Article [13] ST1300 - Base Funnel Screws (Air Box) Fix

dparker182

Doug Parker
Re: ST1300 (Air Box) Base Funnel Screws - Fix

Yes - thats the one I'm looking for. Turbo City would be 38.00 + shipping.

Bike
ST1300

byron your an angel and master of the st, I can never get over how much help you guys are here, I took my airbox off this morning to see if somehting was wrong, I installed the ccs-100 amonth or so ago and my throttle cable had gotten a little extra play in it, so I went in to investigate and found that it must of streched a little, maybe I,m twisting it to hard LOL,, the ccs was still in good standing, Of coourse I stripped one screw the first time and another the second time I disassembled the airbox, so what will I do, get the screws and shims and washers from the local home depot like described here, great help and thanks a million, this bike is getting easier to work on more and more, I will get a torque wrench soon, any suggestions
Sincerely Terry

Bike
ST1300

maybe just a caution for the install, for a kinda reminder to watch out, 1 minute epoxy will fix mine

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #

t-bone,

I'm curious about your statement, "1 minute epoxy will fix mine". Are you talking about using it on the newly made allen screw setup or are you talking about fixing a stripped phlilips head?

joweb94

Bob Webster
Bike
MG California 1400

byron your an angel and master of the st, I can never get over how much help you guys are here, I took my airbox off this morning to see if somehting was wrong, I installed the ccs-100 amonth or so ago and my throttle cable had gotten a little extra play in it, so I went in to investigate and found that it must of streched a little, maybe I,m twisting it to hard LOL,, the ccs was still in good standing, Of coourse I stripped one screw the first time and another the second time I disassembled the airbox, so what will I do, get the screws and shims and washers from the local home depot like described here, great help and thanks a million, this bike is getting easier to work on more and more, I will get a torque wrench soon, any suggestions
Sincerely Terry

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52428&highlight=torque+wrench

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Re: ST1300-Base Funnel Screws (Air Box) Fix

The 1100 was the same way. I just slotted a stubborn screw, and took it out with a flat blade, no problem. Honda must loctite all their fasteners in and around carbs/TB's. Makes sense. You can see why they made that screw 1 pc., after dropping spacer into TB.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT

++ on the Allen socket heads, never seen a Phillips screw that was worth a darn in any application !

:slv13: MIKE

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

I have been wanting to make some of these but can't seem to source the spacers anywhere locally. I have tried Lowes and Ace Hardware. They have steel and nylon but no aluminum. The best they have had was about 3' of aluminum tubing that I could cut down but that was $10 and more than I need. I found some online. I may have to place an order somewhere.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #

Try one of the Home Depot's in your area.

Bike
2012 GL1800 III

I just installed my TCI61# FPR , and I agree phillips heads are not the best choice. I was lucky, P2 12" phillips, downward pressure and twist, broke all free, but 1 did get one a little skewed..It installed back solid though. Good article. For those who want a possible plug and play type solution.. check fastenal http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0154418. I was matching up using the supplied measurements in the article.See under Product details ...Excellent article and write up.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800

I have two cents to add. I have always had good luck using the phillips screw bits meant for drywall screws. My BIL is a drywaller and he gets his bits for the screw gun from the contractor supplier. They are very, very hard metal and shaped slightly different than your average Phillips #2. They really bite well and when they get the slightest bit worn you throw it away and get new one. If you know you're going to be working on something with questionable quality phillips head screws run out and get a few of these bits. In this case, I think these OEM screws in question are made of lead-loy and very easy to strip so you might only have one chance to get them out.

Good Article!

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #

Or you can be lucky and they are all loose.

JZH

International Bodger
JIS screwdrivers are also available at McMaster-Carr. The JIS screws generally won't strip out if loosened with a JIS driver...

Ciao,

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
One thing that makes the hex bolts an improvement over the JIS screws is that if you're not carrying a JIS screwdriver, hex keys are much easier to find if you need one.

--Mark

Norm reccomends dipping the tip of a screwdriver into valve lapping compound to help it grip the head of a questionable screw.

Bike
ST1300 ABS 2005
stuck air box screws extracted to free up idle speed screw

The 8 (JIS head, 5mm) bolts that hold the air box to the throttle body, were seized, but I removed 4 of them, with WD40 and a VERSA, JIS impact screwdriver.

The 4 screws that were not budging, I used a very clever extractor called "pro-grabbit"

http://prograbit.com/Pages/grabitPro.php

it looks like a cordless drill bit. It has a LEFT hand drill bit with shelf stop on one side, then flip the bit over, it has the correct size screw extractor bit the other side.
into a cordless drill, Left - couterclockwise, slow drilling and within 10 seconds, it grabs the stubborn bolt out!

Dont forget to block the throttle bores gently with clean rags, to protect metalic shards and mishaps...

I replaced all 8 bolts with Alan, 5mm x 20mm, added flat washers, lock washers and anti-seize paste on the threads.

A three second spray of WD40 onto the idle speed assembly (left side of throttle bodies, just follow the adjuster cable to the pivot assembly, between cylinder #1 and #4) and what has been a very stuck, immobile idle adjustment screw, now moves freely and can be easily adjusted.

2 hours work all up. Just need to remember to rotate the idle screw a bit every month or so, to prevent it from getting stuck again!

hope this is usefull for anyone with same issue.

good luck​

Last edited:
Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
JIS screwdrivers are also available at McMaster-Carr. The JIS screws generally won't strip out if loosened with a JIS driver...

Ciao,
I wish this were so. I used only a JIS screwdriver to remove the screws to my airbox. Alas, the very last screw head stripped with very light force. Since I didn't have the time or parts to R&R the fuel tank I replaced all of the screws and am now waiting for my next scheduled maintenance to fix it. :)

Top Bottom