Q for guys who've crashed

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I don't have near the experience of the others but I have crashed. It was entirely my fault, and due entirely to 18 year old hormones on a beautiful spring day.

I waited 35 years before venturing back into riding- not so much because of lack of confidence, but because that was how long it took for my sainted mother to get to a point where my behavior was no longer able to cause her concern and angst.

I am now a very cautious rider, which makes me a relatively slow rider- and I don't care. I do not want to get on the ground and I know that my chances are vastly improved by staying well within my comfort limits- and, hopefully, also within my limited skill limits. I cannot control the behavior of other motorists, or of deer. But I can take every precaution to put myself in situations that minimize those risks to the best of my ability, wile still allowing me to ride. I think sometimes of the padlock in the road, and what it did. In the end, I have accepted the risk that such a random thing may also happen to me. Riding ATTGAT is the best defense I have against such a thing, while still allowing me to ride and enjoy it.

+1 to all of those who have said that only YOU can decide whether you have reached the point where worry and concern outweigh riding enjoyment and satisfaction.

Best of luck to you, whatever your final decision, and hopes that the decision you make is the one that makes you comfortable. It may not be the same decision you make in the future, and that is no more anyone else's business to make than the one you make now.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
6. It only takes a few moments of 'stupid' to cause a whole lot of hurt and a bike is no place to get a case of it.
I whole-heartedly agree with everything Uncle Phil has said but would like to make one very minor change to item 6:

6. It only takes a few milliseconds of 'stupid' to cause a whole lot of hurt and a bike is no place to get a case of it.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I agree with the 'take a break' philosophy. If you have a lot of stuff going on in the family, riding can be a great way to burn off some stress unless you're too focused on the family issues that it impairs your riding abilities and increases the risk of a crash. I took the basic course many years ago and I recall the instructor saying that you shouldn't ride if HATP applies (that is, if you're hot, angry, tired...or have to pee!). Stress can be very tiring and anger/ anxiety provoking. Most importantly, take care of yourself and the Mrs. If you're concerned about the next crash (meaning too focused on that aspect of riding), you won't enjoy the ride and become too 'target focused'. I'd wait until you can get past that and enjoy riding again. There's no harm or foul in taking a break and hopefully at some point you'll realize your love for riding again and replace the CTX. Best of luck to you!

Bike
2005 ST1300
Rode from the age of 11 (dirt bikes), then numerous street bikes, laid down a DR650 in 1984, totally my fault, hit marbles in a corner. Kept riding after I healed, then a drunk driver nailed me in a 3/4 head on, lucky there, only tore ligaments in my left knee. Then rode a Ninja 900 and after that a GSXR 1100. Then one day on my GSXR I had a lady in a van almost run me over in my own lane, that was kind of the last straw for me, wasn't enjoying riding much anymore. Quit riding for 27 years, then 3 years ago at age 54 my new wife tells me she is going to buy a bike, so I said the heck with it and bought a VTR1000, she got a Ninja 250. Started having fun on the bike again, and 2 yrs ago I bought my 2005 ST1300, this spring got my wife a CTX700T and we are having a blast riding around. I think I am much less aggressive riding and far more careful than when I was younger, hopefully I can continue to ride for many more years.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Rode from the age of 11 (dirt bikes), then numerous street bikes, laid down a DR650 in 1984, totally my fault, hit marbles in a corner. Kept riding after I healed, then a drunk driver nailed me in a 3/4 head on, lucky there, only tore ligaments in my left knee. Then rode a Ninja 900 and after that a GSXR 1100. Then one day on my GSXR I had a lady in a van almost run me over in my own lane, that was kind of the last straw for me, wasn't enjoying riding much anymore. Quit riding for 27 years, then 3 years ago at age 54 my new wife tells me she is going to buy a bike, so I said the heck with it and bought a VTR1000, she got a Ninja 250. Started having fun on the bike again, and 2 yrs ago I bought my 2005 ST1300, this spring got my wife a CTX700T and we are having a blast riding around. I think I am much less aggressive riding and far more careful than when I was younger, hopefully I can continue to ride for many more years.
Hi All: I think CalgaryST has put his finger on a key issue. Like him, I am MUCH less aggressive when riding now than when I was younger. I do not take the bike if I am in a hurry or if I'm tired or annoyed about something. On the road, I don't pass unless it is a sure thing; I just sit and watch the world go by and if someone wants by me - have at it buddy! I just wiggle over to near the centreline and make sure that they give me my full share of the road - and off they go.

