Installing a new tire - question

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm going to be installing a new rear Pirelli Angel GT on my 1300 next week.

What symbol or mark do I look for on the tire to indicate the spot that goes closest to the inflator valve? Is it embossed, or a painted mark? Or do I have it wrong and it goes 180 degrees away from the valve?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I'm going to be installing a new rear Pirelli Angel GT on my 1300 next week.

What symbol or mark do I look for on the tire to indicate the spot that goes closest to the inflator valve? Is it embossed, or a painted mark? Or do I have it wrong and it goes 180 degrees away from the valve?
Most MC tires have a red dot to indicate the light spot on the tire. The exception that comes to mind is Michelin. This is to be placed over the heavy spot on the wheel, keeping in mind the proper tire rotation.
I have changed hundreds of tubeless MC tires and have always put the wheel, without the tire, on a static balancer to indicate the heavy spot. It is then marked inside the wheel for the next time with a Sharpie or paint. In doing this, I have never once found the true heavy spot on the wheel to be at the valve stem.
I do this extra step to help reduce the use of wheel weights.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Most MC tires have a red dot to indicate the light spot on the tire. The exception that comes to mind is Michelin. This is to be placed over the heavy spot on the wheel, keeping in mind the proper tire rotation.
I have changed hundreds of tubeless MC tires and have always put the wheel, without the tire, on a static balancer to indicate the heavy spot. It is then marked inside the wheel for the next time with a Sharpie or paint. In doing this, I have never once found the true heavy spot on the wheel to be at the valve stem.
My Wing wheel must have been the exception here. Just changed the rear out about 3k miles ago and the valve stem was right on. Put the spot on the tire there and needed no weights.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
from old thread;
Dunlops, Metzeler, Bridgestone, Pirelli have dots.
Avon, Michelin, Conti's don't have dots.
Maxxis, IRC, Cheng Shin, Duro, Kenda don't matter they don't have anything that fit the ST's

As for me;
As default, the "dot" goes at the valve stem which is supposed to be the heavy spot, I find my spot ( after static balance without tire ) to be 8" from the valve stem (which is metal btw )... and rim is marked with nail polish inside.

Top Bottom