Cross-continental routes

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I live in Toronto, Canada. My kids both live in Los Angeles. I hope some day to ride across the US to go visit them. I did the trip in the back of my parents' station wagon when I was 15. That was strictly on the slab. Would like to try to fit in a bit of old Route 66 and see a bit more off the beaten path while I go about this so I am looking for routes that any here would recommend. Might take me a year or two to plan it but it's a game I would like to play.

Any suggestions?

Bike
2002 ST
I did it this fall. Definitely spend extra days and go see the highlights such as Badlands, Black Hills / Mt Rushmore/ Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Lake Tahoe. On the way back, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Colorado. That is the late season route. For an early season just reverse and head south first. Stay off the Interstates except through the middle. If you want I can share my map on Furkot,

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Jock:

I did Toronto to Los Angeles and back on my ST1300 two years ago. I did a very southern route to get there - more or less down to New Orleans, then west on smaller roads that paralleled I-10. On the way back, I went north up to Salt Lake City, then more or less paralleled I-80 coming home. I enjoyed the trip very much. There are enormous cultural differences between the southern and northern halves of the USA.

It is extraordinarily boring to ride on the American Interstates, so, unless I was 'transiting' an area, I avoided the interstates. There is a very fine collection of secondary roads in the USA called America's Byways, and these are the roads I recommend you ride. Naturally, it will take longer to get from YYZ to LAX on these roads (8 or 10 days each way makes for a comfortable trip), but you will really get the opportunity to see the country and get a sense of local history and culture.

I also highly recommend maps produced by a company called Butler Maps. They make maps specifically aimed a touring motorcyclists, including a 'Route 66' mapset. They are not cheap, but for sure they are worth the money - using those maps, you'll be able to plan a thoroughly interesting and pleasant route.

Regards,
Michael, Toronto

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Definitely look at route 50 which takes you across the heartland from Ocean City, Maryland to Sacramento, CA. It is what route 66 used to be before I40 ate most of it. Highway 50 still is mostly two lane except for Grand Junction to Moab, but the old 'original' road which swings up north and bypasses that section is still there. Good luck on whatever you choose.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Route 50 has some nasty congested areas in the stretch between Annapolis MD and about Middleburg, VA; I'd advise an alternate route for that section if you intend to start from Ocean City. Go either north or south, crossing the Chesapeake on US 301 or the Susquehanna north of Baltimore; give Balto/DC a wide berth. Happily, a lot of the state highways in both MD and VA are very pleasant alternatives.

I took 50 from Middleburg to central Ohio on my very first long trip, a couple years ago, and enjoyed it a great deal. Can't speak to its character from personal experience west of that.

Bike
R1200rt
I thought 95/24/12 scenic byway that cuts thru the middle of Utah was absolutely stunning and fairly desolate. They are on a list of must do roads.

STOC #
I enjoy following rivers. In your example, I would look at following the Ohio, north side, to the Mississippi then up the Arkansas to Colorado over the Continental Divide then follow the Colorado River to the west. I have followed the Arkansas, the Missouri, the Rio Grande & the Snake to name a few. Looks doable in about 10 days.

OP
OP
Highway STar

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Hi Jock:

I did Toronto to Los Angeles and back on my ST1300 two years ago. I did a very southern route to get there - more or less down to New Orleans, then west on smaller roads that paralleled I-10. On the way back, I went north up to Salt Lake City, then more or less paralleled I-80 coming home. I enjoyed the trip very much. There are enormous cultural differences between the southern and northern halves of the USA.

It is extraordinarily boring to ride on the American Interstates, so, unless I was 'transiting' an area, I avoided the interstates. There is a very fine collection of secondary roads in the USA called America's Byways, and these are the roads I recommend you ride. Naturally, it will take longer to get from YYZ to LAX on these roads (8 or 10 days each way makes for a comfortable trip), but you will really get the opportunity to see the country and get a sense of local history and culture.

I also highly recommend maps produced by a company called Butler Maps. They make maps specifically aimed a touring motorcyclists, including a 'Route 66' mapset. They are not cheap, but for sure they are worth the money - using those maps, you'll be able to plan a thoroughly interesting and pleasant route.

Regards,
Michael, Toronto
Great link to the byways website! I will be coming back through BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan to visit family but was thinking to dip back down into the States for the Dakotas and on through under the Lakes as I have more cousins in Illinois and Michigan. Thanks for the input! Aiming for 2018, maybe start off with the Moonshine lunchrun as an homage to Terry.

Top Bottom