Removing front tire with ABS/TCS

crosari2

Toruk Makto
Bike
2000 ST1100
Have front fender removed to install extenda fenda (close grammar). Time for new tires. Do I need to follow steps on Owner's Manual or can I just take speedometer cable, loosen pinch bolts, take axle out, and drop wheel carefully without damaging abs/tcs wheel sensor (2000 st1100 with abs/tcs)?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sort of like you said. You will need to remove the two front fender 'side' bolts to easily get to the ABS Sensor positioner and the ABS Sensor holder. I usually put a small jack of some sort under the oil pan (with a board on top of it) and raise up the front end until the rear tire is touching down solid (be careful and don't jack too far - watch the center stand). My order (IIRC from my desk) -

1. Loosen side fender bolts.
2. Remove ABS Sensor positioner bolt.
3. Remove ABS mounting bolt.
4. Remove anti-dive bolt.
5. Slide right caliper off disc.
6. Loosen axle bolt/nut and remove.
7. Loosen pinch bolts.
8. Get a small Phillips screwdriver to insert in hole on left end of axle to wiggle it out.
9. Sort of 'catch' the wheel when you remove the axle and roll it out.

OP
OP

crosari2

Toruk Makto
Bike
2000 ST1100
Sort of like you said.

2. Remove ABS Sensor positioner bolt.
3. Remove ABS mounting bolt.
4. Remove anti-dive bolt.
Thanks Uncle Phil. Steps 2-4 are what I was trying to avoid, but is just a few more bolts to undo. Not being sure of how delicate the sensor is, besides making sure gap is within tolerances, I didn't want to play around and damage it.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks Uncle Phil. Steps 2-4 are what I was trying to avoid, but is just a few more bolts to undo. Not being sure of how delicate the sensor is, besides making sure gap is within tolerances, I didn't want to play around and damage it.
Don't mix up the anti-dive bolt with the bolt a few inches directly above it... you will crack the bracket where the anti-dive bolt goes through. DAMHIKT!

I believe it's items 21 & 22 on here. Although, I think that bracket diagram is a mirror image of the actual layout... the bolts come in from the right side (outside).

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The positioning bolt keeps the sensor in the right 'tolerances'. Just be sure it goes through the centering 'hole' on the sensor when you reinstall. BTW, they're pretty rugged. For reinstall, you'll need to push the pistons back in on both calipers. I put the right caliper back on once I have the wheel back in place. It's a little 'dance' to do but you'll get the hang of it. ;-)

OP
OP

crosari2

Toruk Makto
Bike
2000 ST1100
Thanks for all the advice, specially on the sensor and anti-dive. I changed brake pads on my previous bike but none had linked or abs so I'm a rookie on the subject.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Not being sure of how delicate the sensor is, besides making sure gap is within tolerances, I didn't want to play around and damage it.
I'm with UP in this...
Many w/shop mechs bang up the sensors when handling the heavy wheels... prior removal is a good precaution...

OP
OP

crosari2

Toruk Makto
Bike
2000 ST1100
Following on this thread; I noticed some corrosion on the wheel sensor ring. Advisable to take off and cleaned, paint or powder coating?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Nothing that some Autosol, an old toothbrush and some elbow-grease can't fix... ;-)

Top Bottom