INNOVV K1 2-channel video

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I’ve had my INNOVV K1 motorcycle camera installed and operating for long enough now to have a sense of what I like and what I wish were different. Before I get to that, though, let’s go through the features and compare it to the other camera I have, a GoPro Hero (original model).

Power Source
K1: Bike (connected to switched circuit I added a couple years ago). Also includes internal battery to support recording for up to an hour when parked, if enabled
GoPro: Internal battery – not connected to bike power in any way

Start/stop
K1: Auto-starts recording when power is supplied to the DVR (on my install, this is when the key is turned); records continuously until bike is powered off
GoPro: Manual power on/off, manual start/stop recording

Channels
K1: 2
GoPro: ]How many cameras do you want to mount and deal with

Recording media
K1: Micro-SD (Speed Class 10 or higher)
GoPro: SD

GPS aware
K1: Integrated- GPS included. This is not a navigation system; it provides the location data used to stamp the videos with lat/lon, speed, and direction of travel info
GoPro: No

Field of view
K1: 140 degrees (each channel)
GoPro: Depends on which housing you have

Audio sensitivity
K1: Low- virtually no audio on recordings
GoPro: High

K1: Cams mount where you put them; DVR mounts under seat or in cradle
GoPro: Wherever you put it

Mounting Type
K1: "L" bracket to cam; attach bracket to bike with adhesives or bolt on depending on location
GoPro: RAM mount or GoPro adhesive-backed mount

Wiring
K1: Must route cables through bike frame / bodywork
GoPro: None

Image stability
K1: Depends on where / how mounted
GoPro: Depends on where / how mounted

Resolution
K1: 1920 x 1080 HD (16:9 aspect ratio)
GoPro: 1080p HD; 1080 x 600

Disk space management
K1: Automatically records over oldest video segments unless they are marked to be saved, once disk is full
GoPro: Recording stops when media is full

Info embedding
K1: Automatically embeds cam #, GPS coords (if enabled and connected), direction of travel, speed (if GPS is enabled and connected, and if info embedding is enabled), date, time. Has a MAX SPEED cap (optional) that turns off speed display after a preset speed is reached.
GoPro: No info embedded in image

File naming
K1: Sequential, plus cam # and segment start time
GoPro: Sequential number

Segment duration
K1: Choose 1, 2, 5, or 10 minute segment lengths
GoPro: Continuous until recording is stopped

Auto-save files
K1: Files can be manually marked for retention; if the G-force sensor option is enabled, the DVR will automatically save the current segment when a shock is detected)
GoPro: No

Multi-purpose
K1: No- this unit is dedicated to use on the bike and not easily transplanted back and forth at a moment’s notice
GoPro: Yes; as a wearable, mine goes SCUBA diving as well as motorcycling and zip lining with me

Weather resistance
K1: Cameras: yes; DVR: no. GPS: not much
GoPro: Yes, provided you have the solid back plate on the housing and not the slotted version.

Here's some sample footage to watch while you plow through my review... :)

[video=youtube_share;ZYSVBZhDCU8]

And here is a video sample from the GoPro for comparison, if you like.

[video=youtube_share;1ka0kKuaHrE]

Okay enough geeky tech stuff; let’s get to the review.

I like it. It appears to be well thought-out, and well-constructed. There are no obviously cheesy corners cut, and a lot of effort has gone into making it easy to install and use. What few things I didn't find immediately self-evident were covered on the INNOVV website.

It takes clear, watchable images and does it automagically with no thought or action required from me. (That in and of itself is worth the price of admission.) I don’t have to remember to turn it on or off, or to start and stop recording.

The camera lenses can be easily and discreetly tucked away so they are out of obvious view; that coupled with the fact that they are hard-wired to the DVR (which lives under the seat) makes it easy for honest people to stay honest. Contrast that to solutions like the GoPro, which is as obvious as they get and just as easily removed.

Get the biggest media card you can (you have to choose and acquire your own; the unit does not ship with even a minimal placeholder), and make sure you get one in the proper speed class.
You are going to chew up a LOT of disk capacity in rapid fashion.

Dial the G-force sensitivity down as far as you can, or you are going to get a LOT of short segments even if you have it set to record in 10 minute increments.

Disable the lane change warning system; it isn’t ready for prime time and will emit a nearly continuous stream of beeps on even a routine roll around the neighborhood.

Apart from getting the front camera to stay in place (see below and my installation article for that story) installation is simple and requires very few tools. Once the wires are tucked away or corralled, it’s a reasonably clean result.

