Helmets Visor/Shield Tape

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
It's the time of year when the suns spends a lot of time on either horizon. I would like to put a piece of tape across the top of my visor.

The question is, what kind of tape? I would like something that doesn't get gooey. Flexibility and ability to withstand soapy washings would be a big plus.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Chuck, I had a sun strip made of 3M 33+ black electrical tape on my old Shoei for 4 years and now I've 2 years on the new helmet. It won't become sticky and as I never remove it after application it's a permanent feature. After a couple experiments to gauge the width I wanted I took a piece of tape and laid it on a plastic cutting board and razor cut it to the width I wanted and tapered the ends to neaten the application. Once it's there it's part of the sunshade.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
painter's tape......
+1 6 one inch strips loaded onto my Tylenol bottle in the tankbag. You can place it exactly where you need it and leave the visor where you want it. Rip it off when no longer needed. Will not craze the visor like most other tapes will, BTDT.

John

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
It's the time of year when the suns spends a lot of time on either horizon. I would like to put a piece of tape across the top of my visor.

The question is, what kind of tape? I would like something that doesn't get gooey. Flexibility and ability to withstand soapy washings would be a big plus.

Suggestions?
On my ARAI helmet I use Fog City Speed Tint. It's also available through Amazon.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Years back I ran across some red/white/blue third-party Honda branded strips. They were nice because they were curved and gave straight horizontal line as a visor instead of curve which always bugged me.

Otherwise I've always used black electrical tape for the most part. I was able to stretch an curve it across the visor to my liking.

I need to hit a store a get some 3M 33+ because it's much better than ordinary 'black tape'.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Search for this type of Helmet visor. Remove the snaps and use Velcro tape to hold it in place.
The short lip will create a nice shadow to see through that you will not get with just using tape.
I have been using this for years and it works best. Velcro holds well at 80 mph, ST1300 wind screen down..

Motorcycle helmet sun cap.jpg

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The short lip will create a nice shadow to see through that you will not get with just using tape.
I have been using this for years and it works best.
Short lip or long lip and any shadows... doesn't help the eyes when the sun is on the horizon, as the OP was asking about.

I hate heading to work in the morning during spring and fall. 40 miles of east bound interstate looking right at the glow. Worse, blocking the bright light from my eyes doesn't ensure the cage drivers aren't blinded by it when changing lanes and fail to see me. So double extra-caution on those commutes.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Short lip is what I use. I too drive into the sun both ways on my commute. It really helps when the sun is right on the horizon!
You have to tilt you head down or to the side to adjust the cutoff. Just like a baseball hat...

+1 on the extra-caution.

Note:

Attach the Velcro to the top edge of the face shield not to the helmet. Do not mount the visor flat but set it so the tip is low and the sides are higher. Set the tip so that it is two or three fingers above the horizon when your head is level. This is what works for me. The Velcro makes it easy to adjust or to remove when the sun it high or at your back.

Last edited:

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
All the edges and ends stay sealed and waterproof on the black ELECTRICAL Tape on my QUEST shield for well over a year at a time.
Easy to flatten out and cut to the shape U want & Never peels off.

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Thanks for all the replies. Probably going to try the quality electrical tape as it's easy to come by. Thanks

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I tried the black electrical tape on the face shield. The problem is that the sun creates a fog (glare, haze) as it passes through the clear plastic or even your sun glasses. The visor creates a thin line of shadow that is free of this fog that is easier to see through. If you are using the tape, just block the sun with your hand and you will see how the shadow improves your vision through the shield or sun glasses.... The visor is a hand that does not get tired.

When you drive straight into the sun tinted film is not good enough, black electrical tape is way better, and the visor is best. My two cents....

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I used an old X Ray film cut to your spec's. Although most are digital now.
This is what I've been using, based on a recommendation here which included a sheet of film. Yep, hard to find these days.
I slide it up and down as needed, between the shell and the foam of the helmet.

Top Bottom