Radiator Fan Q&A

Bike
Silver ST1100
STOC #
I know the "thread" is in here SOMEWHERE... but I need to know how all of you have installed/wired a MANUAL ON switch for your radiator?
Please direct me or show me the way...

Mahalo~ KidTako

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Not sure how much specific implementation detail you need, but the basic premise is you need to put in a switch that when closed will ground the single wire that attaches to the temp switch in the radiator. That will turn on the fan. Preferably put the switch in parallel with the temp switch, that way if you don't turn the switch on the temp switch will still work normally.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I think some folks have fitted a lower temp fan switch to make the fan come on earlier. I fitted a manual switch to my old '83 Interceptor because the fans did not operate until the temperature gauge was 3/4 scale. The fan would switch on an off between 2/3 and 3/4 scale in heavy traffic on a warm day. It stayed just out of the red but close enough to make me nervous. If I flipped on the switch before entering the traffic the temps would stay about 1/2 scale.

My ST1100 never went above half before the fan kicked in to take it back to about 1/3 scale so I never worried about it. The ST1300 doesn't have much resolution with its digital bar graph display, always runs at 3 bars no matter what the condition. I'm not even sure if there really is a 4th bar!

Top Bottom