It’s been a struggle, as chronicled in my installation article, to get the front camera to stay put. I have done some superficial damage to the front fender- there are scratches where there did not used to be any- and I have cracked the optional glass lens protective plate because the cam came loose during a ride and flopped around, but with any luck I have that sorted out now. If not, I may resort to one of the optional accessory mounts available from INNOVV.

I recently compared video shot with the INNOVV against a video I shot last spring using my GoPro Hero. I traveled the same road (though in opposite directions) under similar weather and lighting conditions. Because the direction of travel was opposite it won’t be possible to do direct side-by-side split-screen comparisons, but I thought the image quality from the GoPro was marginally better than from the K1. That said, I could see reflections, dirt, and bugs on the windshield in the GoPro footage and none in the K1 video since it is not dash-mounted. All in all, it’s probably a wash and your preference will be driven by your motivation to install and operate either one.

So, motivation: I was interested in the K1 more for forensic reasons than for creating entertainment ride-along videos for sharing on YouTube. I want to have a record when I get involved with an unfavorable interaction with another vehicle, or a deer, or… Once the novelty wears off it is likely that I will not even check the video between rides most of the time.

The GoPro was purchased for other reasons and has been pressed into occasional service while I’ve been riding. As often as not something goes wrong with it- I forget the media, the media are full, the battery is either discharged or dies while in use; I forget whether the camera is recording or not (and stop recording when I think I’m starting it etc.)

Last edited:
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Thanks for the review Keith.

I just started using a Contour +2 and another dash cam (el cheapo style) for rides and/or whenever I feel like recording. So far I'm digging it but I don't really have a computer capable of editing any of the videos. So, at this time I save the stuff I'm interested in keeping or eventually editing and at some point the rest will go away.

I'm currently working on the capable computer but that is going to take some saving time.

This system looks like it would do a pretty good job at recording the ride for whatever reason. If I stick with the video thing and end up with a computer able to edit I might have to add this system to my want list.

Thanks again for the review.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keith,

Thanks for the report! I now have mine and need to mount it. I'm looking forward to having it on my commuter bike, so I don't have to worry about recharging and removing videos from my GoPro.

I hope to have it mounted this weekend!

Thanks again!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Thanks for an incredibly well thought out and organized review. I would like to have some kind of helmet cam and the Contour+2 might be the way to go. But a bike cam really interests me and the K1 seems to do a great job in that arena. The "set and forget" aspect is a major plus as is the "always on the bike" mounting and front and rear views. The K1 is a farkle that can be both entertaining and incredibly useful (I hope not needed as a forensic tool).

With the maximum segment being 10min in length is there much of a time gap between segments? Longer segments might be desirable but bite size chunks might be easier to deal with in editing as well as tracking down ::shudder:: forensic bits. Thanks again for the great review.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
With the maximum segment being 10min in length is there much of a time gap between segments?
No almost none. Maybe a frame or three but that's it. I put a couple files end-to-end in the Windows Media Player play list and saw a momentary pause as the player switched files but nothing major.

I will say that if the change in files happens at juuuuuust the wrong moment you could miss out on capturing that critical moment when the cage driver started a lane change or left turn across your line of travel, or when Bambi broke from cover to skitter across the road in front of you, but you'll catch most of the action.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
UPDATE

I've been riding with this camera for a couple months now. In that time:

• I've experienced a couple temporary "quirks" where the DVR seems to lose its mind and lock into some sort of loop.
  • On one occasion it was a beastly hot day and the DVR was inside the pouch. I put it down to excessive heat, and pulled the DVR out of the case.
  • More recently, it locked itself into a loop where it kept repeating "Recording started. Recording started. Recording started." and was unresponsive to any of the controls. I finally hit the Reset button and it quieted down and gave me no further problems. I have not checked whether it actually has been recording video since that episode. This was on a fairly cool day (mid-60's) and at the very start of my ride so I do not think it was heat-related.
  • It seems to have failed to start recording a few times but it's hard to catch it in the act- or, I guess, NOT in the act.
  • Every once in a while it seems to shut off or reset itself for no immediately apparent reason.

