Heritage Softail Classic

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Background: I had given up on the ST a while back primarily because of the top heavy feel of the very portly bike. 730 pound was just way too heavy for a sport touring bike. The fact that Honda had not updated the bike since it was made back in the stone ages and it still doesn't look like they're going to any time soon. So I first switched to a BMW K1200GT. This bike had everything, a lot more power, was actually light / flick-able with a low center of gravity, had factory cruise, factory heated grips & seat, a gear shift indicator, everything the ST had but looked sharp and sounded awesome too. I had everything I wanted but it still just didn't seem right to me (something was missing and I didn't know what).

Warning: If you have become accustomed to sitting in a near still pocket of air behind a massive plastic deflector screen, you might be really shocked by wind actually hitting your body, head, legs, etc. This is not an Ultra. It's not an ST. You will feel the elements. If that bothers you, this is not the bike for you.

Begin review: For those of you that might actually be interested in a bike like this I will try to give an objective evaluation or my opinion of the bike. I bought this bike one month ago trading in my K1200GT. The bike costs about 18 grand with the key fob security system and two tone paint. I added highway bars and pegs, HD heated grips (but they're not standard), a touring pillon seat, a sport rack and a taller windscreen. HD makes tons of windscreens so you can get whatever height suits your height. The windscreen is easy to take off, actually makes the bike look better IMHO and I usually prefer no windscreen (unless it's a really cold cold day).
I've had the bike one month at this point and I've ridden it about 2500 smiles. My first bike was a Honda Shadow so I feel kind of like I've gone back to that feeling of when I first started riding but this bike is so much better in every way. It was absolutely the right decision for me.
Harley had recently made abs and cruise control standard on the Heritage. Those were essential for me. If it didn't have them I wouldn't have bought the bike. They also boosted the engine power with 'hot cams' and put a fly by wire throttle on it that makes for very smooth throttle action (the best I've ever experienced). The cruise control is even better than the BMWs (so easy to set and holds speed perfectly). Even though the Harley is old school in it's looks, it has been nicely modernized to include a gear indicator and a useful trip computer that calculates your remaining range fairly accurately (I haven't tested it to the extreme and probably/hopefully won't).
It's not a sport bike but it's not slow either. The power comes on instantly, very low in the rpms but everything about the bike says 'take it easy man, this is a ride not a race'. The suspension is not really adjustable but it actually works well in the curves. The low center of gravity together with the huge torque allow you to power out of the curves with an awesome feeling of coolness. Harley's years of tweaking the Heritage have paid off in a feeling that a spec sheet will simply not be able to describe. Again this is not an ST, there may be some vague similarities (the bikes weigh about the same, lol) but saying it's a change of pace would be a great understatement. So far I honestly have no complaints to mention and I am so happy I made the switch. I will continue this thread as I continue to ride and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
I love the nostalgic old school looks but I don't think I could handle the maintenance and old technology of a genuine classic motorcycle.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Everyone has their likes and dislikes. What matters is that you find a bike that fits your needs. Glad you were able to do that. Congrats and hope you enjoy it for many years!

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
I owned a 2003 Road King and now have a 2008. The cruise works perfectly and I believe Harley has the best self-cancelling turn signals. Enjoy your ride.

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Everyone has their likes and dislikes. What matters is that you find a bike that fits your needs. Glad you were able to do that. Congrats and hope you enjoy it for many years!
Well said and thank you. So far it's been great ...

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
I owned a 2003 Road King and now have a 2008. The cruise works perfectly and I believe Harley has the best self-cancelling turn signals. Enjoy your ride.
After coming off the crazy BMW turn signals, a left button and right button plus a button to cancel. I never got used to them even after two summers of riding. The Harley turn signals that cancel themselves are great. It's impressive how intelligent they made them. The only thing I mess up is that in an effort to cancel them myself, I sometimes reactivate them. I have to remember I don't need to cancel them, lol.:eek::

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
What would be a metric equivalent of that bike?
It's 103 cubic inches equates to about 1689 cubic centimeters or roughly 1.7 liters. Plenty big enough for me but turning down more cubes is almost as hard as turning down more beer or so it goes.

