Exhaust Clamps - revisited

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've been researching replacement exhaust clamps and seen the Auto Zone standard steel clamps recommended in another thread. I also noted that someone suggested these LINK when posted some time ago, but cannot find that thread now.

Has anyone come up with workable stainless steel exhaust pipe clamps? Do the Dennis Kirk clamps work as advertised? Someone noted that Honda's OEM clamps have a detent to hold the packing inside the pipe, but with all the alternatives, it sounds like this is not needed.

Summit Racing has a bewildering array of ex clamps at prices that range from the reasonable to ridiculous.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Here are the ones I have on my bike, just crawled under to see what the part number on them, all they say "48-56".

That should relate to 48mm-56mm

The Outside Diameter of the socket that the exhaust pipe goes in is 56mm.

Amazon has the exact ones.

https://www.amazon.com/HPS-SSTC-48-56-48mm-Stainless-T-Bolt/dp/B0058W7VCU

VHPS (SSTC-48-56) 48mm - 56mm Stainless Steel T-Bolt Clamp
The ones I have are almost fully extended, so there is no stud/Tee bolt sticking out to catch on something.
Say a 1/4" sticks out after the ny-loc nut is torqued.
Was hoping there was a manufacture name on it, but there wasn't.

Attachments

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Ny-loc nut on an exhaust clamp?
Yes, just like they show on the exhaust clamp on the Dennis Kirk web page.

https://www.denniskirk.com/cobra/stainless-t-bolt-exhaust-clamp.p442692.prd/442692.sku

It's a constant pressure heavy duty clamp, so the stainless nut will not loosen off even if you put a regular nut on there. If you inclined to do so, you could also add a jam nut to it.

Just use stainless steel nuts if you want to change it.
It is night and day from what Honda supplied us.

thekaz

haz gone feral
Here are the ones I have on my bike, just crawled under to see what the part number on them, all they say "48-56".

That should relate to 48mm-56mm

The Outside Diameter of the socket that the exhaust pipe goes in is 56mm.

Amazon has the exact ones.

https://www.amazon.com/HPS-SSTC-48-56-48mm-Stainless-T-Bolt/dp/B0058W7VCU

VHPS (SSTC-48-56) 48mm - 56mm Stainless Steel T-Bolt Clamp
The ones I have are almost fully extended, so there is no stud/Tee bolt sticking out to catch on something.
Say a 1/4" sticks out after the ny-loc nut is torqued.
Was hoping there was a manufacture name on it, but there wasn't.
I have these type as well, after 40000KM so far so go :D

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I used t-bolt clamps on my GL1000's. No problems after 40,000 miles on my high mile bike. They are so much more durable than the stock clamps which rust and peel over time.....if that sort of thing bothers you. Got mine from Dennis Kirk also.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you are an owner that hasn't seized up an exhaust clamp yet remember to occasionally spray thread lubricant on the bolts and then loosen them and retighten to keep them from seizing up. Mine are still original and working but I think what helped me is changing out two or three tires a year for 10 years. I was moving the bolts often enough to keep them from seizing.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
If you are an owner that hasn't seized up an exhaust clamp yet remember to occasionally spray thread lubricant on the bolts and then loosen them and retighten to keep them from seizing up. Mine are still original and working but I think what helped me is changing out two or three tires a year for 10 years. I was moving the bolts often enough to keep them from seizing.
I understand that and agree w/ you. But the big difference between you and me is the number of tires per year we go through (along with a zillion other differences). A tire will last me a couple of years - I don't commute by bike, and I wouldn't last long taking my ST to the supermarket - if one of the soccer moms didn't off me, her daughter/son probably would driving the family SUV while texting. I expect that I'm going to be loosening and lubing the exhaust clamps a lot more often in the future to prevent this problem.

And, two weeks ago I hooked up with a BMW MOA club that has weekly rides - and as I ease into retirement, I'm going to be riding a lot more often. So tire changes will increase, too.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
If you are an owner that hasn't seized up an exhaust clamp yet remember to occasionally spray thread lubricant on the bolts and then loosen them and retighten to keep them from seizing up. I was moving the bolts often enough to keep them from seizing.
Dave, my bolts from my rusted out exhaust clamps are like brand new as I was using an anti seize thread compound on them. It's the clamp that rusted and then broke in half from corrosion.
We use a lot of calcium chloride instead of road salt up here. They apply it either wet or dry. Mainly wet as I think they can stretch it out and use less this way. So if the city thinks the weather might go below freezing, they will apply the liquid CC the night before or early in the morning. What I have to do on my commute is to roger dodger all of those thin lines that the bulk liquid truck has applied. I feel that's what was eating up my clamps. No worries now as everything is stainless steel now and anti seize is applied to the threads still.

Top Bottom