The dreaded heat..

Bike
2010 ST1300
I tried all the forum fixes and none seemed to help. Then I installed a set of Baker Air Wings, problem solved.
http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/index.htm
I, too, would like to see some pictures if you can post them. The Baker Air Wing site has very small pictures that do not give a very good idea of how they attach or what they look like on the bike.

I thought of attaching something similar to the outboard sides of my windshield to channel some air onto my chest at speed. Have not done this yet but its in the back of my mind.

OP
OP
Steve398

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I've asked my good friend 'Google' for his advice on whether NOMEX will stop heat transference. It would seem from this article by the manufacturers that it will, they even make oven gloves out of it -

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/nomex.html

I've sent an enquiry to DuPont who I hope will clarify and advise on the suitability of NOMEX or other available material to do the job.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I've always been chasing the heat solution. Would you happen to have any good pics of the Air Wings attached to your bike? If not...

...Keith, could you post some of your install? Did you get the New or the Original?

Skip
Skip...
We met up at Vinny's...I have a set I built on mine, if you want to see them or take a short ride to test out. Mine are pretty close copies of the Baker units. I tried the Don Ferrario insulation job, but it seemed to make it WORSE. The Air Wings do make it more tolerable.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Here are a few pictures of my install....

Note: I added a speed nut at the inspection port area to strengthen the attachment point, and used a slightly longer bolt at the other attachment point. Have experience no excessive flex or problems even at relatively high speeds. I just built this pair of "wings" to tst out the concept, and meant to build permanent ones out of tinted ( Dark ) Plexi, but these worked so well, I never built the new ones. Perhaps this winter.

Attachments

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I find it sad that some owners have a tough time with these heating issues. We are in the hottest part of our season,, and I am riding in shorts frequently now. My only bike mod so far,, is to remove the inner cowls. Actually,, I just never installed them after my valve inspection. It is counter intuitive for me to accept that some st's have this heating issue,, while others do not. But it seems that is well established. Once I get my Corbin front seat,, I will insulate the bottom of the pan. The last long ride I did on a hot day,, I eventually unfolded my seat beads for some extra air flow. And I have witnessed how much the frame and tank can heat up,, but that is manageable. I can see how adding the lower fairing deflectors would throw the hot air out further from the legs,,, but I can't justify the $200.us price tag. Glad I am lucky enuff to have a cool blue bike,, Cat'

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Just my 2 cents here. Yes, I feel sorry for those that are having a tough time with heat issues and all of these suggested solutions are really good attempts for helping those riders get relief. I've never had much issue with heat as we don't experience the kind of humid heat other areas have, but I will add a small suggestion here.
When I purchased a Corbin seat there was an option for the rider portion (a one piece saddle) to be larger or smaller, putting the driver forward and hugging the tank on the shorter version. I opted for more room for the driver and a shorter portion for the passenger. This allows me to slide further back and allow air to get behind the tank, or slide forward when you want that "knees against the cowl" type of riding. I wasn't sure when I bought my seat but now I see it was the right decision. Its also a little nicer on the knee fold problem so prevalent in long distances, and standing up (on the pegs) from the rump back position is easier as well. I can see that if you have a seat that makes you hug the tank a lot...it would be a problem for me as well. Hope you get this fixed for the sake of the twins. Happy Riding is the goal !

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
My Air Wings showed up today. I'll try to get them put on Monday. That is my next day off work. The installation looks pretty simple. Two wholes to drill on each side. There is a template to use.

MR Q.

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I built the same type of wings for mine and used Ram mounts so that they are easily adjusted or removed. They seemed to work in certain conditions but not all the time. Its just another band aid. I ended up buying another bike for touring.
Do you have any pictures of your ram ball set up?

STOC #
I do not subscribe to keeping heat contained to the level that Mr. Ferrario suggests; I see to much potential for harm to the bike. Also, be aware that this Mylar insulation is conductive.

