The dreaded heat..

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Having just returned from another very hot Greece trip I found myself wondering if I can't prevent the bike producing excessive heat, then perhaps I could prevent it from burning my shins and backside by having some heat shield type of material sewn into my mesh suit to protect the affected areas... I do of course accept that travelling in hot countries will make you hot :eek:: but some protection against the overheating of those specific areas would be a real boon!

Do you think something like NOMEX may fit the bill? If not, any suggestions?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I have found that replacing the engine oil (with diesel oil 15w-40) and doing a TB sync, will greatly reduce the heat.

OP
OP
Steve398

Steve398

Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
First, thanks to those who have offered suggestions...

I have found that replacing the engine oil (with diesel oil 15w-40) and doing a TB sync, will greatly reduce the heat.
Yep... tried that one, but no appreciable difference

Check out this link:

http://www.donferrario.com/St1300

This is very, very interesting.
Yep, read that before... but to me it would possibly cause more problems than it may solve. The idea of wrapping up the engine and underseat seems wrong somehow...

These also insulate your legs against heat : http://www.kneenecks.com/
That's the sort of thing I'm looking for but I don't want to wrap all of my legs up, just specific areas.

I've also tried Saintunes with no cat.
Drilling the plastic bodywork above the radiator to introduce cool air past the rad.
Removing the sidepods to allow hot air to escape from the side of the engine.

None of them have made any appreciable difference.. I guess I just have a hot bike!

Bike
2005 ST1300
Somehow I have been able to cool down my "twins" when riding in heat.

Not by design but just sheer coincidence. 100 is still hot, but 90-95 is doable when moving.

First I added MLC blades which get my legs in the wind and space between the twins and the tank, resulting in a bit more airflow in the right spot. They do not help stopped. My inseam is 34" so a shorter inseam may have different results.

Next I bought some Tourmaster Venture Air pants. They seem to have the protective material in most of the right spots, especially in the crotch.

Although it may not help the Twins, my Camelback in my tank bag w/hose and my cooling vest sure help keep me cool for 1-1/2 -2 hours before I need to re-wet the vest and add ice water to the Camelback.

I just did a couple days in 95-105 degree heat through California. I could not have made it without these helpful items.

I have owned several large displacement bikes. 90 + is hot on all of them. But at least the blades and pants get my ST on par.

Good luck. Please share any solutions you find. Excessive heat is my enemy too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Do you think something like NOMEX may fit the bill? If not, any suggestions?
Nomex is probably the last thing you want to wear. The material is thin and does not breath in the summer time. I've had years of experience wearing them at work.

OP
OP
Steve398

Steve398

Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Nomex is probably the last thing you want to wear. The material is thin and does not breath in the summer time. I've had years of experience wearing them at work.
OK, thanks for the info... What I intend to do with it is sew two large patches behind the shin areas of my mesh suit, so it doesn't matter if it doesn't breathe and being thin could be an advantage, all I need it to do is cut down on transferred heat from the bike to my shin. Will it do that?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Wow, really, a TB sync, you might have a visitor soon. I'll bring my IR camera so we can do a before and after on the heat dissipation.
I have an IR heat gun that has shown the results of both before and after, but your welcome to come one down and see for yourself.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I use tinfoil when I bake a potato! That will also trap all the heat in those areas and I wonder what effect it would have on all the hoses, lines, and electrical parts over time?
One of our local forum members (justytroll) had a severe reaction to the heat on his lower legs. He tried several types of oil, both synthetic and motorcycle specific dino oil, to no avail.
We switched him over to the Delo 400, and did a TB sync, and the heat on his bike went away.
I've also had a couple forum members complain of serious heat, both before adding foil and after.
One that comes to mind had a rather unique finding....we threw everything at his bike, TB sync, CB adjustment, Oil, different shields etc. He said it was almost unbearable for him.
If I remember correctly, it turns out it was a prescription medication that was causing him to be over sensitive to the heat his bike was putting out, and not the bike at all.
These bikes really don't put that much heat out...110 - 120 degrees off the frame maybe?
Heck, try riding a new Harley Davidson Bagger, with the oil tank behind your leg, and the cylinder in front of your leg, and the engine between your legs, with no plastic to shield you at all.
IIRC they put of temps of around 240 - 275 degrees.
Almost everyone that I have found that complains about heat, had a huge aftermarket shield, and rode with it all the way up, blocking almost all the air flow!
Rant over.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Check out this link:

http://www.donferrario.com/St1300

This is very, very interesting.
I do not subscribe to keeping heat contained to the level that Mr. Ferrario suggests; I see to much potential for harm to the bike. Also, be aware that this Mylar insulation is conductive.

A much simpler and easier approach is to just line the underside of your seat with this Mylar bubble wrap with a focus toward the front at the gas tank interface. I did this years ago, very effective. Does not help with your legs, but you should be wearing protective clothing/boots anyway.

OP
OP
Steve398

Steve398

Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I do not subscribe to keeping heat contained to the level that Mr. Ferrario suggests; I see to much potential for harm to the bike. Also, be aware that this Mylar insulation is conductive.

Does not help with your legs, but you should be wearing protective clothing/boots anyway.
We do, always... and probably more than most. Rev'it mesh suit, Daytona boots, mesh gloves, and a Point Two air vest... and my shins are very, very hot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve398

Steve398

Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Almost everyone that I have found that complains about heat, had a huge aftermarket shield, and rode with it all the way up, blocking almost all the air flow!
Rant over.
Aftermarket shield - Yes
Huge - No
All the way up - Absolutely not, actually, all the way down!

But I really don't see how anything a windscreen does would/would not cause excessive heat on my shins...

I've lived with, and suffered from, this excess heat from when the bike was new in 2009. I've tried everything I can think of to resolve this problem, and the NOMEX patches on my shin area has got to be worth a try hasn't it? I love going down to Greece and intend doing so in the future, be it on the bike or my latest purchase, a Mazda Miata or MX-5 as they are known in the UK, but we would both prefer to go on the bike.

What I'm trying to ascertain in this thread is if those who wear the NOMEX, or something similar, find that it stops or even slows down the transfer of heat to their body. If it does so then this may be a way around this known ST1300 problem.

Last edited:

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I tried all the forum fixes and none seemed to help. Then I installed a set of Baker Air Wings, problem solved.
http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/index.htm
I've always been chasing the heat solution. Would you happen to have any good pics of the Air Wings attached to your bike? If not...

Thanks for sharing. I had a set on my Wing. Made a huge difference! I just ordered a set for mine.
...Keith, could you post some of your install? Did you get the New or the Original?

Skip

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
What I'm trying to ascertain in this thread is if those who wear the NOMEX, or something similar, find that it stops or even slows down the transfer of heat to their body. If it does so then this may be a way around this known ST1300 problem
From my experience with Nomex is that they do not breath in the summer time. But they do in the winter time. Nomex is designed to protect you from a flash fire. It is a flame retardant material. I would always wear 100% cotton under it.
I'm not so sure that a layer of cotton wouldn't work better for you. Think about how much a fireman has to wear to protect them from the heat. My grandfather use to tell me how much he had to wear to work in the steel mill to protect him from the heat.

...Keith, could you post some of your install? Did you get the New or the Original?

Skip
I sure will. I can't wait to give them a try. They made a huge difference on my Wing.

Top Bottom