The dreaded heat..

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I have never found a need for them...think they look silly :rofl1:.... Honda's don't put off any heat compared to HD, BMW airheads, or Moto Guzzi's.
Like my grandmother used to say, "If the heats too hot in the kitchen, stay out of it".
These are motorcycles not convertible cars.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have never found a need for them...think they look silly :rofl1:.... Honda's don't put off any heat compared to HD, BMW airheads, or Moto Guzzi's.
Like my grandmother used to say, "If the heats too hot in the kitchen, stay out of it".
These are motorcycles not convertible cars.
I rode BMW Airheads for 25 years, and NEVER noticed them putting out half the heat that my ST puts out. Even on the hottest summer day, both of my Airheads were cool running, and never even warmed up my feet. The only time it was noticeable was in the winters ( such as we have in Georgia) , when it was pleasant to get a little heat from them.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
Hey folks, just like to add my experience with the heat issue. My 04 has been running great with no heat to speak of until I changed the plugs. Now I can hardly stand the commute to and from work! It's almost not worth riding. I live in SoCal, where the big fire was recently and it's been hot here, 100-109, but it's been hot before and never had a problem with the 1100 I had. And unlike some of the other posts that I've read, the heat is only on the one side. Because I'm at work right now, I don't have the plug # but when I get up in the morning, I'll check it out. It is an NGK but not the stock one. Does this sound plausible at all? Supposed to be cooler tonight, 80 or so but I'm still not looking forward to the ride home.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Who performed the throttle body sync for you and how much?
I bought the motion pro manometer and did it myself. Getting to the throttle bodies was the hardest part. The actual syncing only took a few minutes. Probably a 2-3 hour job including fussing with the tupperware.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I rode BMW Airheads for 25 years, and NEVER noticed them putting out half the heat that my ST puts out. Even on the hottest summer day, both of my Airheads were cool running, and never even warmed up my feet. The only time it was noticeable was in the winters ( such as we have in Georgia) , when it was pleasant to get a little heat from them.
After owning more than two dozen bmw's over the years, I can say that my R100RS models always had so much heat due to the fairing design, that I would ride to work on graveyard shift wearing a t shirt. Like our ST 's, the RS was a great bike except for the heat due to the fairing design. All my other BMW models were better without body fairings.
.02RS

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Hey folks, just like to add my experience with the heat issue. My 04 has been running great with no heat to speak of until I changed the plugs. Now I can hardly stand the commute to and from work! It's almost not worth riding. I live in SoCal, where the big fire was recently and it's been hot here, 100-109, but it's been hot before and never had a problem with the 1100 I had. And unlike some of the other posts that I've read, the heat is only on the one side. Because I'm at work right now, I don't have the plug # but when I get up in the morning, I'll check it out. It is an NGK but not the stock one. Does this sound plausible at all? Supposed to be cooler tonight, 80 or so but I'm still not looking forward to the ride home.
I'd really be interested in what plug you switched to to get that much difference. I use the Iridium NGK's and recently switched to the cooler one recomended for the ST, not because of any heat issue but thats what was available at the counter. ST runs great with the new one, but the hotter one ran good as well.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Doesn't a colder spark plug run cooler by transferring more combustion heat to the head,, and thus then on to the cooling system. So a cooler plug does run cooler,,, but less heat goes out the pipe,, and more has to exit via the rad. My memory is a little fuzzy on this,, so I stand to be corrected. Cat'

I'd really be interested in what plug you switched to to get that much difference. I use the Iridium NGK's and recently switched to the cooler one recomended for the ST, not because of any heat issue but thats what was available at the counter. ST runs great with the new one, but the hotter one ran good as well.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Cool!! (sorry,,, could not help myself !!),, I assume this is a dual configuration ?? Just thinking that when used with a set of MCL highway pegs,,,, it could be inserted into each pant leg,,, no, wait,,, it might direct unwanted insects as well as a cool breeze !!! Cat'

My "Redneck Nut Cooler" performed as needed last week as I rode through 105 degrees of South Dakota Hell... IMG_3102.jpg

Bike
2006 ST1300
After owning more than two dozen bmw's over the years, I can say that my R100RS models always had so much heat due to the fairing design, that I would ride to work on graveyard shift wearing a t shirt. Like our ST 's, the RS was a great bike except for the heat due to the fairing design. All my other BMW models were better without body fairings.
.02RS
I had completely forgotten about the RS and RT models of BMW's. Both of mine were naked bikes, a '78 "S" model, and a '71 /5. BOth were comfortable to ride all year round ...never a heat problem . Looking at pictures of the RS and RT, I can see how the heat would be trapped.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Well I installed my Baker Wings today. I am very happy with them. I just returned from a ride. It is 95 out now. I sure could tell a difference. Much better air to my mid section.
I was in a hurry after I got them put on to meet a buddy for lunch. I have not taken any pictures yet.
Very simple to install. The hardest part was trying to figure out the proper location for the template.
$150.00 well spent in my opinion! They look good and work good!

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Well I installed my Baker Wings today. I am very happy with them. I just returned from a ride. It is 95 out now. I sure could tell a difference. Much better air to my mid section.
I was in a hurry after I got them put on to meet a buddy for lunch. I have not taken any pictures yet.
Very simple to install. The hardest part was trying to figure out the proper location for the template.
$150.00 well spent in my opinion! They look good and work good!
Looking forward to seeing your pics. Take some good ones!

Skip

OP
OP
Steve398

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I've spoken with a firm that weaves for DuPont, who make Nomex fabrics, and have some off-cuts being sent to me... The guy I spoke with understands the problem and has given me hope that this may work!

Top Bottom