TPMS and valve stems?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Hello,

I'm looking to install a TPMS on my ST and was wondering if there is any consensus on a certain on a certain model that most people think is the best system? It looks like many systems have been tried over the past 8 years or so and am looking for a good one and some steel or aluminum stems for external sensors if needed. thanks for the info.

Pat

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I went for the Hawkshead TPMS in a group buy and like it. It's the only one I've ever had on a bike. I have the sensors on my 90? angled valve stems.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I too have recently gone with the Hawkshead setup. A recent group buy made it really worthwhile. I went with the Moto Cruiser 2 setup with T-valves so you don't have to remove the sensors to add air. So far I've got no complaints. It does what it's supposed to do.

Skip

Byron

STOC #
I run a couple different setups. On the ST I have a SmarTire setup that is no longer available according to some sources but I still find them on sale from time to time. The sensor is held to the center of the rim with a huge band clamp which lets you do whatever you want with the valve stems. The display runs off the bikes power and provides the standard feature. No issues with it for several years. On my KLR I run TireGard because of the tubes which means no sensors in the wheel. Sensor mounts to the valve stem and has a locking collar keep it in place. I like the key chain display because I can put it in a pocket or tank bag. I usually just use it to check the pressure before I start my ride or when stopped somewhere. I wouldn't use this type of setup with rubber valve stems as the extra weight and higher speeds could cause the stem to fail. I also wouldn't use it with angled stems either as it would probably stick out too far. I haven't really tried them to see but just a possibility. Not on the bikes but my truck, I have an Orange Electronic retrofit kit. It is the conventional setup with the sensor mounted to the valve stem inside the wheel. I opted for a cigarette lighter power plug on the display for simplicity. My only complaint with this unit is the display is not very bright and hard to read in direct sun or when very bright outside. This too is an older unit and I've read the newer displays are brighter. Other than that it's been flawless. Orange Electronics also builds a MC unit with sensor mounted to straight stem like cars. I just wish they had an option for angled stems.

It pretty much boils down to the configuration you want to run, try and go with one with longest battery life for the sensors, and how much money you are willing to part with.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I just switched from TireSafeGuard to Hawks head both work well and use external sensors, the display on the Hawkshead is much smaller than the TireSafeGuard and the Hawkshead sensors are much smaller. But both units do the same thing and work well.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Another vote for HawksHeaad. I've used two of their systems for about 3 years now on metal angled valve stems. Work really well.

OP
OP
Pat S.
Bike
2004 ST1300A
For those that have the Hawkshead system I'd like to ask a few more questions: Do you have mounting suggestions for the ST1300, no round handle bars and not much dash space on one of these? How long does the charge last on the control head? Battery life on the sensors? Where is the best place to buy for a reasonable price?

thanks again, Pat

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Charge for the head lasts so long you are surprised when you have to charge it. If you turn it off when you are done, more like months (if you ride every day). Battery life on the sensors - don't know yet but I haven't had one to die yet. Some folks Velcro the head to a blank spot in the speedo/tach area. The head is small enough to put about any where. I Velcro mine to the handlebar cover on my ST1100s.

Top Bottom