New Rider Takes a Trip

Bike
2003 Silver ST 1300
STOC #
I bought a 2003 ST1300 in May 2016. My very first motorcycle. Very low miles 15,000.
I went on a 1000 mile trip to AZ. from San Diego. Much harder than I thought after only about 500 miles riding experience!
I tried to stay off the interstates, but took a wrong turn and decided to try I-10 east for 30 miles to my hotel in Blythe. The winds kicked up and everbody wanted to go 85MPH.
I got knocked around pretty good,so I rode in the slow lane and went 65MPH. The 18 wheelers were passing me and pushing me around. Then 2 SUV's passed me doing 90 and their
wake pushed off my line and I was heading to the shoulder. My body panicked but luckily my brain stayed calm enough. Without thinking I stuck out my left arm (and leg I think) and it pulled me
back into the lane. My manual windshield was all the way up and I had a big tail bag on my new rack.This was part of the problem,I think. I got off the next exit , found some shade and tried to calm down. I psyched myself
up and got back on the I-10. I could not find any side roads. I road for a few more miles and the wind and turbulence from vehicles was freaking me out. I rode the last 20 miles to Blythe CA
ON THE SHOULDER going 45MPH with my right blinker on! I was never so happy to get to hotel in my life! The rest of the trip to PHX, I stayed off the Interstates. When I got back home to San Diego, I went on this site to see if
other riders had wind issues etc. I made two brackets for my windshield. It's a variation of others I saw here. Now I have 6 height settings and 3 different angles with each height. I'll post some pics later in a different
category. thanks for listening!

:wind1:

Todd

Last edited:
Bike
No bike
STOC #
Glad to hear that you made it safely to your destination! I also find the wind to be moderately terrifying but found some advice on this site that has made it more manageable, and it sounds like you found the same advice. What works best for me was the lowest setting on the windshield, knee out, and relax... turns out it was more my bodies reaction to the wind causing the problems than the wind itself... The more I have ridden the ST the easier it has become to deal with the wind.... be safe and ride on!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I don't really find wind to be scary, except perhaps in some situations - like going across a bridge or something. But it's dang irritating having to constantly correct for gusts. It makes for a tiring day.

I think having a top box on the back changes things. To me the side wind pressure on the box seems to help the bike turn into the wind, actually helping the stability somewhat. YMMV.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
It sounds to me like you need a bit more experience before doing such a long ride. Trust the bike. It's very stable and if you don't fight the handlebars the bike handles most wind and gusts well. Remember that a tight grip actually works against you. The bike wants to stay upright. It's the nature of centrifugal force.

You'll be fine... Don't allow yourself to panic too much. Try to remember there are thousands upon thousands of people that have ridden and been fine in similar situations. I rode 900+ miles last Saturday. Wind can be disconcerting, but it's seldom as treacherous as it seems.

Best of luck. You're riding a great bike. Trust it will get you there and you will do fine!

Troy/Chance

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Lots more short trips until you build up some more experience. Trial by fire is not the way to start. Try not to let your gear turn into a sail. Pack lighter and lower. Watch traffic approaching in the adjacent lane. Move to the other side of your lane until it passes. Stay on the road not the shoulder.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I KNOW how you feel! Wife and I did 3 trips out west, renting a Gold Wing in Las Vegas. The first one was a trip through Death Valley to the coast, and the winds in Death Valley were truly scary! When we finally got to the PCH, we rode down , kinda scared the whole darn way...the wind would push us around, then suddenly shift as we got to bridges over rivers coming down to the sea. It was beautiful, but very scary.

Good advice above....don't get a death grip on the bars, and let the bike handle some of the wind. I was heeled over for hours into the wind, then a truck would come along and block the wind, and I'd have to compensate....I got used to it after a while.

Bike
2005 ST1300
A lot of great advice above. I would rather ride in medium rain than fight the wind.

If I expect wind I have started to make a point of departing in the wee hours of the morning. Less traffic and usually less wind.

I recently add 200 miles to a 2100 mile trip to avoid excessive wind. But I have gotten more comfortable riding in medium wind by using some of the methods listed in previous posts.

On long trips I also remove my Givi top box and use a waterproof bag instead. Helps and gives me a backrest as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Get a good map and chart a trip using back roads. The more remote the better. Wind is seldom a problem there. You won't be harassed into going faster than you want to. In fact you ll enjoy relaxing dong 45 and taking in the scenery!

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Todd, I too bought a 2003 with manual windscreen. Made several brackets with modest success. The bike was transformed when I converted the manual screen to an electric adjustable.
Not difficult, you can do it. Saw a post her earlier someone selling all you need for $500, don't know if it still is for sale.
Just a thought..
Stu

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
I did a bus and ride to get my bike. Lots of experience riding, just not on that big of bike. Rode moST of the day in a lot of wind. Remember it being a long 9 hours that day. I've learned since then to relax and riding in the wind is a breeze, ha ha.

OP
OP
todddra
Bike
2003 Silver ST 1300
STOC #
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'm sure for an experienced rider, the wind would have been no issue. I know I'll get used to the wind with more riding under my belt. Packing my bike lower and adjusting the wind screen will help.
Here are some pics of the brackets I made for my manual screen. I'm still testing out the settings, but it has made a big difference. I am not considering an electric screen at this point.

Todd

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
Hi Todd, I have been riding almost all my life and here in the UK we get strong side winds through hedges and buildings as well as the lorries, the best way I can describe being able to handle side winds is to allow the bike to flote from side to side of upright without you going with it, sit and hold loose, what you must not do is hang on as stiff as a board.
Keith

TPadden

Tom Padden
.......what you must not do is hang on as stiff as a board.
Keith
What always works for me: I put my cell phone back in my pocket, close my eyes, and go to my safe place.

Sorry, I can't remember back 50 years when I started riding, pretty sure though it isn't the windshield: ride more :eek::.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
Cell phone, no dont want one of those switched on, it means people can get hold of me :) Oh and yes I can remember 53 years back to my first bike.
Keith

Top Bottom