Overall I am still quite pleased with it, but it's not been quiiiiiiiiite so trouble-free and reliable as I'd hoped. On the other hand it wasn't terribly expensive- too much to toss and replace every season but not so much that I feel like I've been really gypped and sold a piece of junk.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
UPDATE

I've been riding with this camera for a couple months now. In that time:

• I've experienced a couple temporary "quirks" where the DVR seems to lose its mind and lock into some sort of loop.
  • On one occasion it was a beastly hot day and the DVR was inside the pouch. I put it down to excessive heat, and pulled the DVR out of the case.
  • More recently, it locked itself into a loop where it kept repeating "Recording started. Recording started. Recording started." and was unresponsive to any of the controls. I finally hit the Reset button and it quieted down and gave me no further problems. I have not checked whether it actually has been recording video since that episode. This was on a fairly cool day (mid-60's) and at the very start of my ride so I do not think it was heat-related.
  • It seems to have failed to start recording a few times but it's hard to catch it in the act- or, I guess, NOT in the act.
  • Every once in a while it seems to shut off or reset itself for no immediately apparent reason.

Overall I am still quite pleased with it, but it's not been quiiiiiiiiite so trouble-free and reliable as I'd hoped. On the other hand it wasn't terribly expensive- too much to toss and replace every season but not so much that I feel like I've been really gypped and sold a piece of junk.
After my 4,800 mile trip, I found a few issues. One is I don't think it likes chips bigger than 64GB. Two times I had it loop with repeating "Recording Stopped", until I pulled the battery. Both times was with a 128GB chip. Didn't think to try the button! Also, after those times, with the 128 chip still in, it would start and stop every 12 to 13 seconds! I never had any issues with one of the 64GB chips in.

I still haven't had the time to start going through my videos yet. Although Dave has placed a few on Facebook! So a few of you probably saw them, since I shared them.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I don't think it likes chips bigger than 64GB. Two times I had it loop with repeating "Recording Stopped", until I pulled the battery. Both times was with a 128GB chip. Didn't think to try the button! Also, after those times, with the 128 chip still in, it would start and stop every 12 to 13 seconds! I never had any issues with one of the 64GB chips in.
I have had both of those things happen, and I have a 128GB chip. May be time to downsize.

The math: front cam uses 900 MB/10 minute segment; rear cam about 600. So 1.5 GB / 10 minutes * 6 = 7.5 GB / hour -> 64 GB card should hold ~ 8.5 hours of data. Enough for my needs.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have had both of those things happen, and I have a 128GB hip. May be time to downsize.

The math: front cam uses 900 MB/10 minute segment; rear cam about 600. So 1.5 GB / 0 minutes * 6 = 7.5 GB / hour -> 64 GB card should hold ~ 8.5 hours of data. Enough for my needs.
Yeah, that's why I wanted to try the 128GB chip, because Dave and I were doing more than 8.5 hours some days. So, I'll just have to watch the time and change out the 64GB more often!

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have had both of those things happen, and I have a 128GB hip. May be time to downsize.

The math: front cam uses 900 MB/10 minute segment; rear cam about 600. So 1.5 GB / 0 minutes * 6 = 7.5 GB / hour -> 64 GB card should hold ~ 8.5 hours of data. Enough for my needs.
Let's update this thread a bit more!

I have re-installed the cameras on my 2012 in anticipation for my ride to Oregon tomorrow.

Going home last night, It was doing the ole "Recodring Stopped" routine and the DVR was so hot, I couldn't even touch it! :22yikes: I pulled the battery and it stopped and then I left it out of its case to cool down.

This morning when I got into work, it was doing it again! And all of this with a 64GB chip. Great!

I've been reading some of the reviews on these and one issue everyone seems to have is the location that you have your DVR sitting. If the DVR/Cable connections to the DVRs are in an area where they can move around, they seem to cause the "Restart" issue, so I'm thinking maybe they can cause the "Recording Stopped" issues as well! Time to re-think my DVR location!

Keith, Have you had anymore issues from yours?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Keith, Have you had anymore issues from yours?
Yep I sure have. For a while I think it was because somehow the 64GB card had a glitch; reformatting it seemed to help. But it is inconsistent.

I've had questions about temperature range (and have found from time to time that the DVR was more than warm, though I do not check it routinely). Have had to pull the battery in order to get the thing to shut off, at least once, when it was stuck in an error loop.

For the moment at least, I'm back to the 128GB card since the 64 was not notably more reliable.

Bottom line: the whole thing takes more attention, and is less reliable, than I had hoped. Kind of a hit-or-miss deal, but (maybe) better than nothing.

