Waterproof Trunk Bag

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I have the Kuryakyn Ultra Tour bag. It's a great bag, but a little heavy and not waterproof. It does come with a rain cover, but when you're riding in and out of the rain, it's a little inconvenient to take the cover on and off to get to my rain gear which I store in the bag.

I'd love to get a slightly smaller (and hopefully, less affected by cross-winds), waterproof bag that attaches in a similar way as the Ultra Tour bag which is with a large velcro strap around the passenger backrest. It literally takes me less than 30 seconds to put it on or take it off and that's with 4 additional security straps.

Of course, I could get a trunk (like the Givi), but they're not compatible with a passenger backrest unless it's extended further back than I would like. Yes, I know the top boxes come with built-in passenger backrests, but I've got the bike set up just how my GF likes it and I'd like to easily add or remove a trunk bag depending on the length of the ride and weather.

Anyone know of such a bag?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use the "Rider's Friend" It is not submersable but nothing has ever gotten wet in it during a rain ride. Normally I use it to keep my helmet when I stop because it is easy to open and close compared to the side bags. They have different sizes and a website.

Attachments

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have the Kuryakyn Ultra Tour bag. It's a great bag, but a little heavy and not waterproof. It does come with a rain cover, but when you're riding in and out of the rain, it's a little inconvenient to take the cover on and off to get to my rain gear which I store in the bag.

I'd love to get a slightly smaller (and hopefully, less affected by cross-winds), waterproof bag that attaches in a similar way as the Ultra Tour bag which is with a large velcro strap around the passenger backrest. It literally takes me less than 30 seconds to put it on or take it off and that's with 4 additional security straps.

Of course, I could get a trunk (like the Givi), but they're not compatible with a passenger backrest unless it's extended further back than I would like. Yes, I know the top boxes come with built-in passenger backrests, but I've got the bike set up just how my GF likes it and I'd like to easily add or remove a trunk bag depending on the length of the ride and weather.

Anyone know of such a bag?
This is what I use, size L. The XL version that I also own is way too large. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00644OLLU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Waterproof, has a semi-rigid bottom, tough and plenty of tie down points. And relatively cheap.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Wolfman Expedition Bag. Use it on my rear seat but it would go on the rear rack. Very tough, and very waterproof.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Lots of good options here: http://www.aerostich.com/bags/seat-bags-and-tail-bags/dry-bags

I have 140K with the Ortlieb large duffle. 15 years and a trip to the Arctic Circle. Wide-opening roll top makes it easy to load, and to retrieve stuff. Been in a bunch of frog-stranglers. Perfect. Might even function as a personal river-crossing floatation device, ha! Bought a smaller version a couple of years ago for when I don't need the big one. HigheST recommendation.

John

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
The above bags are great. I have an Akona, usually used for my clothes + sleeping bag. Just about any roll top duffel type dry bag works fine. Top loading (Walmart has decent inexpensive ones) only for bulkier camping gear... tent, sleeping bag and such.
A couple Rokstraps and you're good to go.

OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Wow! Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I didn't realize there were so many options.

Right now, I'm partial to the Biker's Friend sissy bar bag. I really like the way it looks and that it holds it shape. And it looks like they've given a lot of thought to creating a universal mounting system.

They only mention the "core" weight on their website. At 4 pounds for the medium-large, it seems quite reasonable. Any idea what the total weight might be?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have a dryspec d38 that has a rigid insert to keep it's shape. It's a dry bag so it is waterproof and similar construction to most dry bags on the market.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/dryspec-d38-rigid-waterproof-motorcycle-dry-bag-multiple-colors-available
d38-thumb-nail_web.jpg

They also sell the D28 that can be easily added to the top, I actually use the handles of the D38 for that assuming they are still made the same way. The D28 opens at both ends so you can adjust the size of the bag based on what you have in it.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/dryspec-d28-dual-end-waterproof-motorcycle-dry-bag-black-grey-orange
d28options_web_1.jpg

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/dryspec-d66-waterproof-motorcycle-dry-bag-modular-packing-system-in-black-grey-orange
d66-thumb-nail_web.jpg

Wow! Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I didn't realize there were so many options.

