Heritage Softail Classic

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Ok, so my first gripe after the bad stock pillion... technically my second gripe then. So a rear turn signal bulb goes out and I've had the bike a month. Ok, I'll get a bulb, maybe two, they're cheap and super easy to change. I go into the dealer and they say "oh you need a bulb already? Have you considered our LED lights?" They show me a display of the LED lights next to the originals. The LEDs look so much nicer and brighter... should last forever, etc. 150 bucks later I have LED turn signals. Why'd they put these crummy old bulb things on such a nice bike when they have these awesome LED things? Then it hits me, oh, this is like the pillion, by design to make me buy the nice thing later. Ok, Harley's not the only company that does this but sheesh ... annoying (gripe number 2).

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
I did a 300 mile ride with the wife this weekend. That plus commuting puts me at ~3000 on the odo now. I hadn't even asked her about it when she volunteered half way through the ride and said "this is the most comfortable bike you've had". I asked her at the end of the ride if she still felt that way and she confirmed it. This is pretty good praise to because she's ridden on most of my bikes (including the ST with stock and corbin seats). She apparently really liked the padded backrest (came with the bike stock) and also said the touring seat was very supportive. I'm positive that she would NOT have liked the stock pillion but again, that was an easy fix. 150 bucks which is not bad as motorcycle seats go.
Everything else seemed in order too. The engines power is still good two up (don't really notice a difference) and the suspension worked well too, no bottoming out (I have it set pretty hard and just leave it that way). The smooth fly-by-wire throttle did well to keep us from playing helmet billiards. The best thing of all was the wife asked when we could ride again, which always used to be my line.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
davidride said:
The engines power is still good two up (don't really notice a difference)
That would be very surprising and disappointing if you had. That's one of the strengths of a big twin.

davidrider said:
keep us from playing helmet billiards
:rofl1: I hate that game.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Re: the bulbs, seat, controls, exhaust, intake, maps, etc., etc.
This is what is fondly called the "Harley Tax."
There are mountains of Harley and aftermarket accessories out there just waiting for you.

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Now at just over 5500 miles at 2 months of ownership. I recently rode the bike to the Sturgis rally (see pic below). Anyone see your bike in there?

I rode some 500 mi plus days, went through rain/wind/lightning but luckily no sharknados. I did probably feel the elements more than most of my other bikes but I'll stand by the assessment that this is my most comfortable bike. The upright stance and ability to move around in meaningful ways plus the highway pegs that I finally made use of helped to make long stretches more comfortable. The best thing is at the start of each new day I was fresh and ready to go with no crick in the neck, back issues, or sore rear-end. The luggage capacity or lack there of taught me to pack light. I'm familiar enough with trip packing that this was not a big problem but I'll probably do better next time. Truth is I always used to bring too much junk with me anyway.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Congratulations on finding a bike that really makes you feel good! You added a touring pillion seat but did you do your Sturgis run on the factory seat? Was it an option?

On freeways (highways) I assume your cruising RPM was lower than the ST at around the same speed?

+1 on taking too much gear on a trip. All I needed on two 10-day trips fit in my saddle bags and a backpack (which held a water bladder and frequently accessed gear).

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
... You added a touring pillion seat but did you do your Sturgis run on the factory seat? Was it an option?

On freeways (highways) I assume your cruising RPM was lower than the ST at around the same speed?..
My seat was the factory seat. The touring pillion allows me to shift my position and lean back which helps to occasionally do that to take weight off certain areas but the bottom line is I use the stock seat. Harley does make other seats that would work, like the fatboy seat combo. I really like the way the stock seat looks though, with the little red star things on it... I'm glad I don't need to change it. Changing the pillion improved the looks IMHO.

My cruising speed may also be lower than on the ST. I forget exactly where the tac was at on the ST so I'll just list the HD's rpms. At 70 mph in 5th you're at 3000 rpm. You don't really want to be in 6th until 70 anyway but that puts you at about 2500 rpm. At 80 mph you're about 3000 rpm. The low rpms and the balanced engine keep the buzz and butt burn away. It's actually kind of soothing and the sound at that speed reminds me of a WWII prop driven bomber... it's kewl, if you know what I mean.

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
My seat was the factory seat. The touring pillion allows me to shift my position and lean back which helps to occasionally do that to take weight off certain areas but the bottom line is I use the stock seat. Harley does make other seats that would work, like the fatboy seat combo. I really like the way the stock seat looks though, with the little red star things on it... I'm glad I don't need to change it. Changing the pillion improved the looks IMHO.

My cruising speed may also be lower than on the ST. I forget exactly where the tac was at on the ST so I'll just list the HD's rpms. At 70 mph in 5th you're at 3000 rpm. You don't really want to be in 6th until 70 anyway but that puts you at about 2500 rpm. At 80 mph you're about 3000 rpm. The low rpms and the balanced engine keep the buzz and butt burn away. It's actually kind of soothing and the sound at that speed reminds me of a WWII prop driven bomber... it's kewl, if you know what I mean.
+1 on the "It's actually kind of soothing and the sound at that speed reminds me of a WWII prop driven bomber... it's kewl, if you know what I mean."

I liked my ST for the 10 years that I owned it. I even did a Saddle Soar 1000 on it, but I went back to Harley and I'm very happy that I did.

Dale :D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
davidrider said:
It's actually kind of soothing and the sound at that speed reminds me of a WWII prop driven bomber... it's kewl, if you know what I mean.
I do. Every so often I used to hear a P-51D flying around. There were a couple of other old vintage planes with radial engines and it was way cool to hear them overhead.

My Duc was a 750 90? twin with Conti mufflers. It was geared a little tall and I had to really be on it to get to 4000rpm which is about 70 on my ST. IIRC the Duc was around 3000 at 70mph. I've always maintained that the higher RPM of my Hondas was responsible for me going faster (and wanting another gear).

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
It is with much sadness I announce the old king is dead...
Long live the king!!!

And though I did feel bad about having to let go of the beauty which was my old bike, this new 2017 Road King with that new engine is just so awesome.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
this new 2017 Road King with that new engine is just so awesome.
Nice! Because it's a twin some would relegate it to Cruiser status. I have no idea but that H-D sure looks tour-worthy to me. But I'm a little biased as I really like floor boards and don't care to drag a knee.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Love that color! I agree about the M8 engine, plus the new suspension is a great improvement as well. I am a frame mounted fairing guy, here is my 2017 RGS.

2017 RGS MJ 2.jpg

Bike
2005 ST1300
Congrats on the new ride, you're a hard man to keep up with! I have to agree on the new Harley 107cc engine. I test rode a 2017 Roadglide a few months ago. Overall I wasn't impressed with the bike, too much wind getting to the rider but I was super impressed with the engine, the power and acceleration. Rolling on the throttle was smooth and the power kicked in beautifully. A nice job on that design by the HD guys.

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Love that color! I agree about the M8 engine, plus the new suspension is a great improvement as well. I am a frame mounted fairing guy, here is my 2017 RGS.

2017 RGS MJ 2.jpg

Congrats on yours too. I like the wind though so I'll even take the screen off whenever I can.

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
I was super impressed with the engine, the power and acceleration. Rolling on the throttle was smooth and the power kicked in beautifully.
High praise from a Honda rider. The smoothness, very linear torque curve and build to peak HP is quite like a Honda with just enough HD thrown in to keep it legit LOL.

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Thank you all for the compliments and congrats. I've truly never been happier with a bike. :)

Top Bottom