OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I contacted INNOVV and got a response, but it was not terribly helpful. They suggested I try pulling the battery on the DVR, and separately try changing memory cards. Both the 64 and 128 GB cards I have are the high-speed variety that they recommend so I have not done that test, but pulling the battery stopped all of the bad behavior. Unfortunately it also stopped the good behavior: the camera is now simply dead weight because it does nothing. Putting the battery back in returns it to the former failure behavior.

Some else recently posted a review in the Farkles > Cameras/Video area, of what looks to be a very comparable product (the HaloCam M1). It costs a fraction of what INNOVV is asking for the K2 (the successor model to the K1 that I have) and appears to have nearly all the same features. The one YouTube review that I have watched gave the Halo a fairly enthusiastic thumbs-up, so I may go that route the next time I feel some spare sheckels burning a hole in my pocket.

Whatever the outcome, I'm feeling like I'm done with the INNOVV line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I will make my final effort to live with this unit. I've ordered a 128 GB SanDisk Extreme Ultra micro SD card. Speed class 10, UHS class 3, SD XC type. 30 MB/sec minimum sustained write speed. If this card doesn't get the job done, I'm probably finished with this camera. Might not really know for sure, though, until next summer after a good long HOT ride, because heat on the DVR appears to be one of the contributing factors. That said, I've experienced issues on days where the temperature was only in the 50s, and I expect there are still some of those coming this year.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
First results with the new card are not encouraging. On Halloween evening I put the card in, formatted it, and verified that the unit was still operable. I left the ignition on for a while (I was experimenting to see whether the Battery Tender could keep up with the draw from the lights, now that they're LEDs; nope. But that's a separate story) and the DVR recorded fine for a few minutes.

Then, as I was fiddling around with the wiring, the display changed from the front camera image to a reading claiming I was going 120 mph- quite an accomplishment with the rear wheel in the air and the bike on the center stand, don't you think? It was unresponsive to any of the control buttons, and resumed the old "Recording STOPPED... Recording STOPPED... Recording STOPPED") routine. Out with the battery to shut the dratted thing up, then back in.

It was clearly not caused by a heat issue since the DVR was out in the open on a pleasant autumn evening (as opposed to being in the pouch and buried under the seat on a hot August day), and it had only been running for a couple minutes. So that's not the culprit, or at least not the only one.

It does seem as though even the slightest disturbance to the power lead might have triggered the issue, so SupraSabre's contention may in fact be on the money. On my install, at least, the power lead is the wire that has the least extra length, and that therefore may be most prone to interruption of a good connection. (Thought: does anyone know of a micro-USB extension cable, with a female plug at one end and a male at the other? Adding 6 inches or a foot of slack might be an interesting and low-cost experiment.)

Having absolutely nothing to lose except time, I'll leave the new card in place for a while and see what results I get. This being November, however, opportunities for extensive testing are likely to be scarce until about March so there could be a while before my next update.

Top Bottom