Looking to buy a 2005 , any issues?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2005 Honda ST1300
What are some of the things I should be looking for? I've been doing lots of reading on the ST1300 , the FJR and the Concours. I'm thinking you can't beat a honda right?
Some of the things I'm already aware of are...

1. The excessive heat from the engine which can be alleviated by adding thermal insulation under the seat area.
2. The SMC (secondary master cylinder) could be causing the brakes to not release heating up the rotor.
3. The steering stem bearings causing speed wobbles. The fix is to replace the ball bearings with tapered bearings and torque properly.
4. The leaking gasket from the head cover. It has to be put on properly when removed.
5. Using OEM brake pads seems to be less of an issue than some aftermarket.
6. The absolute blast they are to ride! :)

Any other things to be aware of?

thanks

Last edited:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
1. The excessive heat from the engine which can be alleviated by adding thermal insulation under the seat area.

Heat seems to be more of an individual issue than a bike issue. I have an '03 and 150,000 miles of non heat issues. Does this mean you won't, no, but more do not have an issue than do.

2. The SMC (secondary master cylinder) could be causing the brakes to not release heating up the rotor.

Again, not all have this happen. Knocking on wood, so far so good. Regular brake bleeds.

3. The steering stem bearings causing speed wobbles. The fix is to replace the ball bearings with tapered bearings and torque properly.

Again - not across the board issue. No wobble for me with a very large windshield, large Givi top box and several runs over 120.

4. The leaking gasket from the head cover. It has to be put on properly when removed.

Only know of it leaking when you trap the rubber mat that is under the throttle bodies between the cover and the engine.
Great bike and very little to worry about. I would not think twice about taking off for a multiple week trip with my partially broke in ST.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
What Kevin said. I have 115,000+ miles on my '05. I recently replaced the water pump (some fail eventually, some don't.) I replaced the driveshaft (around 112K?,) but I think it was due to the rubber protective boot coming off. Pretty trouble free, overall, and not too hard to work on. The steering stem bearings seem to be less of a problem on the 1300s, compared to the 1100s, but I replaced mine when I had the fork tubes off for rebuilding by Race Tech. No SMC problems, so far. Heat can be managed; it's only an issue when it's really hot outside. There's a big engine with gasoline exploding inside just in front of you... You'll either love the Corbin or hate it. If you don't like it, someone will likely take it off your hands and you can buy a Russell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks guys.....My name is Kevin also, so it's a good sign that I should own one of these bikes! :)

Roger, you are right on the money about the corbin seats! I've heard the same thing about them. In fact, the present owner of the bike said that the few weekends he rode it lately, for a couple hundred miles each day, he wasn't impressed with the corbin and took it off to use the stock?

I definitely need a good saddle, my lower back pain (had a few surgeries) makes it difficult to ride for very long without lots of discomfort. I sit too upright on my current ride. I'm hoping a Cadillac bike like this will be an improvement. I'm also hearing that handle bar risers help too....I'm sure I can find a set up to make it easy on me.....

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Anyone know of a good reliable Canadian Vin check web site?

thanks

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
The best thing I ever did to lessen the heat was after market pipes, with out the cats on there its much better. My st is a 2005 . the only issues I ever had was a a blown fuse few years ago. installed new one never had another issue..
and I have a sargent seat love it..

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Sounds to me like you have a good handle on what to expect and what to watch out for

I think Kevin explained it well... not everyone will experience the same issues

Heat - not too bad for me until it's 90+ outside
SMC - had to replace mine on the '08 with only 17k on it - oh well.... $200 and the chance to get to know my bike better... not the end of the world
wobble - I thought that was only with speeds in excess of 120, not a problem for me, 105 is enough... and replace bearings when its time
head gasket - I haven't heard about this one... no leaks on mine
OEM pads - non OEM pads are only 5 bucks less... why risk it for that? OEM for me
FUN - that's for sure!!!!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Any other things to be aware of?
Bikes in the early end of the production run seemed to be more prone to thermostat failure that normal though I am sure that like all other issues it varies by individual unit; not certain whether that tendency extended into the '05 model year. Perhaps the bad batch that Honda had was used up by then. My '04 needed a thermostat-ectomy at about 36K miles / 11 years old.

