Looking to buy a 2005 , any issues?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Same here like Kevin said, I got my almost new she runs as good as the firstday I picked her up...Just rode across desert of New Mexico month ago did almost 5000 miles trip without any issues. But gas-up! :D
125+.jpg
Same here. When I started my cross continent trip two years ago my '05 had I think 138,xxx miles. At over 160k now I'd still ride it anywhere tomorrow. It dyno'ed a little better at 158,187 miles than it did at 44,165. I gotta start running fancy oil filters if I want it to last.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hey Kevin, I think I might be the guy who bought the ST1300 you were looking at (sorry). Was it a 2005 red one near Wellington, PEI? Mine also came with a corbin seat, so I'm pretty sure it's the same bike, lol.

If you don't like working on bikes, then you dodged a big bullet! This is what it looks like right now.

The bike failed safety because the steering head bearings were notched. Got a tapered set for $40 (which is no big deal), but replacing them is quite the process!
Small world! The bike was in PEI so maybe it was the same one. :) I kind of wanted to wait till the spring to buy one anyways, so that's why I was dragging butt. I usually would go through a bike when I bought it anyways, but that look like a big job! :) I hope everything turns out ok.

Bike
ST1300 2012
My first 05 was developing the thermostat issue last year but I put off doing anything other than ordering a replacement, figuring it would be a good project for the winter, but ended up totaling it when I crashed in December, (18,500 miles) so that part is sitting in my parts box!
My replacement 05 is running fine (roughly 22,600 miles on it) and I have seen no indication of a thermostat issue.

However, I have noticed on BOTH bikes that the headlight adjust motor will occasionally kick on and "search". I think there is a thread somewhere on this site about that.

Otherwise, I figure it is hardly broken in and should give me as many miles as I will be capable of riding!

keep looking-you will be able to find that right one out there!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've bought an '04 and an '05. Both had around 30k miles on them, both had failed thermostats. Replaced with OEM, never looked back or changed again.

I'm sure some day the replacement will fail, but the factory one seems quite predictable in that it will. Don't be surprised, it's an easy fix, just continue on.

Bike
2005 ST1300
However, I have noticed on BOTH bikes that the headlight adjust motor will occasionally kick on and "search". I think there is a thread somewhere on this site about that.
Yes there is a couple threads on this. I was fairly active on one of them.

I ended up just disconnecting the wire to my headlight motor ( after getting some good advice and pictures from the folks here).

No more issues and no more hunting.

Took about 30 seconds to disconnect it. The adjuster didn't work anyhow and I've never had a need to adjust my headlights so I am good. Mine is a 2005 as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Sounds like a good deal, thanks for the heads up! I'm in NB , (30 hr drive) too far for me to go......

Kevin
Hi Kevin: I was in several Honda shops in Quebec in early June and saw a number of nice STs going for realistic dollars. One that stood out was at the shop in Levis QC. Perhaps they have an on-line inventory listing.

Pete

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hi Kevin: I was in several Honda shops in Quebec in early June and saw a number of nice STs going for realistic dollars. One that stood out was at the shop in Levis QC. Perhaps they have an on-line inventory listing.

Pete
Thanks Max for the heads up......I've been looking into what Quebec has to offer also and there are some realistic prices on St's for sure. It's still quite a long hike for me, but you never know.
I thought I was going to be an FJR 1300 rider next, but went for a short ride on an 04 and wasn't impressed at all! Geared very low, throttle twitchy and the rider position didn't favor my back. I'll need to hop on an ST to get a good idea if it fits me or not. Hope so! :)

Bike
2005 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Found my 05 on Kijiji. Love it. Reasonably priced (end of season is getting closer, up here - winter storage). Pleased as punch about my purchase.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Great news Northern! I hope to get that feeling one day soon! :)

When the title of a bike says 2007 1300A , does the "A" mean it can be used as an auto transmission? Does that mean the tranny is different than normal? Are those models the ones to stay away from?

Thanks

Kevin

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
When the title of a bike says 2007 1300A , does the "A" mean it can be used as an auto transmission? Does that mean the tranny is different than normal? Are those models the ones to stay away from?
No, it simply refers to the fact that its an ABS version of the bike...

I Own a 2005 for Some years now. No problems of what so ever. Just buy it and have fun.
wellllll....... Maybe the heat crawling up when waiting for some traffic light on a very hot day.
but then again, I live in the Netherlands we have "hot" weather only a few weeks a year. LOL.

Attachments

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I Own a 2005 for Some years now. No problems of what so ever. Just buy it and have fun.
wellllll....... Maybe the heat crawling up when waiting for some traffic light on a very hot day.
but then again, I live in the Netherlands we have "hot" weather only a few weeks a year. LOL.
Nice looking bike! We here also only have 3-4 months of really warm weather so I can deal with the chestnuts roasting on an open fire I guess! :)

Top Bottom