One other thing - I look VERY carefully at everyone at every intersection as I approach or if I am sitting waiting to move and they are approaching. In doing that, I make (what I hope is) a pretty informed judgement call about what they might do - and if I don't like what I see, I simply pull over and stop. I am especially cautious around:
- BMW 3-series cars, Nissan Z350's, souped-up Honda Civics, Mustangs/Camaros (particularly older ones and any that are black or have decals or flames painted on them) - these are often driven by young twits on their phones or showing off for their girlfriends;
- minivans full of kids - often driven by Moms or Dads who are distracted by somebody whining about something or looking out someone elses' window;
- older beat-up OldsmoBuicks, Tauruses, Chrysler 300s, Cadillacs and Mercury Grand Marquis/Ford Crown Vics - often driven by older drivers whose vision, hearing and reflexes may not be the best;
- pick-up trucks/big SUVs driven by older fat guys - in my experience, often not thinking about anyone else on the road;
- anything driven by a man wearing a hat - call it a superstition, but those dudes are often pre-occupied as well.

Anyhow, riding a motorcycle is ALL about being defensive and in ways that few car drivers ever think about. I also think that my 25 years away from bikes - but driving small sports cars, helped keep my defensive skills up. Now, when I drive my Miata, I feel totally invincible compared to being on the ST1300 and when I drive my Ford Escape - I AM totally invincible ;).

I think that one of the things that appeals to me about the bike is precisely that it DOES take a fair bit of skill and foresight to ride well and safely and I like that element of constantly being tested and learning new things. Elsewhere on this site there is a newer rider asking about speed in corners. As I read that thread, I felt that the best answers (aside from suggestions to take a rider instruction course) are simply that one must learn by doing, and gain experience - and that is correct IMHO. Motorcycling, while potentially dangerous, is actually a very absorbing and demanding pastime and one that is always presenting new challenges and opportunities - just as for example, sailing a small boat or flying a light aircraft does. Sitting on one's @rse watching football, baseball, hockey or car racing (or perish the thought - "reality" TV - whatever the heck that is...) may also be fun, but it does not present any sort of physical, emotional or intellectual challenge and so in my view, what we talk about, and do, here on ST Owners is waaaaayyyyy better and will keep us young much longer.

Anyhow, stay safe out there everyone and let's keep the fun happening!

Pete

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Taking a brake is always a good idea, and I don't mean only over issues like fatigue...

Couple of years back a friend and I rode our ST's through the twisties, having lots of fun... miles and hours passing by our minds really fell into it, adrenalin pumping, literally fading out reality, fully focussed, blasting through corners, scraping pegs, smoking all and everything out there... in an alert moment I checked the speedo... realising that we're doing 120mph and more on narrow, twisty B- & C-roads I snapped the throttle close and stopped on the very next space ahead...
My friend, totally agitated complained "...why we're stopping?! We just had sooo much fun!!!..."
I answered: "...yep, just because of that... cared to check your speedo?? I just clocked over 190kph, so lets cool it a bit..."

Fact is: he didn't... :neutral:

I am way more focussed, thus actually safer while "going strongly" (and picking up more and more speed always creeps up on me ;-) ), compared to prowling around (like in a group ride...yuch... :roll: ) where my mind dulls and just wanders off, loosing focus of what's ahead (as well quite dangerous...), but when really pushing the envelope already the tiniest irregularity can get you into big trouble... a hand full of sand/gravel, a small diesel spill in just the wrong spot will raise havoc... mostly you'll recover nicely because being fully focussed (and over the ST being sooo well balanced), but it is rolling the dice...
Thus for me the often referred "situation awareness" does not stop on what's around and ahead of me, it also includes my very own state and actions...

