Passenger Riding Issues

My wife and I just returned from a 800 Km trip. This is her first "long" distance ride. I have a 1 piece Corbin seat which she complains that she slides forward every time I brake or stop. The seat does not have anything in the neighborhood of a "seat horn" to keep her tucked in nice and cozy. I am a rather vertically challenged rider with a 30" inseam. I am sure that I am not the first guy with this issue. I started looking for a custom seat with little luck. Any thoughts / ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I have a two piece Russell. My wife doesn't slide forward like she did on the stock seat; in fact, it's hard to tell she's there. The Russell is a bit higher than the stock seat, so you may want them to build it a bit lower to accommodate your inseam. (My inseam is 32 inches, and I can flat foot the bike with the seat in the highest/middle positions on the seat bracket. The seat has settled in a bit in 100,000+ miles, though.)

Wife and I had the same issue with stock seat. Changed our seats out with Sargent (2 piece) that has a better seat surface to grip and better form. Not a custom seat but it improved the slide issue for us. YMMV. I also just added fork springs to reduce the front drop on hard stops. As noted before, a custom seat may solve your leg reach and sliding.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Get a cheap silicone pot holder and have her place it on her portion of the saddle. She'll be glued in.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I just spoke to my wife about this, we just came back from an 800 plus mile weekend and the only time that she slide forward is when she said she was not paying attention. This was a quick slow down not a stop. I have factory seats on my 2008.

So with this said she said she really does not have a slide forward issue. As an added note she also rides her own bike most of the time, so paying attention to what is happening is now in her nature.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I had the same problem, I purchased a cover for my passenger seat from Triboseat. Problem solved. No more sliding forward. My wife is happy!! That is all that matters.

http://www.ekmpowershop6.com/ekmps/shops/advancedseatin/triboseat-honda-pan-european-st1300-2002-2014-tbs-28-241-p.asp
+! on the cover. My wife likes it too. Even more helpful is the fact she is now an active passenger and is watching what's happening so she anticipates deceleration.

Especially when she uses the intercom to tell me to slow down....:mcrider:

OP
OP
st-1300sj
Thanks for all who replied. I took Jerry M's advice and ordered a triboseat. It was ordered for the standard seat which fit perfectly on my Corbin seat. She's stuck hard and fast now and quite happy to ride with me. (not sure if that's a plus or not ). FYI the triboseat came in a few weeks after I placed the order. Quite happy with the company.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Jerry M;[URL="tel:1955511" said:
1955511[/URL]]I had the same problem, I purchased a cover for my passenger seat from Triboseat. Problem solved. No more sliding forward. My wife is happy!! That is all that matters.

http://www.ekmpowershop6.com/ekmps/shops/advancedseatin/triboseat-honda-pan-european-st1300-2002-2014-tbs-28-241-p.asp
+1 on the Triboseat pad. I live in Ontario too and arrived safe & sound front U.K. in about 10-15 days. It fits fine, looks OK - and helps my pillion stay planted.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
T_C;[URL="tel:1976519" said:
1976519[/URL]]Umm... is the Tribo seat pad a creative re-use of non-slip shelf liner? Like this?

Yup - it looks a lot like that but it is trimmed to fit the ST pillion seat and it has little scrappy things sewn on to make it easier to secure it to the bike. You could, I think easily make something suitable out of that HF tool drawer liner. The only potential issue is that the Tribo seat material may stand up better in the rain....

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Umm... is the Tribo seat pad a creative re-use of non-slip shelf liner? Like this?
The one that came on my 2003 when I got it is made out of leather. But it does bear a strong resemblance to the one in your link visually.

Top Bottom