How hard to remove the large cam cover to replace the two o-rings - st1300

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a messy oil leak on the right side of the engine. Flows down the two spark plug holes to the exhaust pipes and spreads over the engine case. Of course you get that burning oil smell. I removed the valve cover and it was was not leaking at all. Would like to remove the cam cover to replace the o-rings but I'm not sure if this is allowed without first dealing with the cam chain tensioner screw, anyone know? (The smaller cam cover piece would not be removed so I was hoping that would be enough to hold the cams in place.) I can't find an existing answer in the forums and I have searched a lot. The Service Manual does not really address replacing o-rings only. Is there an easier way to stop this leak, thanks for your help.

This is my first post. I'm getting plenty of views but no answers, is it in the correct section? I thought the valve adjustment techs would be able to anwer this easily.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Would like to remove the cam cover to replace the o-rings
Just to be clear, reference the PDF file I've included.

If you're just wanting to replace the O-Rings in the Camshaft Holder A (see p.8-10), you should follow the whole procedure to remove both Cam Shaft Holders B & A, which also means you will need to remove the Cam Chain Guide (You do not need to remove the cam chain, or the cam shafts.). The reason for this is that it makes a difference when you are reinstalling the Cam Shaft Holder bolts. There is a specific sequence for torquing the bolts that involves both Cam Shaft Holders A & B. Also, be sure to follow the notes (see NOTICE) concerning how to remove the camshaft holder bolts. Please note, too, that when you remove the Cam Shaft Holder A that you will need to replace the the 4 copper washers that sit under the 4 center bolts with new washers.

To answer the question you pose in your title, it's not very hard. Patience, persistence and following the directions in the service manual. To give you a primer on getting to the cam shaft holders, watch the first video in the following thread: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?97291-ST1300-How-to-videos-(valve-clearance-check
Watch video Part 2 @ 1:35 to see what to expect when reinstalling the cam shaft holders.

Attachments

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is the first reference I've ever seen to the O-rings causing a massive oil leak. How likely would both fail at once and especially when securely bolted down under the cam bearing covers? Does the cavity the spark plugs reside in fill with oil then overflow out of the top?

I know you said the valve cover wasn't leaking but the ultra-common massive leak is simply the rubber heat mat gets caught under the upper back corner of the valve cover.

Bike
09 ST1300
I had these orings leak on mine too. I replaced them when I did my valve clearance shim adjustment, so was in there anyway. I imagine that if you were to turn the crank (counterclockwise looking from front) so that all the cam lobes on the head you are working on are as close to up (valves closed) as you can get this would relieve some of the pressure from valve springs trying to force shafts up and put torsional strain on the end camshaft holder. As long as the cams are not being forced up by valve springs I can't see why you couldn't sneak the large covers off to swap orings. I would be ready to do the whole tensioner/chain/timing procedure however in case this theory does not work. Maybe check your valve clearances first and go in and do any needed adjustments at same time?

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Thank you for your input to this messy oil seepage issue on the right side of the engine. It flows down the two spark plug holes and exits just below the exhaust pipes and spreads over the lower engine case. I just bought this 2010 ST1300 with 12000 miles on it so the oil leak is probably very slow and just built up over time. The two spark plugs are stained brown. The head cover was not leaking at all anywhere around the outside edge. I thought the cover may be leaking around the spark plug holes so I removed the cover and the gasket around the holes was dry and showed no signs of leaking. So, it is apparently coming from the o-rings.

I don't want to go through the trouble of replacing the cam cover o-rings so I'd like your opinion on possibly doing one of the following:
1) Check the torque of the cam cover bolts??? (Yes?, No?)
2) Clean the spark plug holes with carb cleaner and apply permatex ultra black, max oil resistance, high temp gasket maker #82180, or ??? around the seam where the cam cover o-rings are.

(When I put the cover back on I will put the recommended sealant at the half rounds according the service manual.)
Bob

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
permatex ultra black, max oil resistance, high temp gasket maker #82180
Do not use a gasket maker. You should use a non-hardening sealant (a sealant is what is specified in the service manual), such as Permatexs' Form-A-Gasket No.2 Sealant https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-form-a-gasket-no-2-sealant/

Personally, I would not put any sealant around the O-rings, unless the service manual specified it. If a sealant is necessary, there is something more serious going on that needs attention.

For finding the leak, you might like to try this suggestion, as given by Igofar (he knows alot about the ST) "Clean the entire area with contact cleaner, then air dry (blower), then spray some white foot powder all over the areas suspected. When you start the bike and something leaks, it will lead a trail right to the problem."

Last edited:
Bike
09 ST1300
I don't see how oil can get out onto the exhaust from inside the spark plug hole if it is the O ring seals under the camshaft holder
There are little drilled passageways at the bottom of each spark plug well for draining water should it get in there, and holes exit very close to each exhaust port on the outside of the heads.

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Glad I found this post!! :D I noticed the bike smelling like burnt oil when I stopped. Figured that it must be the valve covers. Bought the bike with 57k on it and the person that had it before me had the valves checked at 27k. So I take the cowlings off and see oil that had dripped down from the head. Then remembered seeing a little oil in the spark plug hole. Noticed the hole at the bottom of the hole. Looked at the other side and same thing. Oil leaking from right under the exhaust flange. Seemed strange so I started looking here. I got my question answered. Bet the last guy knew it leaked, but I'll have to say he did a fantastic job of cleaning the bike up before he sold it. So I'll order new gaskets and orings when I check the valves.

Top Bottom