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
what we talk about, and do, here on ST Owners is waaaaayyyyy better and will keep us young much longer.
I'm quite sure that has been the case for me Pete, (a main reason why I got right back on) but, I do admit to doing a lot of that other stuff too.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
After my deer encounter it took some time to get back on the bike. 15 broken ribs take time to heal!

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I had my first get off when I was 16 and broke my collar bone, some damage to bike. I was riding again the same summer on same bike after bike and I healed. Oct 7 2011 missed a corner and totaled ST broke my collar bone and some ribs but the next month I was doing a fly and ride to Maryland for new st1300.(Not sure if all my bones were healed yet:D.) May 2016 struck a deer totaled ST but I received no injuries 1 week later I have a new KTM 1290 S A. I guess I will keep on riding:D

Last edited:
Bike
94 ST1100
I've been riding for 40+ years. I had one bad accident in 2005. A guy did a U-turn in front of me on a 2 lane mountain road. Had 2 surgeries of 3 years from that and totaled a really nice Speed Triple. I had a new Speed Triple in the garage before I had the first surgery on my knee. Still riding, no more unscheduled dismounts.

OP
OP
sleepngbear
Bike
'14 Honda Valkyrie
Well I've decided it's not quite time to hang it up just yet. I put a deposit on a 'new' red 2014 Valkyrie on Saturday. If I'm gonna stay in the game, I may as well stay all the way in it. They're still taking orders on new '14s, and I'm actually getting it for a good deal less than what I paid for the CTX1300 two years ago. I'm just going to make sure whenever I leave the house I'm in the right mindset and remember to keep myself completely focused on the road. In the mean time, while I'm waiting for it to come in, any apprehension about riding again has been replaced by that new-bike anticipation.

Just want to thank everyone for your most valuable insight -- it really helped me to see there's life after crash. ;)

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Atta boy Ed.

BTW - a cager in a BMW tried to get me today on a routine ride to buddy's home (3 km away from my place) - but I defeated him with a combination of my headlight modulator and LOUD horn.

At the next traffic light, he rolled his window down and sheepishly asked me if I was an LEO - and I said "No, but I had his licence number and if he EVER pulled a stupid stunt like that again, I would report him to the police and then I would start a legal war to have his license revoked.

He apologised - slowly pulled away from the light.

Who knows - it's a struggle, but I do not intend to allow anyone (no matter what they drive) to dictate what I drive - or ride.

Pete

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Well, hope it's not too late to come to the party. Congrats, though, on the new ride.

One crash when I was 18 and first riding on the street, my friend turned left in front of me on his motorcycle, no signals. My fault was I was going too fast and had been drinking. I could have avoided it. No serious injuries on either side. I got on it and rode it home, using only the front brake because the back was a pretzel. I learned many lessons from that one.

Almost 40 years later and I have become a decent defensive driver and am accident free so far. I ride and drive often enough that I can usually predict the stupid things people are going to do and avoid them and the ones I didn't predict I handle by not being in a situation I can't get out of, ie too fast, too close, etc. I also ride ATTGAT as does my wife who is my regular passenger. My family and my in-laws accept that this is a thing that I do and my wife enjoys the time we spend together doing something we both have an interest in. I still have a lot of miles to go before I stop riding.

That said, it is/was up to you, 'cuz you are the one with your hand on the bars, on a bike or in life.

The only thing I'll add as I haven't seen it mentioned is, just because you decide something is absolutely a certain way from here on out today doesn't mean you can't completely change your mind tomorrow. It's healthy to be able to change your mind.

Ride safe everyone. I am proud to have friends like you on the road.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
When I tossed the Black down a ditch, I was fine, and rode the bike into work to let them know I was not gonna work that day, went home and got the bike legal enough to ride until the repair parts came in, and continued riding the next day. then again it and the XL250s were my only transportation at the time.

STOC #
HI,
Lots of "no big deal" get-offs accept for one.. FDR drive in Manhattan back in the '70's... Long story short broke my right fibula.. Worked on the bike whilst wearing the cast and got right back on after the cast was removed...
m

Top Bottom