If you meant a metric bike make model that would be a close equivalent, I can't think of anything like that could really be equipped the same, part of the reason I went with HD. Honda Interstate and Yamaha/Star 1300 series Touring are cruisers with bags and a windscreen.
One of the things I really don't get right now is when a make like Honda has a fly-by-wire throttle and they don't offer cruise control. Take the Honda Africa Twin for instance. It couldn't be that hard or expensive to add at the factory and I think it would be such a great selling point... at least for me. And IMHO ABS should just be standard on everything by now.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
I test rode a few Harleys about 5 weeks ago, Streetglide, Road King and softail. The Road King I immediately eliminated as the fly by wire throttle was almost digital in its operation, either on or off. The vibration at idle was irritating even though it disappeared immediately upon accelerating. The Streetglide was great,comfy and smooth, no dislikes.
Likewise the softail was a great ride, smooth changes, good acceleration and it handled well. The only drawback was when riding two up I was always aware of my wife pushing in to me, not a lot of room on the pillion. That ruled it out for me sadly but what a nice riding bike. I test rode the same color combo as you bought, the best looking in my opinion, loved the retro look it has.

I also had a similar problem with BMW's turn signals. It was really confusing to use, turn left, cancel button on the right (if you can find it). It sounds petty but it was the main thing that turned me off about it. Good thing though, I bought my ST a couple of weeks later!

Congrats on the new ride, use it well.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
davidrider said:
I love the nostalgic old school looks but I don't think I could handle the maintenance and old technology of a genuine classic motorcycle.
Old classic H-Ds needed frequent maintenance and repair. For some people that held a certain Zen attraction. Others not so much. But H-D motors have come a long long way starting with the Evo motor (I think). Some were still slow out of the box.

The Alameda Co Sheriff's Office has been using them for almost 10 years. They were an 85mph bike until a Stage II kit was installed. Then they were 103mph and still pretty reliable. The new CHP bikes (over the last couple of years) are supposed to be plenty fast and not so sensitive to heat in traffic. (Water cooled top-end?)

[video=youtube;YQXmWUm4T_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQXmWUm4T_8[/video]
No enforcement motor has the command presence of an H-D.

For me nothing beats the sound of a big twin. I'd like to hear a 103cu 90? twin with slightly modified exhaust. Well maybe an electric belt drive bike would be a toss up.

There are still H-D haters but they can be ignored.

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
I test rode a few Harleys about 5 weeks ago,...
... the softail was a great ride, smooth changes, good acceleration and it handled well. The only drawback was when riding two up I was always aware of my wife pushing in to me, not a lot of room on the pillion. That ruled it out for me sadly but what a nice riding bike. I test rode the same color combo as you bought, the best looking in my opinion, loved the retro look it has...
...Congrats on the new ride, use it well.
Thanks to all for the congrats. Truth is the original pillion itself actually pushes on you in an uncomfortable way. I immediately switched to the touring pillion and it has made all the difference. Plenty more room for the passenger too now. I pretty much forgot about the annoyance of the original pillion (only had it on during the test ride). The touring pillion is better integrated into the flow of the bike, supports your back instead of jabbing it and looks better too I think (note the way the studs flow with the design; in my picture). I think the original pillion may have been designed with the intention of making one buy the touring pillion. The only other realistic option would be to just remove it. A very good point I forgot about but fairly easily fixed (about 150 bucks).

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
... nothing beats the sound of a big twin.
There are still H-D haters but they can be ignored.
+1 There is something about the sound and the pulse like feeling of the big twin.
...what haters? jk :D

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Ergonomics: I guess I've been riding the bike long enough to discuss the ergos. Firstly, I like pretty long rides (not iron butt length but pretty long). I've done long days in the sport touring semi-fetal position. In comparison the leg room on the Heritage keeps my 32 inch inseam from feeling cramped. I've seldom used the highway pegs because they're not really necessary.
Over many years I had developed a kink in my neck from the slight forward crouch that the sport touring bikes kept me in. I had to lean forward on my wrists and just far enough forward that my neck's back muscles tightened trying to keep my head up. These tight muscles must have compressed something that would as time went on seem to pinch a nerve. I pretty much just accepted it. After riding the Heritage for a month, I'm not even sure when it went away but the pinch is gone (completely gone). My neck muscles are much looser. The bolt upright riding position has actually helped my posture (I apparently don't slouch as much, heh). The ergos seem so much better to me that after a day long ride I often feel better rather than fatigued. I wasn't sure if the ergos would be a plus for me. I had rented a Heritage before but not for a really long time, just a day or two and then I was back on my bike. The effects of the relaxed ergos turned out to be a very pleasant surprise for me.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I find this post most intriguing due to the fact 4 years ago I traded almost that exact same bike (FLSTNI) even swap at a dealership for my 2007 ST1300 (9000 on OD at the time)
The Harley softail frame would murder my back after @ 100 miles. I have over 60,000 miles on my ST1300 and I wouldn't get another softail frame Harley for anything.
Happy for you as you seem to be in Hawg Heaven but please tell me this----what is the longest distance trip on it so far and how is your back holding up ?

