New VFR 1200x anybody ride one?

Bike
Vstrom 650
Rode one a few years ago,seemed a great bike, ergos were perfect,plenty of power and great brakes,I think there is a recall going on at the minute for the shaft drive, on all vfr1200's and vfr1200x's

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I demo'd one a couple weeks ago. In my opinion Honda needs to work on the throttle response, its extremely twitchy. Other than that it was a good bike, but its just not for me.

OP
OP
mitch96
STOC #
"Honda needs to work on the throttle response, its extremely twitchy."

Darn, I have the same problem on my ST.. Put on a G2 and other things to get rid of the throttle problems.. Oh well.. I'll prolly test ride it at the Expo in Orlando in the fall.. First time I saw Honda demo bikes in a long time..
m

STOC #
If I ever buy anything with a beak on it like that, it better fly and chop wood.
Look at the headlight area from the side. Can you say Woody Woodpecker?
Ha ha haha~ha.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
It has wire wheels, boxes and is black. That is a deal killer for me. Not sure what it would take to get me past that.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Only things that stands out in my memory is that it was very "lumpy" at low revs, that combined with the very high gearing meant (to me) that at town / city speeds (50 to 60km/h or 30 to 35mph) I had to ride in 3rd or 4th gear - I didn't like that.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Tried both the standard and DCT version, and really sorry to say neither I or my long suffering passenger liked it. The engine was great but the general ergonomics were not, the seats were uncomfortable and I hated the luggage (nasty cheap plastic and they rattled).... but everyone to his/her own. Heat issue apart, I have yet to find any bike that's as comfortable as the ST13.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Rode around 1,800 miles on a 'regular' VFR1200 in Ireland and the U.K and liked the bike. I presume the 'x' would be similar. It is definitely not a two-up machine in the original configuration, but much more refined than a ST1300 (12,000+ miles on them). Did a short stint on a DCT model which was pretty interesting also. I did not find the throttle to be anywhere as notchy as the ST1300 nor did I have any heat issues. BTW, your old 97 ST1100 has passed 80,000 miles now ... ;-)

http://www.unclephil.us/Ireland2010Home.htm

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Only things that stands out in my memory is that it was very "lumpy" at low revs, that combined with the very high gearing meant (to me) that at town / city speeds (50 to 60km/h or 30 to 35mph) I had to ride in 3rd or 4th gear - I didn't like that.
Was this a manual or DCT? I can't imagine any Honda V4 being lumpy. The VFR1200R certainly wasn't when I rode it but maybe the DCT version in 6th at 40 mph contributes to your experience.

The VFR1200X and ST1300 share almost identical torque and horsepower curves BTW.

OP
OP
mitch96
STOC #
I did not find the throttle to be anywhere as notchy as the ST1300 nor did I have any heat issues.

Hey Phil.. That's good to know..

BTW, your old 97 ST1100 has passed 80,000 miles now ...
GOOD!!! that bike was like a freight train on the highway... My 05 "only" has 62k..
m

OP
OP
mitch96
STOC #
The VFR1200X and ST1300 share almost identical torque and horsepower curves BTW.
That's what I thought was interesting.. The 2016 1200x is like a ST1300 "lite"... Lost the 100 lbs everybody was complaining about. Ditched the power windscreen for manual... Honda made the gas tank a little bigger.
AND IT'S A HONDA! I had a suzuki wee strom for a while and while a nice bike did nothing for me...
m

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
while i don't have a Honda anymore i really enjoy my KTM Super adventure i put 5K miles on it in june , lots of power and the electrical amenities are great. the OEM seat was horrible after 150 miles.(seat now at RDL) i did have issues with my panniers (not latching or staying closed, i worked a deal with my dealer they bought back my OEM panniers and i purchased a set of givi treker outbacks plus rack system for 150.00 difference my cost to upgrade to givi premium full aluminum outback top loader panniers) SO WHEN I AM DONE FARKLING I SHOULD HAVE A GREAT BIKE :)
FYI if you have any big givi( NOT JUST GIVI) purchases TO MAKE IN THE FUTURE take a look at motosorm.it their prices are hard to beat my entire givi pannier set bags and rack and kick stand shoe was 780 including shipping about a $400.00 dollar saving over any site in the USA

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Was this a manual or DCT? I can't imagine any Honda V4 being lumpy. The VFR1200R certainly wasn't when I rode it but maybe the DCT version in 6th at 40 mph contributes to your experience.

I rode the (6 speed I think) manual version. This was when I was looking at options to replace my old CB1300, I rode the VFR1200 and the VFR1200X. I had around three months earlier ridden an ST1300 and preferred it as a replacement for the CB. But as new ST13's were getting hard to find here in OZ, dealers tried to tempt me with a VFR, but my poor experience on the VFR's strengthened my resolve to get an ST13. My perseverance paid, I got what I believe to be then the last new one in OZ.