Right now, I'm partial to the Biker's Friend sissy bar bag. I really like the way it looks and that it holds it shape. And it looks like they've given a lot of thought to creating a universal mounting system.

They only mention the "core" weight on their website. At 4 pounds for the medium-large, it seems quite reasonable. Any idea what the total weight might be?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have several options for packing, currently using the large "weather resistent" bag I got from Walmart a few years ago. BUT...

No matter which bag I'm using, I put all the stuff into a Trash Compactor Bag from Krogers. These bags are three or four times as thick as a regular trash bag, and TUff! I've used the same one for my camping gear for about 4 years. No holes. And cheap, pick up a box at probably any grocery store. Make sure they are Trash Compactor bags, not regular trash bags.

Just a thought. :D

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
+1 on Compactor bags! I have always used one to keep my sleeping bag dry dating back to when I was young and reckless climbing vertical rock. Everything else can get wet except my sleeping bag!

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
No matter which bag I'm using, I put all the stuff into a Trash Compactor Bag from Krogers. Just a thought. :D
Sure helps when you are caught under heavy rain and suddenly realize you need to open your "dry bag" for this piece of gear you absolutely need to have right now.....

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Tip: carry garbage bags of various sizes to put your wet tent fly, tent, ground cloth, clothing, bike cover, whatever... in so all the other dry stuff stays that way inside your waterproof bag. A lesson learned the hard way, and a tip that's served me well ever since. YMMV Yada

John

Bike
2005 ST1300
I buy bright colors for safety reasons.

20 Litre Leader Dry bag. Amazon
$22

Overboard roll top waterproof. Big & roomy. 60 litre, available on Amazon $73

Makes for a good backrest too. Quick to tie down using 2 Rok straps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
+1 on this,,, better aero with the longitudinal mounting. I paid $20 for a Woods brand dry bag,,, in safety yellow. If you are carrying more than this bag can hold,, you have too much stuff. This leaves the paniers for heavier bike related stuff,, and/or liner bags. The soft backrest is nice. I keep my seat beads folded under the bag,, and then just unfold them out for use, when I need a change to a cooler seat. Cat'

I buy bright colors for safety reasons.

20 Litre Leader Dry bag. Amazon
$22

Overboard roll top waterproof. Big & roomy. 60 litre, available on Amazon $73

Makes for a good backrest too. Quick to tie down using 2 Rok straps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I totally agree with keeping dry stuff dry and wet stuff in a separate bag. That's why I have a larger dry bag for everything I want to keep dry, what goes inside the tent mostly. My sleeping bag doesn't pack down so small so needs a lot of space (it's my dad's and 20 years old but is in great condition still). I then put my tent and tarp and poles and stakes in a separate smaller dry bag so if it's raining when I set up or raining when I tear down they don't get anything else wet. I keep my saddlebags for tools and cooking gear and other heavier stuff. My larger bag is a DryPak 110 liter for $56 (I know it's big but I actually use it with my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, clothes, and even my camp chair since there is room). There is also a DryPak 70 liter for $40 that is big enough for most. I have a Sea to Summit 35 liter dry bag for my tent/tarp and stuff. And a 25 liter Wally World dry bag for extra liners and rain gear where I can quickly get to those. This is all tied down with Rok straps and a bungee net. If I was not on a trip and just running close to home I'd just use my tail bag instead, which is water resistant until I sprayed it with camp dry and now is mostly water proof based on a few storms I've been through with it.

Bike
Tiger 800
I agree with John O on both the choice of bags and the tips he offers for dealing with wet tents etc. I have used what he recommends for at least 5 years now and have always been happy with the preformance and convenience. If there is a shortcoming it is that sometimes I don't bring enough stuff to fill it.

Top Bottom