12V outlet in right hand glove box - dead, blown fuse

Bike
2005 ST1300
Stupidly, i plugged in my motorcycle air compressor in to the 12V outlet on the bike, the one in the right hand pocket. After running for approx 1/2 a second, it stopped running, blown fuse.

My bike has the 12V outlet that has the Honda symbol on the rubber cover and i also have the quartet adapter based on documentation that i have with the bike.

My question, before i strip all of the plastics off the bike this weekend, is can anyone direct me to where the fuse for this outlet is located? Is it an inline style or is it wired to the fuse box somewhere?

thanks and i'll be less stupid next time....i hope

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
It should be right behind the glove box where the outlet is. It is easy to remove the side plastic to replace it. You should add a power outlet that will run larger items like the air compressor while you are in there.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
If the Quartet Harness was installed by a Honda service tech, the 2A fuse should be reachable by popping off the left mirror and using something like a "bird hook" to gently pull it close enough to replace the fuse. If you have to remove additional plastic, make sure you relocate it so the pop-the-mirror trick works next time. Borrow a "bird hook" from a quail-hunting friend.

To prevent a next time, add a 30A fused Battery Tender dongle just outside the battery cover on the right side. Buy a SAE-Cigar lighter adapter, and you can run your air compressor.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
TomStickler's idea is a good one in that it is a quick and simple solution. Another route to go would be to wire up switched sockets installed on the bike in strategic places, with each socket being fused differently. This is the route I took. I had 3 sockets, one on the steering stem fused for my Gamin, one on the left side fairing with a high amp fuse & lower gauge wire for my air pump and heated clothing, and one on the right with a low amp fuse for use with the low wattage electrical goodies in my tank bag (radar detector and Sena bluetooth).

If interested, here's an article showing the placement of these sockets and how I installed them:

5th picture down shows the location of the sockets:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?129565-Farkled-at-last!

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Those little compressors mostly will take anywhere up to 10 amps to run them. My fix, cut off the cigar lighter plug and put an SAE connector on it..... plug in to the Battery Tender harness to fill tires, etc.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
To run the compressor, I put in a SAE lead that comes off the battery on the right side. =
No fuse or current draw problems this way.
And plummed it into the Right saddlebag with a bulkhead kit from Powerlet. Lots of adapters can plug in, including a Lighter socket.
Use the smallest pump U can find. Itt'l fill slow, but it won't draw much amps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom