ST1100 Taillight lens question

My 1995 ST1100 has a broken taillight lens. I see there are usually a few for sale on eBay at any time, though they come from bikes of various years. Did the taillight assembly change during the ST1100's production run or is it the same for all years?

Also, a salesman at a used-parts place said there are aftermarket manufacturers that make knock-offs. Anyone know if they are OK?

Thanks --Colin

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Go to one of the online parts sellers, like Partzilla, and check the part number of that part for other years. If it is different, they aren't the same, however, I can't think of any year that had any differences in that part.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Pretty sure they are all the same...
No, they are not all exactly the same, but the differences are pretty minor.

A friend of mine in the UK has a ST1100 the same model year as mine. His rear lamp lens appears as one solid rectangle of red light. Mine (a north american bike) appears as two separate red lamps with a dark spot in the middle. Both are OEM lenses.

For what it's worth...

Michael

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I think the question is, do they all interchange as far as fit goes? The various laws (DOT) of different countries probably determine minor changes as Michael mentioned. The head light assembly is another part that is different but still fit all years.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Mine (a north american bike) appears as two separate red lamps with a dark spot in the middle.
Physically will all tail-light assys fit all years, versions and areas (the lens is glued onto the base).

Michael's observation is correct however:
the EC-spec tail-light reflector lacks the divider-plates, thus the red portion is illuminated as one "light-bar", making it more prominent for drivers behind.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
the EC-spec tail-light reflector lacks the divider-plates, thus the red portion is illuminated as one "light-bar", making it more prominent for drivers behind.
Hi Martin:

Which raises a fascinating question for debate: What design is best for the safety of the rider? The EC design provides a larger lit surface, but the North American design gives the vehicle following the benefit of perspective, enabling the vehicle following to better judge distance to the motorcycle and closure rate.

It appears that each regulatory authority (EC vs. FMVSS) is doing what they think is best, but they put the priority on different concepts.

Michael

European vs. North American tail-light - ST 1100

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What design is best for the safety of the rider?
Hi Michael,

yeah, its a bit like the "incandescent vs LED issue", where the latter project only small, illuminated dots through the lens...
I can't tell if the US-spec would give any perspective about position, angle or proximity towards the ST ahead/aside.
But it makes one wonder, since US cars usually carry huge tail-light sections.

Also possible that some stubborn DMV engineer just put a tread on ;-)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Maybe some with some farkling ingenuity maybe the center portion (as in the bike on the right of Michael's pic) could be occupied by a flashing LED. One that flashes a few times then goes solid might be a good choice.

Of course local lighting laws could temper your decisions. And a switch for the option could be a good idea.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Maybe some with some farkling ingenuity maybe the center portion (as in the bike on the right of Michael's pic) could be occupied by a flashing LED. One that flashes a few times then goes solid might be a good choice.
This has been done. I didn't read to see how the center light was powered however.

From Archive Wisdom of the List www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3507.0

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I can't tell if the US-spec would give any perspective about position, angle or proximity towards the ST ahead/aside.
Hi Martin:

I do think that the concept of having two separate rear lights, with a dark gap between them, makes a lot of sense. It enables the vehicle that is following to judge closure rate and (from that) how far away from you they are, because as the following vehicle gets closer, the gap between the two rear lights "opens up".

Aircraft switched to that idea about 25 years ago. Until the 1980s, it was normal to just put one white light at the aft end of the fuselage. Now, almost all large aircraft will have a rear facing white navigation light at the end of each wingtip. Seeing two lights instead of one makes it a lot easier to figure out how far away the other aircraft is.

Michael

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ron said:
This has been done.
In concept yes. Fortunately with LED tech it's much easier to do a very simple mod. And I'd probably not have used a 55W halogen in any event. Even for intermittent use that's a lot of heat in a smallish soft plastic space. But I like the concept.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...as the following vehicle gets closer, the gap between the two rear lights "opens up".
So, highly optimistical, you *assume* that the driver approaching from behind is actually looking and processing the images received?!! :lol:

Methinks you cannot compare Joe Bloggs with a highly trained flight crew ;-)

In theory the gap-thing might make sense, whilst likely being drowned by other visual factors, like readability of license plate and others details of the vehicle manifesting upon closing in.

OP
OP
Bikebandit.com says the Honda OEM price is US$200 just for the taillight lens and mounting plate. I went onto eBay and found several complete taillight assemblies (lens / mounting plate / wiring subharness / bulb holders & bulbs) for sale. The one that appeared to be in best condition was in my home ground of Canada, priced at C$40 (approx. US$30) plus $10 for parcel post. When I clicked on "Buy It Now" the response was virtually instantaneous -- the vendor had it packed off and entered into the Canadian parcel post service the same day. About 3 days later the item was on my doorstep, professionally packaged and in mint condition. It installed no problem and all the light bulbs work.

This was my first experience with eBay and I'm enormously impressed!

Colin in Toronto

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Great find! A true bargain always makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I've never sold on ebay but have bought several small things. I look for a high seller rating: 99.5% or better. It's no guarantee but it seems to help. Most but not all transactions go well.

If you haven't done so already please give appropriate feedback about your transaction. A good seller deserves it and you help out other potential buyers. Again congrats on your score!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
If you haven't done so already please give appropriate feedback about your transaction. A good seller deserves it and you help out other potential buyers.
+1...
I too am frequently amazed how well eBay works; over the years I've flawlessly ordered (and sold) items from all over the world and its a great source for (often rare) bike parts in general (also restoring SOHC Hondas from the 70ies...)

Top Bottom