No spark no fuel won't start

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Yep you guys did say check the kill switch, but I could swear that when it was off the pump didn't work.
The fuel pump doesn't run with the kill switch switch off (ENGINE STOP position) - that switch kills both the ignition and fuel pump. Note that when the ignition is first turned on with the kill switch in the engine run position, the fuel pump only runs for a couple of seconds before the engine is started, just long enough to pressurize the fuel rails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
79 cbx. St1300
Yes I agree pump doesn't run in off position that's why I though the switch was good but after checking voltage from switch to fist connection, that's when I discovered the low voltage yet the pump ran. Go figure that one defies all logic.I will be dissecting that wire harness shortly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
79 cbx. St1300
Well I have found the reason I have no spark. Someone did not reconnect the mini connection for the black and white wires to the coils. Only problem is I can't find where it goes. Any help on this would be appreciated. I hate digging into something that someone else has messed with as it throws a lot more possibilities at you.

OP
OP
Bike
79 cbx. St1300
Hi looks like I found it down behind fuse box . Hope that's it

OP
OP
Bike
79 cbx. St1300
Happy days I now have a running bike. Big thanks to all of those who contributed to this problem, and thanks to Anna's dad for the link to wire diagram and explanation of the circuit on another thread thanks again. I will keep you posted on my alternator mod using kabota tractor parts $60:00 dollars for parts.

OP
OP
Bike
79 cbx. St1300
The harness had been re wrapped and that wire was located fed next to the fuel gauge wire that's what got me I opened up the harness and rerouted it to behind the fuse box plugged it in and bingo she fired up instantly just like I had ran it earlier today.

OP
OP
Bike
79 cbx. St1300
Hi update well I have the bike back together and have ridden about 50 miles around town seems to be doing good. I checked the alternator output and was getting 14.6 /14.7 volts so looks like the mod I did is working. Shure beets the price of parts from the steelers. I will figure out how to post pics and info on this mod. I guess I will start a new thread for that. It shure is good to be on the road, and thanks to all that contributed to figuring this out.

Top Bottom