I hate MICE!

Randy4697

Randy W McNaught
Bike
2008 ST-1300A
My '08 ST has fallen victim to mice...again. I had one (or more) get in last year and chewed wires and shorted our the ECM (FI fault code & fail to start). This year it has happened again. It is stored in a wooden shed in the back yard and I thought I had it sealed (Gap sealer, steel wool. electronic and regular baited traps this season.:mad:
A steady RED FI code came on and it started & ran OK. The dealer called today and said that wires & vacuum hoses are chewed. They'll be checking the throttle bodies next. I only hope it is not another sorted ECM.
Not sure what to do next. Mechanic seems to think a "baited dunk bucket" will work. I'm at the point that it is perhaps time to sell it off, once repaired. Dealer doesn't want to install a screen over the intake throat as it will/could restrict too much air flow.
Would anyone have some suggestions (Cloves in a bag...Bounce dryer sheets...crushed moth balls (or crushed MICE BALLS..Ha!) around the bike like a Vampire charm....)?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The dealer called today and said that wires & vacuum hoses are chewed. ... Dealer doesn't want to install a screen over the intake throat as it will/could restrict too much air flow.
The mice aren't getting in through the air intake. Worst case if they did would be shredding the air filter; to get any further they'd have to chew through the metal screening on the air filter, which is pretty stout. If they can reach the top of the radiator, it's a short jump to the area between the air box and the vee, which where they're nesting.

I wish I had some advice on how to keep the mice out of there, but it's a hard area to seal off.

--Mark

OP
OP

Randy4697

Randy W McNaught
Bike
2008 ST-1300A
Thanks Mark. I had bought a radiator screen from COX Racing in late spring and just hadn't installed it yet. Is that something you think would cut off their access to the air box?

--Randy

MR Q.

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I would suggest ordinary mouse traps. With bait and other methods, you don't see their little dead carcasses, and never truly know if they are working. I always have a few set in the garage and outside of the house. I don't catch many, but every couple of weeks I have to throw one out. I think most times they come from the neighbors who regularly feed birds.

Bike
2005 Concours
First off, I'd suggest you store the bike somewhere else. Next, I'd get some "Decon Throw Bags". I've used them in the past, and they do seem to work. You can toss them places where you can't reach. If you have pets, you need to place them somewhere where your pets can't get to them. I've always heard, If they can get their nose in a hole, they can get in. Feed them an alternative source and that should help.

I've always kept my bike in my garage. I could put it in the barn, but because of mice, I elected to keep in garage. It gets a little tight sometimes, but it's worth it. No problems to date. OBTW.....Issy, the cat, resides in the garage also, but has free roam too.

Good luck.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My '08 ST has fallen victim to mice...again. I had one (or more) get in last year and chewed wires and shorted our the ECM (FI fault code & fail to start). This year it has happened again. It is stored in a wooden shed in the back yard and I thought I had it sealed (Gap sealer, steel wool. electronic and regular baited traps this season.:mad:
A steady RED FI code came on and it started & ran OK. The dealer called today and said that wires & vacuum hoses are chewed. They'll be checking the throttle bodies next. I only hope it is not another sorted ECM.
Not sure what to do next. Mechanic seems to think a "baited dunk bucket" will work. I'm at the point that it is perhaps time to sell it off, once repaired. Dealer doesn't want to install a screen over the intake throat as it will/could restrict too much air flow.
Would anyone have some suggestions (Cloves in a bag...Bounce dryer sheets...crushed moth balls (or crushed MICE BALLS..Ha!) around the bike like a Vampire charm....)?
How about putting a ring of those sticky pads (mouse traps) around the bike on the floor? I have no idea what they cost - this might be a dumb idea if they are expensive, but having stepped on one once, I can tell you that they for sure work. It is also possible that they have to be warm to work. I just hope you don't have smart mice who rappel onto the bike from above.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Best solution - keep bike in the living room in winter! :D
I had a mouse problem several years ago, since then I placed a few moth balls in or near potential nesting spots on the bike in the fall, no further problem.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I have had a few battles with mice and always seemed to end up losing. Mind you, the carnage was quite a site. I hate them. Although I don't like to use it because of pets and concern for the environment I resorted to commercial poison (not the Home Depot stuff) I got through an anonymous farmer. They finally completely wrecked the camper I had re-stored and I got rid of the mice by getting rid of the camper. good Luck!

OP
OP

Randy4697

Randy W McNaught
Bike
2008 ST-1300A
Thanks to all that replied. The repair bill was partially covered by the 'comprehensive' clause in my insurance policy. I plugged some spaces in the shed with expanding foam; used a caulking gum to fill in the spaces in the floor boards (1/4"- 3/8" wide), placed 6 snap traps around the shed along with 4 sticky traps, mouse poison pellets at the doors AND build a "Suicide Bucket", baited with peanut butter. None of the traps/bait have been tripped yet & it's been a month. I am storing the M/C outside away from any possible source for the balance of this season.

Ride Safely everyone....!:biker:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
FWIW, I live in SoCal and ride year-round, store my bike in my attached garage, and still found a mouse nest between the carbs and airbox last month. Fortunately, I found no damage to anything after cleaning it out.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Best bait I've used is anything 'sticky' chocolate in a spring trap. It saw them off very quickly.

Awkward little so-and-so's had nested at the back of the seat, chewing through my spare headsets and the spare light bulb box. Why there and not somewhere else in the shed, I'll never know?

..Roger

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Can you imagine this problem in a few years when the 'organic' plastic replacement material makes its way into bikes?
Probably as bad as you'd think. Mice and other animals looking for nesting material don't usually have a preference for what it's made from because they don't eat it.

Could be worse: during World War II, several states made license plates out of pressed soybeans since they couldn't get metal and goats apparently took a liking to them.

--Mark

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a high frequency rat repellant gizmo in the garage. It sends out a loud piercing high pitched sound every few seconds Just on the edge of human hearing. If I focus I can just about hear it.

I have no idea how effective it is, but it stands a chance and I have no mice so far.

Bike
VStrom 650
I have a high frequency rat repellant gizmo in the garage. It sends out a loud piercing high pitched sound every few seconds Just on the edge of human hearing. If I focus I can just about hear it.

I have no idea how effective it is, but it stands a chance and I have no mice so far.
A bit like this? And your ears must be better than mine, pardon........
20200909_112646.jpg

Top Bottom