Some bikes, again perhaps the earlier models, seem to have an excessive appetite for left-side low beam headlight elements. There is a replacement wiring harness available; from the limited number of people who have reported using it there have been claims that it solved the problem.

Finally, there's Articles > ST1300 Known Issues and also the www.st-riders.net "ST1300 Archive of Wisdom".

Good luck and enjoy that beautiful Candy Glory Red.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
The only problem I had with my '05, which had 3.5K miles on it when I bought it in March 2009, was that the clutch went after 70,000 miles which everyone agreed was unusual.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I know there is an ST Wiki as well but the link is a bit tough to spot because it is in a sub-menu that only appears in specific contexts.

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Bikes in the early end of the production run seemed to be more prone to thermostat failure that normal though I am sure that like all other issues it varies by individual unit; not certain whether that tendency extended into the '05 model year. Perhaps the bad batch that Honda had was used up by then. My '04 needed a thermostat-ectomy at about 36K miles / 11 years old.

Some bikes, again perhaps the earlier models, seem to have an excessive appetite for left-side low beam headlight elements. There is a replacement wiring harness available; from the limited number of people who have reported using it there have been claims that it solved the problem.

Finally, there's Articles > ST1300 Known Issues and also the www.st-riders.net "ST1300 Archive of Wisdom".

Good luck and enjoy that beautiful Candy Glory Red.
I would echo Keith's post. My 05 was the 9th one in Canada that year, the thermostat went in April of 08 at 30K. It was fixed under warranty. I am on my fourth left-side low beam headlight.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hi again guys... Thanks very much for the information. I was a little late on pulling the trigger on the ST so it's gone. I'll keep my eyes open for another one though, I think buying a honda ST is a safe bet! Especially with such a good group here.....

Take Care

Bike
2004 ST1300
Not sure where in Canada you are at, but there is a pretty decent 2005 for sale on CraigsList in International Falls Mn. 40K miles, a few farkles, $4000 US obo. Doesn't specify if it's an abs model or not. Thinking about picking it up myself depending on what sort of offer would take it home.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Not sure where in Canada you are at, but there is a pretty decent 2005 for sale on CraigsList in International Falls Mn. 40K miles, a few farkles, $4000 US obo. Doesn't specify if it's an abs model or not. Thinking about picking it up myself depending on what sort of offer would take it home.
Sounds like a good deal, thanks for the heads up! I'm in NB , (30 hr drive) too far for me to go......

Kevin

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Sounds like a good deal, thanks for the heads up! I'm in NB , (30 hr drive) too far for me to go......

Kevin
If it's a bike that interests you maybe someone in the area could check it out for you, and you could have it shipped if the deal goes through. Just an idea...

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
If it's a bike that interests you maybe someone in the area could check it out for you, and you could have it shipped if the deal goes through. Just an idea...
Good idea to keep in mind. I have been looking at travelling a bit or having the bike shipped. Kind of sours the sweet taste of getting a good deal though. I was looking at some bikes in Newfoundland. From where I live , the ferry costs alone were a little over $500 , plus the cost of fuel to drive the 5 hrs to the boat and then 4 more hrs once I got there. I'm getting tired just "thinking" about that trip!! :)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Kind of sours the sweet taste of getting a good deal though.
True enough, and you have to be willing to trust someone else's appraisal of the condition of the bike. Still...

Of course only you can decide what the right course of action is in your specific circumstances.

Good luck, whatever road you travel and however you travel it.

Hey Kevin, I think I might be the guy who bought the ST1300 you were looking at (sorry). Was it a 2005 red one near Wellington, PEI? Mine also came with a corbin seat, so I'm pretty sure it's the same bike, lol.

If you don't like working on bikes, then you dodged a big bullet! This is what it looks like right now.

The bike failed safety because the steering head bearings were notched. Got a tapered set for $40 (which is no big deal), but replacing them is quite the process!

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Same here like Kevin said, I got my almost new she runs as good as the firstday I picked her up...Just rode across desert of New Mexico month ago did almost 5000 miles trip without any issues. But gas-up! :D
125+.jpg

Great bike and very little to worry about. I would not think twice about taking off for a multiple week trip with my partially broke in ST.

Top Bottom