"new" 2014 Guzzi Stelvio NTX

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Picking up a slightly used 2014 orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX on Thursday July 21 in Ottawa and I'm excited. After many years of reading bike reviews and wondering what would be best for me, I hit on this bike and read a great review in a blog comparing it to BMW R1200GS:

http://thewrongwayround-simon.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page_24.html

This led to a search for new and used NTX motorcycles in Ontario and I found a 2014 model with 5100 km (3000 mi) on the clock for $5000 less than the cost of a new one. All this happened within a day, completely surprising Karen since I hadn't even talked about getting rid of the ST 1300. Did I mention I'm excited?

More on the NTX to follow after riding it back from Ottawa.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Stelvio and Norge....Have liked those bikes a lot ever since sitting on em at a show.

Hope it works out well for you Brian. Are you loosing the ST?

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I can understand why you are excited! I look forward to hearing more about your impressions after some seat time.

Dean, based on this, I'd say so.

If you ever get the chance, ride this pass from the east to west ( downhill ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stelvio_Pass

My wife and I went there several years ago with a Yamaha RSV group and we rented a ST1300.

When we got back, my wife insisted that we trade the Royal Star Venture in and get a ST1300.

On the west end of the Pass is the town of Merano, an Italian city where most everyone speaks Austrian.

The food is great and the people are very friendly.

We went south from Innsbruck after touring the Swarovski Crystal Outlet ( all underground )

Don

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Brian I am looking forward to seeing the new toy. Last summer I talked to rider on a Motoguzzi California and he was really happy with the bike, if my memory is right he bought it in Guelph.

Congrats

Gerhard

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Picking up a slightly used 2014 orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX on Thursday July 21 in Ottawa and I'm excited. After many years of reading bike reviews and wondering what would be best for me, I hit on this bike and read a great review in a blog comparing it to BMW R1200GS:

http://thewrongwayround-simon.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page_24.html

This led to a search for new and used NTX motorcycles in Ontario and I found a 2014 model with 5100 km (3000 mi) on the clock for $5000 less than the cost of a new one. All this happened within a day, completely surprising Karen since I hadn't even talked about getting rid of the ST 1300. Did I mention I'm excited?

More on the NTX to follow after riding it back from Ottawa.
Nice Brian. Looking forward to the show!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Nice bike Brian. A bit exotic and you're probably not going to see 15 - 20 of them lined up in a row at an ST event.
This is why we're doing test rides at ONSTOC, so we get a few more convinced to buy them, including you with a few of your retirement dollars. I'll be the one with the clipboard...............

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Nice bike Brian. A bit exotic and you're probably not going to see 15 - 20 of them lined up in a row at an ST event.
Some times I wonder if I'm going to see 15-20 Honda ST bikes. :D

Bike
R1200rt
Problems encountered on the BM:

• [*]The fuel sender unit died - as they all do.
    [*]The battery went flat when I left the sat nav on for three days while I was sick. Not the bikes fault.
    [*]It blew a headlight globe - as they all do.
    [*]That's it.
Problems encountered on the Guzzi:

• [*]I blew an exhaust gasket. Easily fixed.
    [*]It ran on one cylinder for a few minutes once after I left it outside in the rain all night. (UPDATE 4/4/15) It turned out to be a damaged plug cap letting water in. This is quite common if you're not careful removing the plug caps, so go easy on the
    [*]One of my spot lights has stopped working (I haven't had a look to see what the problem is yet).
    [*]That's it.
(UPDATE 4/4/15) Before my last minute trip to Tasmania I had the Guzzi serviced by a non Guzzi mechanic, only because the Guzzi mechanic was too busy to fit me in in my extremely short, two day time frame. At this service I queried the mechanical noise coming from the top end of the motor because the bike was very rattly. The mechanic said that they all do that, and that mine was a quiet one. I felt better. Fast forward 10,000 km and I rolled up to my Guzzi mechanic. As I pulled up in the car park he came out and said "The doesn't sound good". It turns out that Guzzi received a batch of cam followers that weren't up to scratch. They wore, then wore the cams as well. This is obviously not Guzzi's fault, but the fault of the outside supplier. I would be hesitant to buy a bike with all these issues, cam were covered but what's the cost after warranty expires. When I'm out on a trip I want and have to depend on my ride.

OP
OP
SarniaON

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
After reading about problems with this bike on a Moto Guzzi forum, I resolved to rewire the auxillary lights as soon as I got home so they were not tied into the charging system's 30 amp fuse. A separate electrical connection with a relay and a smaller fuse is needed. Unfortunately, I didn't make it home. :eek: The 30 amp fuse blew and the battery drained while I rode. After coasting to a stop, recharging the battery and starting out again, the battery died again after about 40 miles. A dealer in London ON checked out the wiring, replaced a relay and a fuse, installed a new battery and disconnected the auxillary lights. A real adventure! The dealer that sold me the bike has agreed to pay all my out-of-pocket expenses. :)

Tonight I drove 120 miles from Sarnia to London and back to pick up a new golf gadget. The Guzzi ran great and has a lot of character. Unlike Honda STs, there is a growl to the motor and a burbling sound when the throttle is closed. The six speed transmission is very smooth with a light clutch feel similar to an ST. The driveshaft is similar to an ST's with no lash. With 105 peak HP, the bike accelerates well, particularly when kicking it down a gear or two to pass a string of cages. The handlebars are wide and it carves corners well, perhaps due to the narrower rear tire (vs. an ST). The tubeless spoked rims, the engine guard and the extra wind protection on the NTX model are nice touches.

The aluminum cases hold a lot of stuff, but there is no glove box at the front for a garage door opener, the manual, ownership, etc. A Givi Trekker 46 L top box is in my garage and will be added soon, as well as some Mondomoto lights that were never installed on my ST 1300. Now I need to add the top box to the bike so I can carry all the swag that Mellow is sending to ONSTOC. ;)

My 2003 ST1300A is sold and will be driven to Hamilton on Wednesday. I'll miss that bike, but I wanted something new after 12 years. More to follow on the Stelvio NTX as I get to know it better.

OP
OP
SarniaON

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
UPDATE - The Guzzi ran like a champ during the ONSTOC 10 trip to White Lake near Ottawa and I logged over 1,300 miles on the trip.

One pleasant surprise was the size of the gas tank (8.5 gal) and the mileage. Average fuel consumption worked out to 45 mpg and my riding buddies will tell you I'm not a slow driver. There were no gas stations on my route after I passed one in Bancroft, but I made it to White Lake and logged 350 miles on one tank (with 0.75 gallons still in the tank!). Now I'm supposed to carry a siphon tube so my ST friends can fill up when they run out of gas. I now own a "super tanker".

The riding position, the stock seat and the handlebars are all comfortable. Perhaps my knees are slightly more bent than they were on the ST1300. With a 32" inseam and my left foot flat on the ground, my right heel is only up about 1" above the surface. I love the way this bike corners with the narrow rear tire and wide 'bars. It carves corners as well as the ST did and I easily kept up to the leaders on the more spirited rides.

Yes, the dealers are few and far between, but there is one in Guelph, two hours from Sarnia. From everything I've read so far, the Stelvio NTX is easy to maintain including valve adjustments, so trips to the dealer shouldn't be needed very often.

BONUS: The side bags can be removed in a minute and unlike the ST1300, the bike still looks good without them!

There aren't many Stelvios on the road and I haven't seen another one yet in my travels. This is a solid ride.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Wait! Is that the bike that makes a lot of blue smoke ? I seem to remember it almost becoming a bumper sticker on the front of a Peterbuilt also? Correct me if I'm mistaken? Lol.

Top Bottom