On my Gettysburg weekend in April it seemed to operate exactly as it was supposed to; on the other hand, two weeks ago it had problems (recording one second segments then shutting down) until I pulled the DVR and reformatted the 128 GB card. It appears (based on file sizes) that it worked okay for the remainder of that day, but the next morning it went back to the one-second-then-shutoff mode for some period of time. After a while it settled down- about the time I left the parking lot and actually started riding- and ran about right the rest of the four hour ride home. There were a couple places where segments ended sooner than expected, but the next segment picked up right away. No idea what caused the early terminations.

I may look into relocating the DVR location, but to where? I don't want it out in plain sight or in the weather. I don't want the cables flopping around or exposed. Since I keep the DVR in the supplied pouch, and use the pouch flap to secure the cables, cables popping loose doesn't seem like it should be the problem. Maybe I need to rethink how I have that set up; rather than having the DVR oriented so that the plugs are at the flap end of the pouch perhaps flipping it so that they are at the bottom end? Got any thoughts, Bob?

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yep I sure have. For a while I think it was because somehow the 64GB card had a glitch; reformatting it seemed to help. But it is inconsistent.

I've had questions about temperature range (and have found from time to time that the DVR was more than warm, though I do not check it routinely). Have had to pull the battery in order to get the thing to shut off, at least once, when it was stuck in an error loop.

For the moment at least, I'm back to the 128GB card since the 64 was not notably more reliable.

Bottom line: the whole thing takes more attention, and is less reliable, than I had hoped. Kind of a hit-or-miss deal, but (maybe) better than nothing.

On my Gettysburg weekend in April it seemed to operate exactly as it was supposed to; on the other hand, two weeks ago it had problems (recording one second segments then shutting down) until I pulled the DVR and reformatted the 128 GB card. It appears (based on file sizes) that it worked okay for the remainder of that day, but the next morning it went back to the one-second-then-shutoff mode for some period of time. After a while it settled down- about the time I left the parking lot and actually started riding- and ran about right the rest of the four hour ride home. There were a couple places where segments ended sooner than expected, but the next segment picked up right away. No idea what caused the early terminations.

I may look into relocating the DVR location, but to where? I don't want it out in plain sight or in the weather. I don't want the cables flopping around or exposed. Since I keep the DVR in the supplied pouch, and use the pouch flap to secure the cables, cables popping loose doesn't seem like it should be the problem. Maybe I need to rethink how I have that set up; rather than having the DVR oriented so that the plugs are at the flap end of the pouch perhaps flipping it so that they are at the bottom end? Got any thoughts, Bob?
Actually... I've been doing more reading and from what I'm hearing (seeing?) if the unit gets bounced around it will cause it to act weird. Like the short recording times and such. Also, if the cables are moving around (yeah, i had mine in the pouch too, but I don't think that is fool proof to keeping them stable) will cause the same issues. SO I relocated mine for this trip. I'll let you know what I come up with. I have a piece of foam under the rear of my tankbag to keep it horizontal, so I cut a bunch of it out and have it stuffed under that.

I'll let you know what happens!

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Looking at the segment lengths from my most recent trip, about 3/4 of them (30 out of 41) ended sooner than programmed, and with a frame or two of video "noise" at the end. But I do also see from the review that I was not entirely on road surfaces suitable for super-speedway F1 or MotoGP use... :) So yes, maybe some manner of additional cushioning is in order.

I wonder whether orientation (lying flat vs. on its side vs. on end) affects its shock tolerance?

FWIW, I have the "G sensor" (the feature that is supposed to interrupt / preserve the latest recording in the event of a sudden impact, such as a crash) either shut off or set at the lowest sensitivity. But that might still produce the results we are seeing, at least in some cases. I also have the lane impingement warning shut off; it cried wolf at parked cars in my neighborhood.

No explanation has occurred to me for the series of 0 to 10 second segments it captured while I was just maneuvering or sitting in the hotel parking lot. Certainly not jostling or impact; I can't imagine what would have caused the cables to jiggle, either.

Keep us posted on what you find; I'll do the same.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
This just in: rearranging the camera inside the pouch, so that the cables enter from the bottom and are therefore "protected" from jiggling by the pouch body... hasn't the slightest effect. The camera is still prone to the start... immediate stop behavior, and it's definitely not because of a shock since it happened while the bike was sitting still. Grrrrrrr....

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
This just in: I am decidedly less than entirely pleased with this product, now that I've had it in use for 15 months. It is much more finicky and less reliable than I expected.

Yesterday, for example, I did a ride that covered about 8 hours of clock time, of which probably seven were actual riding. As currently configured I have a 64GB card installed (Samsung Pro, which I believe to be in the range of specs specified for the media).