A much simpler and easier approach is to just line the underside of your seat with this Mylar bubble wrap with a focus toward the front at the gas tank interface. I did this years ago, very effective. Does not help with your legs, but you should be wearing protective clothing/boots anyway.
John,

The procedure described on my web site does not trap heat. It directs it out around the bike, and out the back. Most of the insulation panels are applied in such a way as to prevent the heat from entering the airbox/throttle body area and being trapped there. What heat does get in there is allowed to escape out the back of the tank and under the seat. The stock fairing design actually does trap the heat coming off the radiator. My solution is to deflect as much as possible out and down. I've had the pleasure of receiving a thank-you email from at least 50 successful owners. No one has ever performed the procedure and told me they were disappointed.

Lining under the seat up to the gas tank is actually part of my procedure, just not the whole thing.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I've had the pleasure of receiving a thank-you email from at least 50 successful owners. No one has ever performed the procedure and told me they were disappointed.
I measured heat both with a radiant heat sensor, and my Fluke 179 , and both told me that the fairing , frame member and tank were hotter WITH this mod than without. SO...now you have the first disappointed person. Yes, I did follow the instructions, and diagrams.

Thanks, though, for taking the time to make the nice instructional site, and I am glad it worked for so many folks.

thekaz

haz gone feral
I measured heat both with a radiant heat sensor, and my Fluke 179 , and both told me that the fairing , frame member and tank were hotter WITH this mod than without. SO...now you have the first disappointed person. Yes, I did follow the instructions, and diagrams.

Thanks, though, for taking the time to make the nice instructional site, and I am glad it worked for so many folks.
I think I may have been disappointed first but never said anything and thought my poor results were because I only use my ST for IBA rides :eek::

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Skip...
We met up at Vinny's...I have a set I built on mine, if you want to see them or take a short ride to test out. Mine are pretty close copies of the Baker units. I tried the Don Ferrario insulation job, but it seemed to make it WORSE. The Air Wings do make it more tolerable.
Yes sir, I remember that. It was at Vinny's tech day.

I would like to see that setup. Not sure where or when though. I hope to be back to Vinny's sometime soon for tire changes. I could let you know when I set that up with Vinny.

Skip

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I have also had about a dozen folks ask me to remove this modification from their bikes after finding it was either not helping, or hotter. I also used a temp gun before and after and got the same results as stated above.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Yes sir, I remember that. It was at Vinny's tech day.

I would like to see that setup. Not sure where or when though. I hope to be back to Vinny's sometime soon for tire changes. I could let you know when I set that up with Vinny.

Skip
Just let me know...I am up the road in Canton, if you are ever going through, let me know, and if I'm not working, I'll meet you at my house, or somewhere close. PM me for a phone number if you like. Going up to Vinny's WOULD be a good excuse for a ride though....

Ride safe, Skip!

Bike
2006 ST1300
The TB sync made a huge diff on my ST. It was almost unbearable in the summer and my wife would even complain about the heat coming from the left side cooking her leg. I had never synced the TBs but when I hooked up a manometer it showed my #3 cylinder was running way lean. It was like 5cm+ out of sync. Once everything was synced the intense heat went away. A month later I installed baker wings and with the 2 changes I have zero heat issues. My theory is that somehow some bikes come out of production with really out of sync throttle bodies. This would explain some bike not having a heat issue and some having it.

Good luck.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
That is exactly what I have found to be true! :plus1:
A TB sync (done correctly) oil change to diesel oil (whatever brand you like) 15w-40 weight, shield in low position for air flow, and wings if you absolutely need them.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have the mirror deflectors only. They smooth out the upper airflow turbulence noticeably. I elected not to install the lower fairing deflectors,, because frankly,, I don't need them for heat,, they are costly,, and would just interfere with my mcl highway pegs (not that I use those a lot). However,, I do think they would deflect engine heat out away from the riders legs,, if installed,,, I just don't know to what degree. Some owners are quite happy with them.

I will suggest the the upper deflectors,, working along with my raked Clearview shield,,, reduces negative back pressure considerably. My Oem seat is lowered right down and is forward against the tank,,, closing that gap up. So those factors combine to reduce the amount of hot air which can be channelled up into the rider/passenger zone. Also,, there is more cold air dilution created by the raked windscreen and the removed inner cowls. It all adds up,,, maybe I have decent TB sync as well,,, I don't know. that is just a few more things to consider,,, Cat'

Top Bottom