Jumping a Lithium Ion battery

Bike
2010 ST1300
Has anyone had to jump a bike with a Lithium ion battery? Do these batteries behave just like a lead acid battery when their charge is low? In other words, do you wait a minute or two after connecting the jumper cables, and then crank away and she fires right up? How about if the Lithium battery is very discharged - because you left the key in the ignition in accessory mode over night.....?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
If your lithium does not have a protection circuit built in to prevent it going below about 4 volts, your lithium may or may not be revivable. You might get it boosted and started, partially charged........ if it won't charge, then it is pooched unfortunately.
But yes, boost as you would normally (if doing this from a car, do not have car running).

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If the battery is under 7 volts, I would not try jumping. When LiFe cells get really low they do not like being fast vharged. Hook up a trickle charger and let it slely come up to a partial charge, then you can jump it to finish with a long ride.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
If your lithium does not have a protection circuit built in to prevent it going below about 4 volts, your lithium may or may not be revivable. You might get it boosted and started, partially charged........ if it won't charge, then it is pooched unfortunately.
But yes, boost as you would normally (if doing this from a car, do not have car running).
Why do you suggest not having the car running? Because then the car is outputting close to 14v (well, 13+)?

And, how does one tell if the LIFe battery you are about to buy has circuitry to prevent it from dipping below 4 volts? I have not seen that in the specs for the few batteries I've looked at.

If the battery is under 7 volts, I would not try jumping. When LiFe cells get really low they do not like being fast vharged. Hook up a trickle charger and let it slely come up to a partial charge, then you can jump it to finish with a long ride.
OK, so you walk out of your motel (or tent) and find your bike's LiFe battery is dead. Your charger is back at home. What happens if you try to jump start the bike?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
This is out of the manual for my Shorai battery.

Gerhard

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
OK, so you walk out of your motel (or tent) and find your bike's LiFe battery is dead. Your charger is back at home. What happens if you try to jump start the bike?
The omly batteries I have seen that are motorcycle capable loads and have low voltage protection are the EarthX Anti-gravity brand and the one built by myself. There my be others, but I haven't seen thrm myself, yet.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Why do you suggest not having the car running? Because then the car is outputting close to 14v (well, 13+)?

And, how does one tell if the LIFe battery you are about to buy has circuitry to prevent it from dipping below 4 volts? I have not seen that in the specs for the few batteries I've looked at.
It's not so much the voltage as it is the charging rate. Most m/c batteries say do not charge at a rate over 1.5-2 amps. A car's alternator is too much.
You only know if a lithium battery has that circuitry if the manufacturer says so. AFAIK, I have not heard of a LIFe that has that feature, thus don't run them dead, they may not recover.

Top Bottom