Adding 4 way flashers

Bike
2003 ST1300
I know this subject has been discussed before, but I cannot find that anyone has asked about using the quartet harness to wire a 4 way flasher. I have a 2003 ST1300 that does not have the electric windshield option and, thus, no 4-way flashers. I want to install them and was looking at the connector assignment for the various plugs on the quartet harness. From what I have seen on this site, the 9 pin connector on the harness has power and separate pins for right (light blue wire) and left (orange wire) turn signals. So if I grab power from 9 pin connector, run it through an on/off switch, then through a standard 12 v flasher and then pig tail to the right and left turn signal wires on the 9 pin connector, will that produce a viable 4way flasher system that can be activated by flipping the switch?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello:

This doesn't really answer the question you asked, but it does relate to your question.

Many years ago, I went to a lot of trouble to wire up my ST 1100 so that it had 4 way flashers. After having done this, I never had a need to use them during the following 10 years / 100,000 miles of riding.

I now have a ST 1300 that has 4 way flashers. I have never intentionally used them, but occasionally I have inadvertently activated the handlebar switch and turned them on.

My suggestion to you, based on my experience: Buy a reflective vest and stuff it in one of the hot pockets up front, or in a pannier, and forget about wiring up 4 way flashers.

Michael

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
You will need to use a double pole single throw switch. You need to keep the left and right separate.
Tie both poles to the blinker power and the other sides one to each left and right circuit. see diagram attached.

View attachment 175757

look for my thread on using the rear flashback turn signal leds as extra brake lights...

"Rear turn Signal - Red/Amber switchback Led mod - ST1300"

re attached

HyperflashSW4.jpg

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
View attachment 175757

look for my thread on using the rear flashback turn signal leds as extra brake lights...

"Rear turn Signal - Red/Amber switchback Led mod - ST1300"
Diagram attached is invalid. If it did exist, wouldn't a pair of diodes attatched to a SPST switch work? One could substitute that combo in place of a DPST. Even with a DPST you still need a diode in there.

I may not be able to understand, how is wiring flashback brake into turn signals help the OP on his quest? It seems an extra expense not needed for many ST owners.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Yes you could use diodes, but to keep it simple, a double pole switch would work since that is what is used on the ST1300 that has hazard lights with out a need for a diode.

Yes you do not need the flashback led to accomplish what he needs but that thread explains the origin of my diagram.
The diagram will help him to trace out what he needs to accomplish his goal..

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I have a 2003 ST1300 that does not have the electric windshield option and, thus, no 4-way flashers.
I had no idea the non-ABS '03s were different that way. Can someone else who has one confirm it?

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have to agree with Micheal ( CYYJ) above....the 4-ways are neat, but I've not used them in the 5 years I've owned the bike.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
To keep it really simple, all you need is a switch and a wire that connects the left side to the right side (on a ST1100 the signal wires are in the mirror assemblies and IIRC the same for the ST1300). When you want '4-ways', turn on your 'regular' turn signal and flip the switch on to complete the connection. Not slick, but it works. Otherwise, diodes (cheap at Radio shack) , a switch and a flasher. If you want them to work with the key off, you'll need to run a 'fused' wire directly from the battery to power the circuit.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I had no idea the non-ABS '03s were different that way. Can someone else who has one confirm it?

--Mark
Piling on: the 2003 Owner's Manual (http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/pub/ST13/OwnersManual/owners-manual-2003.pdf) - which covers both non-ABS and ABS versions - does not show a flasher switch on either the right (pages 31-32) or left (pages 33-34) handlebar control diagrams, for either model variant.

Kevin_56 said it and Mother Honda's own documentation appears to confirm it. No flashers on that model year, in North America at least.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
No 4-Ways on the non ABS '03
Piling on: the 2003 Owner's Manual (http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/pub/ST13/OwnersManual/owners-manual-2003.pdf) - which covers both non-ABS and ABS versions - does not show a flasher switch on either the right (pages 31-32) or left (pages 33-34) handlebar control diagrams, for either model variant.
I always thought hazard lights were federally required. Guess after 12 years of owning one, there's still something to learn.

--Mark

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have only used my 4-ways twice: when splitting lanes. Not something I wanted to do as that's not what they're for. As far as a parking hazard goes I've never needed them but I like having them but I'd rather have them than not. Having LEDs is almost mandatory though. I don't see the battery lasting long with flashing 4 incandescent bulbs.

If I had to add 4-ways I'd probably put in a switch to let me choose just the front or just the rear or turn signals to prolong battery life and all four when/if necessary. Just because I could. But since Honda did it for me and I have LEDs the standard configuration is fine.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Its true Mark I converted my non ABS 03to an electric windshield using the kit from Cal Sport Touring it comes with the new switch housing and everything you need.

st1300doug

Dang...I bought a spanking new '03....and NEVER looked. Bahaa....yeah...shows how much I would have used them.

Top Bottom