And the rest is history ........

Re. the CB1300, that (IMO) had a Mighty engine - the in-line 4 was smoother, more powerful down low than the ST's V4, but used much more fuel - 6.0 to 6.5 litres per 100km was good. The more power may have only be a perception because of the different lower gearing - at 3,800 rpm the CB was doing 100km/h in 5th gear (it need a 6th gear), perhaps this, and the full fairing, is also the cause of the higher fuel consumption, despite the extra 80kg.

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA
I'm kinda interested in the VFR1200X so I rode my ST over to Honda of Cool Springs in Cool Springs, TN (suburb of Nashville) this morning. They're a Powerhouse Dealer. The only Powerhouse Dealer in TN, I believe. I figured if anyone would have the VFR in stock, they certainly might. So I approached a salesman and our conversation went something like....

Me: Hey buddy, is the new Crosstourer out yet?
Salesman: What's that? (with a blank stare on his face)
Me: The new Crosstourer, it just came out this year. Do you have one in stock?
Salesman: I don't think so. (he's looking around the showroom now to see if he see's one)
Salesman: What is it again?
Me: The new Crosstourer, it's also called the VFR1200x.
Salesman: You know, I think another customer asked about that bike a couple of weeks ago. (still looking around the showroom)
Salesman: We probably don't keep any in stock because we don't sell very many of them. We probably don't even have a used one in stock.
Me: Well, you probably wouldn't have a used one because the bike just came out in 2016.
Salesman: You know, some models that Honda makes are only available overseas.
Me: I know, the Crosstourer has been available in Europe for 3 or 4 years now and Honda just brought it to the U.S. as the VFR1200X.

About this time, another salesman walked by and Salesman1 asks Salesman2 "Hey do we have a Crosstourer in stock?"

Salesman2: What's that? (with a blank stare on his face)
Salesman1: It's supposedly a new bike that Honda just came out with.
Salesman1: What is it again?
Me: The VFR1200x
Salesman2: I don't think so. (now he's looking around the showroom to see if he see's one)
Salesman1: I would be glad to take your name and number and give you a call if we get one in stock.
Me: Sure.....
Salesman1: What are you riding now?
Me: I ride an ST.
Salesman1: Oh ok, is that a 750?
Me: No, it's a 1300.
Salesman1: Oh ok, I think we just sold a used one a couple of weeks ago but it was the smaller one.
Me: Awesome, well you have a nice day.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I think I would have taken a look around the showroom myself. Those guys don't know anything. Honda is not using the crosstour name in the US, only the VFR1200X name, so I understand that part of their confusion. It'd be like walking in and asking to see a Pan European.

-Jeff

Bike
ST-1300
I had my ST in the other day to one of the dealers in Denver for some maintenance. While there, my wife was looking at the new bikes and suggesting it might be time for me to get a new bike. Both of us saw the VFR1200X and I looked it up and down several times. I'm fairly tempted to test ride, but so far, I just managed to swing a leg over and look at stuff.

Sitting on it, I noticed it sat considerably higher than the ST. Since I'm tallish, (6' 1"), I liked the ride height. My leg wasn't lock straight, but extended nevertheless. The fairing and windscreen felt small and far away. I was curious how well it would deflect wind at 65 mph..I like riding into the cold days of colorado, so not getting pummled by cold-high wind is something to consider. Looking at the console, the display looked really small and gray. Wasn't sure if the contrast would be easy to see (but to be fair, I didn't light it up). It looked like there was one tiny glove box (aka burrito warmer).

Looking around the bike, the signal indicators were on independent mounts and for some reason looked to me like they were begging to be pulled off or snagged on something (not sure that's a real problem, but was a thought that flickered through my brain). The seat felt narrow, so for touring, it seems like it might not be great, but as a commuter, I saw no major reservation.

Then I looked at pricing. I got online and spec'd it out with similar farkles that I have on my ST. It's 18,000 USD....but looks like it's slightly less of a bike than the ST...but provides you with the option of decreasing the cost with less options (panniers and such). Since I had not looked at an ST in awhile, I decided to "build" one on the same site, and it was also 18,000 USD. Doesn't seem like a 1:1 cost compare to me. (preferring the ST over the VFRx, but maybe I'm biased)?

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
In speaking to a Honda Canada "regional sales manager" today, I was assured that the VFR1200X is indeed the "new" ST. Of course it appears to lean more toward adventure touring than sport touring, that's the way the market is going. The earthquake earlier in Japan is resulting in a shortage of this model, as well as the Africa Twin. There's always next year...

Last edited:
Top Bottom