IMG_1367.jpg

It's been reformatted a couple of times, using the DVR's "FORMAT" function, because of earlier card errors that caused the unit to fail to operate as expected.

I have about 20 seconds of video recorded at the start, then the recorder evidently decided to take the rest of the morning off and did nothing for the next three-plus hours. It came back to life in the afternoon, when I re-started the bike after my lunch stop. Had something unfortunate occurred in the time between those two events there'd be no record of it. Having continuously-recorded footage as forensic evidence if needed was precisely why I selected and installed this particular camera, so when it is not operating as advertised it completely defeats the purpose.

A second glitch occurred later in the day, when between one frame and the next the rear channel went from normal recorded view to this:

BadVideoImage.jpg

It stayed that way for quite a while, before auto-magically reverting to the correct presentation. Once again, the correction occurred only after I had shut the bike (and therefore the DVR) off for a gas stop; when the bike restarted so did the DVR. And, there were moments earlier in the day where the rear channel displayed all manner of extraordinarily bad behaviors, but quickly reverted to proper function.

Reviewing results from previous rides, I see that the same thing happened a couple weeks ago: front channel running normally, then a blast of video junk, followed by a brief return to normal operation, then... nothing. And the rear channel had stopped recording after the previous segment. So, both channels shut off and stopped recording, losing over 2.5 hours of ride. That segment of the ride also included a gas stop, so there was a period when the engine was not running at all. But unlike yesterday, the DVR did NOT come back to life when the bike was restarted.

On other days earlier this year, perhaps not unrelated to very warm summer conditions, the DVR has gotten quite warm and then stuck in a loop of some sort where the only way out was to pull it, pull the battery (the unit would not respond to the power off/on button), let it cool down, and reinstall it.

So, my conclusion is that there is something flaky with the DVR itself or perhaps with my installation, and that it isn't quiiiiiiite ready for prime time. Perhaps under the seat isn't really a good place for it- it DOES get warm under there, and the containing pouch probably acts as an additional heat-trapping insulator, although that better not have been the issue yesterday when the air temperature was below 70 degrees for the entire ride.

Still, WHEN it works as advertised it works well. But it takes a lot more fiddling and minding than I expected, and you have to be able to live with chances that it will crap out from time to time.

I may submit my findings to the vendor, to see what they say. It's only fair to them to see if there's a fix, or if they will do anything to make it right, before I give up altogether.

@SupraSabre (Bob): have you had any more experiences to share?

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just bad ones...

Just before my trip to Oregon last June, I noticed that the little rubber piece at the wire connection to the front camera came out, so I proceeded to "fix" it. somehow I managed to pinch a wire putting it back together. I thought I fixed that, but the front camera didn't work the whole trip. The rear camera worked to some extent, but it still flaked out more that I care for. I moved the DVD where it sits behind/below my tankbag, that did seem to help a little.

I'm not thrilled with it either!

DaveH

Max Spying
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I've been less than thrilled with the K1. I ordered an additional set of cameras for my car and had the DVR mounted on my dash. My biggest complaint is the VERY annoying "Record Stopped" message! Sometimes the unit would go a month or two with no problems and then for no apparent reason I would have periods it would malfunction on a daily basis..GRRRRRRR. The placement of the DVR on my dash didn't allow it or the cables to be loose or bounce around but I would still get the message. I've finally ripped it out of the car a couple of days ago and it's now relegated to use on the ST only so consequently it won't get much use.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been less than thrilled with the K1. I ordered an additional set of cameras for my car and had the DVR mounted on my dash. My biggest complaint is the VERY annoying "Record Stopped" message! Sometimes the unit would go a month or two with no problems and then for no apparent reason I would have periods it would malfunction on a daily basis..GRRRRRRR. The placement of the DVR on my dash didn't allow it or the cables to be loose or bounce around but I would still get the message. I've finally ripped it out of the car a couple of days ago and it's now relegated to use on the ST only so consequently it won't get much use.
I ripped it out of my ST1300, so it probably won't get any use! :eek:4:

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
It is close to an uninstall on mine as well. Have either of you contacted Innovv to tell your story of woe? I haven't, yet, but may give them an opportunity to respond.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is close to an uninstall on mine as well. Have either of you contacted Innovv to tell your story of woe? I haven't, yet, but may give them an opportunity to respond.
My opinion is the connectors to the DVR unit. I think unless you have them glued in and firmly mounted, they move around and cause it to malfunction!

And no I haven't contacted them.

Top Bottom