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Was it the upright seating position or the suspension of the bike that was the problem? I have to admit that with the newest Helibars and Russell with a back rest I am sitting very upright, but I find it very comfortable.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Was it the upright seating position or the suspension of the bike that was the problem? I have to admit that with the newest Helibars and Russell with a back rest I am sitting very upright, but I find it very comfortable.
I have owned and rebuilt 7 swingarm frame Harleys in my life, I could ride @ 500 miles before too much pain set in. The softail frame has you sitting in a low position with feet too far out putting extreme stress on lower back. I tried elevating myself with numerous pads and seat devices, nothing worked. Many others complained about this frame and its awkward riding position. I wanted to do serious cross country riding so trading for the ST1300 was a smart move. For short rides the FLSTNI was fun but the brakes, performance, comfort and gas mileage was no comparison.

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
I find this post most intriguing due to the fact 4 years ago I traded almost that exact same bike (FLSTNI) even swap at a dealership for my 2007 ST1300 (9000 on OD at the time)
The Harley softail frame would murder my back after @ 100 miles. I have over 60,000 miles on my ST1300 and I wouldn't get another softail frame Harley for anything.
Happy for you as you seem to be in Hawg Heaven but please tell me this----what is the longest distance trip on it so far and how is your back holding up ?
Longest I've gone so far would be somewhere between 300-400 miles. Admittedly, I won't usually go more than 400 miles unless I've miss calculated but it's not due to any discomfort... rather it just isn't as exciting/interesting as when I started the day so I quit for a while. I guess the term long-ride is relative... everyone's back/backside is a little different too and I can only speak to my own.

Forgot: I actually did do a 500 mile day with cchassey on the site when we road out and about to the Blue Mesa area. I don't recall it being uncomfortable. I'm definitely not an iron butt rider though; 300-400 miles a day is what I find enjoyable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
I have owned and rebuilt 7 swingarm frame Harleys in my life, I could ride @ 500 miles before too much pain set in. The softail frame has you sitting in a low position with feet too far out putting extreme stress on lower back. I tried elevating myself with numerous pads and seat devices, nothing worked. Many others complained about this frame and its awkward riding position. I wanted to do serious cross country riding so trading for the ST1300 was a smart move. For short rides the FLSTNI was fun but the brakes, performance, comfort and gas mileage was no comparison.
I sit bolt upright in a miss manners book on the head posture when riding the Softail. I have noticed that some riders hunch their backs no mater what. On the Harley in particular I can see how this would stress the lower back. I also do lots of core training which strengthens back muscles. My trouble was always the neck and upper back from the forward lean on the handle bars of my sporty bikes. The only bike that gave me butt burn was the Honda Shadow I owned and that was an unbalanced engine in a rigid frame. Since the engine was small 600cc it took a while for the vibes to get through but they always eventually did. As it was my first bike, I thought that was normal at the time. Still hurts thinking about it.

& OBTW: I hunched until I got this bike. How did I find out? I wanted a taller windscreen for touring purposes and was being fitted in the showroom for it as I was waiting for the bikes paperwork to be done up. The guy puts one on and says based on what you told me this is the one you want. I looked at it and said, "I told you, I like to look over the screen, NOT through it." So he says, "try sitting up straight." To which I reply, "I am bleeping sitting up straight, just bring me a shorter screen." He shakes his head, comes round behind me and says "relax for a minute." He puts his palm on my spine, pulls my shoulders back, lifts my chin just slightly and that was that. I had grown two inches. I was looking well over the screen and it was the right height. "It's ok I guess" I said. He said, "you should ride like this, you'll feel better." And so I have since then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom