2012 doesn't start all of the sudden

So for my first post besides my intro I am asking for help. I'm working on my dad's 2012 that has 665 miles on it. The bike is basically new. He had it out and running early this spring with no problems. All of the sudden now it won't start. The battery was on a tender, as it is right now in my garage, and shows to be fully charged. All fuses are good. I don't believe I can hear the fuel pump cycle although I don't know how loud it should be. My bikes are all very audible when the pump starts so I'm guessing the ST should sound the same. The fuel pump relay was swapped out with a known working relay from my CBR and no change. There is an error code flashing with the side stand down. I believe it's #13, one long flash then three short then a pause. Help!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
13 is a fault in injector #2. You've probably got mice nesting in the area where the throttle bodies are and one of them gnawed on the injector wiring.

:sm1:

--Mark

OP
OP
Little *******s!

So if one injector goes down the ECU shuts to whole bike down, no fuel pump, no nothing?

Whelp, I guess I'm about to dig into a ST1300 for the first time.

Thanks much for your help

OP
OP
I started digging today.

This is different looking. Lucky all clean in here.

I may be on to something

I think I found the problem. Lots 'o bare wires. I doubt ANY of the injectors were working.

I guess I'll be ordering him a new sub-harness and mouse poison for the garage.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
So if one injector goes down the ECU shuts to whole bike down, no fuel pump, no nothing?
Yep. The ECM can't safely run the engine if it can't confirm that all of the injectors are properly connected. The circuit gets grounded to open the valve in the injector. If there's a fault in the wiring and the injector is finding ground elsewhere, it would stay open. That would reduce fuel rail pressure and dump a lot of raw fuel into the intake manifold. Not something you want.

On the plus side (and this is where FI has it all over carburetors), the bike told you exactly what the problem was and it didn't take long to confirm it.

By the way, I've heard that mice avoid peppermint oil like the plague. You might give the wires a coat of that before you install the replacement harness.

--Mark

Bike
2010 ST1300
On the plus side (and this is where FI has it all over carburetors), the bike told you exactly what the problem was and it didn't take long to confirm it.

By the way, I've heard that mice avoid peppermint oil like the plague. You might give the wires a coat of that before you install the replacement harness.

--Mark
On the other hand, if the bike did not have injectors, there would be nothing for the buggers to gnaw on down there. Carbs don't taste so good.

Seriously, you might put some traps out around the bike using peanut butter as bait. Place the traps along a wall, and you can block the back side with a brick or block of wood to force the mouse to approach the trap from the trigger side. I like the good old Victor mouse traps. Push some p-nut butter into the metal loop of the trigger so that the mice have to work to get it all. They can be very careful and lick the food off the top of the trigger w/o setting the trap off.

Bike
2007 ST1300
13 is a fault in injector #2. You've probably got mice nesting in the area where the throttle bodies are and one of them gnawed on the injector wiring.

:sm1:

--Mark
Good call Mark you hit it on the nose.
Those pesky mice are up to no good. I have a cat that is a very good mouser and keeps them at bay. I also use mouse traps if I suspect an invasion.

By the way the car is subject to the same mischief so be careful while it is parked for long periods also.

Bike
2007 ST1300
This kind of makes one wonder when the dealers have all these bikes crated up for a couple of years in their inventory how do they keep the mice out?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Another method of baiting mouse traps: I get a small piece of bacon or ham, put it in the metal bait holder, and heat it briefly with a butane lighter. This crisps up the meat, and makes it impossible to get out without setting off the trap.

OP
OP
An update to my problem...I got the sub-harness, finally it was back ordered, installed it and the bike fired up immediately purring like a v-4 kitten. I changed the oil and filter, gave it a quick wash to get rid of the winter dust and off on a test ride I went. The bike felt perfect as I expected but within a few miles I had a misfire. The bike lacked power and at slow speed when I turned around to head home it actually stalled. Back in the garage I pulled the fuel tank and air box to double check all the connections. There is no error code showing unless I unplug something, the IAT, MAP, or TPS. It starts fine but defiantly has a rough idle. I swapped out the plugs one at a time with a plug I had laying around. Granted it wasn't a new plug but I'm 99% sure it's good. That made no difference either. It occasionally "catches" the missing cylinder and smooths out but I'm at a loss as to what to look for next.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Not sure when you put new fuel in the tank or did you just top it up with the old fuel in there
Try to run the fuel out or extract it with a syphon tube.
Hoping fresh fuel will cure your problems
Also, fuel injector cleaner might help you with your problem

OP
OP
Not sure when you put new fuel in the tank or did you just top it up with the old fuel in there
Try to run the fuel out or extract it with a syphon tube.
Hoping fresh fuel will cure your problems
Also, fuel injector cleaner might help you with your problem
No, no new fuel in the tank. Just the old stuff. Any suggestions for injector cleaner? I've used Sea Foam in the past.

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
I'm thinking you may have a problem with a sensor that come online when the computer goes into closed loop.
Hopefully it's stale gas but I don't think it is.

Top Bottom