Russell Day Long vs Laam Seats

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I have owned RDL seats on 3 different bikes and loved them so far. I am getting ready to get another one for my new 1200RTW, but was suggested that I try out a Laam seat. Any thoughts or opinons on the Laam seats? I don't know anything about them....as far as pricing it looks like they are a little cheaper but not enough to make or break the sale.

st1300doug

I bought a LAAM seat from Seth in '12. BEST purchase add-on item I ever made. He had it TWO days.....sent it back and HE paid S&H. I paid MUCH less than ANY other seat make around. I do 500+ mile days with ease. Great guy to work with. He can be hard to get at times......due to a one man show. But, worth the hook up. I now have no less than 7 other friends that have his seats. FJR, ST's, BMW, Guzzi.........go for it!

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Dave, my friend Jeff has a Laam on an FJR. (You met him on the Mt Washington Sunrise last year) He and his wife did the Minuteman on it as well as numerous 500+ mile days and overall they like it. All of this said, they just ordered a Russell because they feel that the Russell is a better choice. If you want to check it out pm me. We can get together. He could tell you better than I why they ordered the Russell.

Bob

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
Not sure how any seat could be an improvement over RDL. Mine certainly saved my azz!!!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I had a terrible experience with Seth Lamm last year. You should check to make sure he has gotten it together before you spend your money. I was not the only one. I'll never try him again!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just a note - I just got back from riding out to Russell to have them refurb my original one (built in 02 - 200,000+ miles on it) and build me another new one. Talking to Jay in the office, he said the big difference between their seats and the others is their spring. As he explained it, foam can only do so much until it compresses and the spring (which is patented IIRC) makes the big difference. It was interesting to learn that their 'least' experienced seat builder has eight years of building seats. I came back with a case of 'Happy Butt' when I rode 800 miles a day to get back! :D Great folks and great service - and they lent me an ST1100 seat to ride on while I was between 'fittings'!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Just a note - I just got back from riding out to Russell to have them refurb my original one (built in 02 - 200,000+ miles on it) and build me another new one. Talking to Jay in the office, he said the big difference between their seats and the others is their spring. As he explained it, foam can only do so much until it compresses and the spring (which is patented IIRC) makes the big difference. It was interesting to learn that their 'least' experienced seat builder has eight years of building seats. I came back with a case of 'Happy Butt' when I rode 800 miles a day to get back! :D Great folks and great service - and they lent me an ST1100 seat to ride on while I was between 'fittings'!

Since I have had such a good experience with RDL, I think I would be crazy to go with another seat.....that old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" Happy Riding Uncle Phil!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a terrible experience with Seth Lamm last year. You should check to make sure he has gotten it together before you spend your money. I was not the only one. I'll never try him again!
I had the same problem with him two years ago. The first time he sent my saddle back, It wasn't right. I bought a used RDL for the SW Tour my boys and Brother made, then I sent the saddle back for a second time. He made it worse! I sold that saddle and recently bought a new RDL. I had to send it back and this time it came back great! I'm still breaking it in, but much better than the Lamm could ever be.

Since I have had such a good experience with RDL, I think I would be crazy to go with another seat.....that old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" Happy Riding Uncle Phil!
Exactly!

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
RDL is the choice for my money, I have both. Seth Laam is impossible to reach by phone or email and that was when we were trying to contact him about a new seat for my wife's Super Tenere. I don't know how you can do business like that, tried over a several month period and finally gave up. Afterward I found out I was not alone in my difficulties. I do have one of his seats that came with my bike and it is not nearly as good as my Russel. Hate to bad mouth him but he deserves it?.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Laam is a popular option with the FJR crowd but I'm going with another Russell for mine. I have a RDL on my ST and love it. Oh yeah, going with the heated option so I can be like my BMW friends. LOL

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Laam is a popular option with the FJR crowd but I'm going with another Russell for mine. I have a RDL on my ST and love it. Oh yeah, going with the heated option so I can be like my BMW friends. LOL
Trust me, you'll love that heated saddle. The one I picked up a couple of years ago is heated and great during my winter commutes! :D

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I think Lamm got overloaded a while back when several people (myself included) went on and on about how what a great value his seats are (I love mine)
He just couldn't handle all the orders, when I got mine he was super nice and delivered very quickly.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I think Laam got overloaded a while back when several people (myself included) went on and on about how what a great value his seats are (I love mine)
He just couldn't handle all the orders, when I got mine he was super nice and delivered very quickly.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Even though I decided to stick with RDL and will be ordering it in next couple days. I did email Laam with a question and he did get back to me in a day with a return email and also a phone call.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I did email Laam with a question and he did get back to me in a day with a return email and also a phone call.
Well that is much better than last year. I need to sell the Lamm seat I had built last year for my BMW G650GS. I ended up buying a Touratech seat to get what I needed. Then I traded the bike in on a new Tiger 800XCX. I ordered a new Sargent Performance Plus seat for it and love it!

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Ordered the russell day long yesterday! I called them they have about an 8 week back log....no problem I can wait. Plus I was lucky enough to have someone let me borrow a stock seat to use while mine gets sent to russell, Thank you!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom