I don't have a secret but i think I want one...

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
OK friends, convince me one way or the other. As many of you know I have a 1996 ST1100 non-ABS and have put about 60,000 on it since I've owned it in the past 12 years. I've had this bug to upgrade a little for a while now and it won't go away. I've located a 2004 ST1300 with ABS and 18,000 miles on it for the right price. It's at a HD dealer stuffed in the back warehouse and feeling like a forgotten toy. I think I need to rescue it. The only thing I have eyes for is the Blue hence the 2004. I rode it and it runs great, handles great but needs some TLC in the looks department. I have heard several members tell me that had an 1100 for years and rode a 1300 on various trips and were glad to get back home to their 1100.

Tell me your stories if you have ridden both for an extended time and let me know your thoughts.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
You know the 1100 Ashley. Kinda enough said, no convincing required. The word upgrade never computes for me. I do like that blue though!

Coming to OnSTOC I see?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Ashley I just bought Adam's 2004 in Seattle and rode it home.

The differences are there...
The center of gravity is higher 'cuz the 'tank' is really full of gas.
The shorter wheelbase makes the bike a little more 'nibble' at the same time it makes it more 'reactive' when you're passing the 18 wheelers.
The throttle... lots to be said; but, there is a definite 'on-off' where the st1100 has a much smoother feel due to FI vs. carbs.
The brakes on the ST1100s are nice; but, ST1300's are really nice.
Electric wind screen: nice; but, I tend to set it and forget it as I heard others strip the worm gear. I think due to many adjustments as speed.
Seats, the same, either they fit you or you'll swap them out. Oddly both stock seats 'fit' me. This bike has Sargents front and back and they feel a little odd.
Handle bars are the same; some like them lifted and others don't. I ride them both ways and find you just have a 'different' feel when you raise the bars as you've changed the ergos on your forward lean.
Responsiveness: the ST1300 *will* get up and go a bit faster than the 1100s, really... :)
Be careful the 1300 will go up on one wheel if you're not careful. BTDT and not on purpose. I rode it down fine; but, it did surprise me in the rain!

Oh, I have been riding ST1100s (there are 3 in the garage right now) since 2001 so I do have a bit of experience on them... :)

Why did I upgrade?
It wasn't an 'upgrade' it was 'I was ready'; both models are great bikes.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a lot more miles on the ST1100s than I do the ST1300s. The only thing I liked on the ST1300 was the power windshield. I do not like the key - too long and easy to break, I do not like the heat, I do not like the notchy throttle, I do not like the shape of the saddlebags or the fact that you have to have the key in them to be open - unless you do the 'knob key thing', I do not like the dash washing out in bright sunlight in the right spot. Maybe what you really want is different riding experience which should point you to a different type of bike altogether. These observations are based on riding more than 1 ST1300 in various situations in various places. I could have gotten one a long time ago, but instead I have 3 ST1100s. :D However, YEMV!

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
Mark and Phil, So I guess what you are saying is buy it and keep the 1100 :D Thank you both for your input. I've heard Uncle Phil say the same thing in person several times so I was pretty sure what his feeling were. Interesting to note that you are both the same age but fairly different perspectives.

Ashley

Bike
2004 ST1300
I came over to a 2004 (I'm perhaps a bit different, not wild about the blue color) from a couple of Kawasaki Concours 1000's (a 2002 and a really nice 2005). I didn't "need" the ST1300, but had been watching for the right one to show up. The adjustable w/s, fuel injection (it's cold here a lot and no more messing with the choke/enrichener), better passenger ergonomics, better brakes and can't resist the ambient temp and mileage displays were the primary attractions. Mirrors are poorly located but clear w/o any buzz. Weather/wind protection aren't quite as good as the C10 either, but not major difference. The ST seat is a bit too wide/flat for me and I think there may be some alteration/addition to the foam over winter lay up.

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
So I guess what you are saying is buy it and keep the 1100
Almost...
Chris said "you can get a 'new' bike if you only have one bike and I don't care if you give away the others".
So, I called her brother and asked if he wanted 3 st1100s and he said yes! :D

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Tell me your stories if you have ridden both for an extended time and let me know your thoughts.
Ashley, I pretty much agree with everything Mark says about the two. The best reason to have the 1300 is for its stronger brakes IMHO. They are noticeably better than those on the ST1100. You'll especially notice the difference if you're used to riding a non-ABS 1100 (ABS 1100 has one more caliper piston up front than non-ABS, don't remember about the rear). For me, the electric windscreen turned out to be useless because the minute you start raising it, it creates a pressure differential that causes you to be "sucked" toward the front,... very irritating. As a result, I always rode with it in the full down position.

