Jump Starter

Bike
2005 BMW RT
At Moonshine Thepaleobiker showed me a Jump Starter. It was small, would fit in your hand and he said it could start 4 cars. I went to Amazon and found many. I purchased the Energen. There are many choices for you comparison shoppers. On a recent trip the dreaded key left on gremlin struck. The bike would slowly crank but not fire. Hooked up the jump starter and the bike immediately fired up. The unit takes up very little space, has an LED flashlight and can charge all of our portable devices. Has anyone needed a jump and there was no one around? This is your answer.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
These things are great!

A week ago, I saw a guy at my work, pushing his bike because he left his key on. I pulled out my "Cobra" brand jumper and started his bike for him, no problem!

Great little tool to take on any road trip! :D

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Here is mine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AKQPBE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not used it yet because I had another lesser one and ruined it by leaving it on the Jeep I jumped too long, while it was running. Learn from my mistakes, as soon as the dead vehicle fires up, disconnect the jump box! My new one is supposed to have protection against this, but I am not taking any chances. They do work, very well. Mine is supposed to be able to jump start a small diesel truck.

Here is a neat little accessory to go with these jump boxes. Lets you plug in 12v accessories that use a cigar lighter plug.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019IHUE0Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

STOC #
At Moonshine Thepaleobiker showed me a Jump Starter. It was small, would fit in your hand and he said it could start 4 cars. I went to Amazon and found many. I purchased the Energen. There are many choices for you comparison shoppers. On a recent trip the dreaded key left on gremlin struck. The bike would slowly crank but not fire. Hooked up the jump starter and the bike immediately fired up. The unit takes up very little space, has an LED flashlight and can charge all of our portable devices. Has anyone needed a jump and there was no one around? This is your answer.
is this the one? https://www.amazon.com/Energen-Starter-Portable-Battery-Charger/dp/B01B3ISBEY
it says only 6 inches long.. others are much longer..

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
My brother owns an automotive shop and got a couple from a dealer. He used it on a diesel truck and about four cars in the parking lot that needed jumps on a single charge. He sent me the other one to play with.

I haven't needed it for a bike jump myself but have used it on a couple cars and a few other bikes. It goes everywhere with me.

Bike
2005 ST1300
These battery packs are the best deal since peanut butter. Can't ever be sure who made any one of them, but unless they catch fire they're the bargain of the century and the prices inch down hourly.

Bike
2010 ST1300
These battery packs are the best deal since peanut butter. Can't ever be sure who made any one of them, but unless they catch fire they're the bargain of the century and the prices inch down hourly.
I hadn't thought of that, but i assume that if one of these were to burst into flame, it would be reported on this website (and others) more or less immediately. And if it does catch fire, it becomes not so much of a bargain, since it will probably take the barn down....

Bike
2005 ST1300
I THINK most of the fire risk occurs during charging or quick discharging - as opposed to when they're just sitting around between uses. That could be worse...

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Avoid the antigravity brand. Lots of reports of swelled and split cases and not just when charging. Seems often someone goes to use one from storage only to find the case has split open.

-Jeff

Bike
2005 ST1300
Unknown sourcing - That's a big part of the problem. Whatever brand name is plastered on the battery may not tell ya anything about where it came from or who manufactured it. The sourcing is always unknown, so too is the quality control at design and manufacturing, so it's always a crap shoot.

Except for the fire issue, they're an incredible value, but that's a very big exception. My approach is to manage the circumstances of charging and discharging, and hope for the best during storage. We're still on the bleeding edge of these, I think.

Top Bottom