 10W 40.
Because it covers the ambient temperature ranges that one is most likely to be riding their motorcycles in. If you look at a chart (in the owner's manual) that shows the temperature ranges for various oil viscosities, you will see 10W-40 is designed to work well in any of the normal temperatures that we ride in.

The lower number specs how low a temp the oil is suitable for and the higher number .. .. .. blah, blah, blah.

Also, being water cooled or not has little bearing on the oil viscosity used.

Last edited:
Top Bottom