Rear Shock Preload hose damaged

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Hi all...

My rear shock pre-load adjuster hose is cracked and leaking badly and needs to be replaced. I have checked the usual parts sites and it does not appear to be available. The parts fiche photos do not have a number listed on the hose though it shows up in the image.

Does anyone know if this is available separate or is it part of the shock?

Thanks
Bob

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Mother Honda only sells it as part of the entire rear shock assembly!
Your best bet is to try and source one from a salvage yard, or another forum member who has replaced his rear shock with an aftermarket one.
I will look around and see if I can locate one for you as well.
Good luck.
Igofar

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
We have one of these shop locally here in Denver. They are a national chain.

www.pirtekusa.com/

I have used them many times for motorcycle brake lines, both standard and braided stainless steel. Maybe there is a shop near you that can build a new hose for the shock.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Oooo bummer. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bummer indeed, I had no idea either that this part was not separate. Here are two cycle salvage yards, should you decide to go this route, but I would investigate hydraulic hose places. There is one place that makes up the hoses for excavators and similar things along a freeway here - you must have the same where you are - or should be able to find one on the internet. Seems to me that I saw a link to a place that makes custom brake lines in some thread here. Did not save it though. If you have a performance motorcycle shop nearby, you might go there and ask for a referral. A local shop that has the only bike spin type wheel balance machine that I know of makes a lot of top fuel drag racers - so they would have to know of places that can come up with custom brake hoses and parts.

Greentown Motorcycle Salvage, 330 499-9768 2365 State Street, Uniontown, Ohio 44685 - might answer phone Auto Salvage or something similar.

Pinwall Cycle Parts, 330 879-9910 635 3rd Street NW, Massilon, Ohio 44647 - advertises parts on ebay

Bike
09 ST1300A
For what its worth. I have abandoned using the knob-hydraulic preload for two reasons.
1) After replacing the washers & refilling the fluid due to a leak, then eventually it leaked down again.
Searches here on STOwners showed me that many others find this system leaks fluid eventualy.
(I would prefer a positive mechanical adjustment or a better hydraulic system)

2) I never bottom out riding solo @ 170 lbs. And with my wife on board (weight not disclosed :D ) I don't think we have bottomed out on the worst bumps more than 3-4 times in 55k miles.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I would also take it to a shop which custom manufacturers hydraulic hoses / brake hoses and inquire if they can make you one.
+1...
Also (or especially) shops who sell/MFG after-market suspension for motorcycles should stock or be able to make a braided line in required length & quality and the appropriate banjo-fittings attached.

BTW: what's the story behind the damage? Anything that could helps others to avoid such?

OP
OP
bwoodsom
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
+1...
Also (or especially) shops who sell/MFG after-market suspension for motorcycles should stock or be able to make a braided line in required length & quality and the appropriate banjo-fittings attached.

BTW: what's the story behind the damage? Anything that could helps others to avoid such?
I had my rear shock rebuilt last year by Racetech, when I reinstalled it I must have routed the line incorrectly so it was close to the tire. This hasn't been a problem in the last 20k miles until I recently installed a darkside tire which was close enough to the mis-routed hose to rub on it. Rubbed a hole through it.

moral of the story, don't mis route your hose and install a darkside tire.

Bob

OP
OP
bwoodsom
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
For what its worth. I have abandoned using the knob-hydraulic preload for two reasons.
1) After replacing the washers & refilling the fluid due to a leak, then eventually it leaked down again.
Searches here on STOwners showed me that many others find this system leaks fluid eventualy.
(I would prefer a positive mechanical adjustment or a better hydraulic system)

2) I never bottom out riding solo @ 170 lbs. And with my wife on board (weight not disclosed :D ) I don't think we have bottomed out on the worst bumps more than 3-4 times in 55k miles.
I really dislike how it handles two up with the shock on full soft. We were out both days this weekend with the shock this way and it just handles badly. It doesn't bottom out but it handles like a 79 Cadilac Eldorado.

Top Bottom