Looking back on both, I think the ST1100 is the better of the two when it comes to long distance riding because it's more planted and stable on the highway, probably a result of longer wheel base and different rake than the ST1300.

I also agree with Mark's comment about the low speed throttle response. The ST1100, being carbureted is smooth as butter whereas the 1300's FI can be really twitchy. Not a major problem though as you get used to it and learn to compensate.

There are certainly reasons to want the St1300 over the 1100.
1. Brakes have already been mentioned.
2. More torque with the 1300.
3. Despite its low speed throttle quirks, the 1300's FI is less troublesome and better able to handle altitude changes.
4. ST1100 parts and aftermarket goodies will start to become hard to get (if not already so). Aftermarket goodies have been dropping from the market for years. Remember that the ST1100 has been out of production for 14 years (police model 1 or two years less).
5. A treasure trove of experience and maintenance/repair write-ups on this site for the ST1300 along with a huge community ready & willing to help. This is a resource not to be underestimated.

I can understand you wanting something new. I owned 3 ST1100's and I frankly had become bored with them. At the time I bought the ST1300, I really had serious lust for the FJR1300 but the presence of the STO community and the 1300's great tipover wings swung the decision away from the FJR.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
To the particular swap....ABS vs non, better brake feel overall, EFI vs carbs ( no sucking up mercury problems ), mileage reset to less than 20k, the blue you really always wanted :)

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
One thing not mentioned is fuel mileage. On my ST1100, I typically got 38-40 mpg with a best ever 50 mph. On the ST1300, I average 44 mpg and got close to 60 mpg on one slow slog at altitude through 2 national parks.

I like the more responsive handling and better brakes on the ST1300 on tight, technical roads I enjoy. I enjoyed those roads on the ST1100 too but it was a bit more work. The ST1100 was more stable on freeway slogs in the wind and when passing trucks, especially with a more stable tire choice than the stock Exedras. The ST1300 does move around more when passing trucks in a cross wind but I ride other bikes offroad and am used to a motorcycle moving around under me so to me, it's not that big a deal.

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
To the particular swap....ABS vs non, better brake feel overall, EFI vs carbs ( no sucking up mercury problems ), mileage reset to less than 20k, the blue you really always wanted :)
All true Dave, the brakes on the 1300 and way better than my 1100 despite trying various pads and braided lines. Sorry about the mercury:eek::

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
One thing not mentioned is fuel mileage. On my ST1100, I typically got 38-40 mpg with a best ever 50 mph. On the ST1300, I average 44 mpg and got close to 60 mpg on one slow slog at altitude through 2 national parks.
Sounds like your ST1100 was like my '99. I went on a number of long distance trips with a guy who also had an 1100. My buddy would get 42 to 44 mpg while I got 38 to 39. I was always the one who peeled of for a gas station first. That difference stayed the same whether we were on the Interstates or secondary roads. I did everything I could to solve the "problem" but in the end, I had to conclude that not all engines are alike. My '99 was just a gas hog. My '01 on the other hand got an overall average or 41.4 mpg but individual fillups could see as high as 48 mpg.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Hey Ashley. I've spent time on both the 1100 and 1300. When I wrecked my 1100, I seriously contemplated getting a 1300. But, for all the reasons UP and Mick mentioned, I went with another 1100, this time with ABSII... the 3-piston ABSII brakes are significantly better than the ABSI or non-ABS brakes. That being said, if you're wanting to 'upgrade', you might consider a completely different bike, i.e. the '15 or '16 Kawasaki Versys. I've not ridden one but Kawi seems to have hit the sweet spot with this bike... reviews everywhere are phenomenal. Bug Dr. just bought one and he really likes it. They have the smaller 650LT for mostly 1-up riding and the larger 1000LT which is better suited for 2-up. Both at very reasonable prices, for a new bike that does everything this one does. Heck, I'm considering one for a better riding position, lighter bike, easier commuting, better brakes and overall easier maintenance. The bonus is it's a very suitable tourer. Just something to consider. Good luck in your search!

Top Bottom