Blown Fork Seal,Time for a rebuild.Anybody have a parts list?

Bike
1993 ST1100
90K and was planning on checking steering bearings and replacing fork oil but a leak has sprung so a rebuild would be appropriate.Anybody have a parts list of what I need.Assume seals,bushings,etc,...
Thanks
Michael

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
My 05 1300 just turned 100,00 miles and have a seal that is leaking also.. Hope to replace the seal as soon as possible.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
90K and was planning on checking steering bearings and replacing fork oil but a leak has sprung so a rebuild would be appropriate.Anybody have a parts list of what I need.Assume seals,bushings,etc,...
Thanks
Michael
Would suggest you start here; http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1993/parts.html or http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1993/ST1100+A/FRONT+FORK/parts.html

As for the parts, if just the seal has blown then you really just need new oil seals (32 x 2 in the parts diagram) and new oil. To disassemble the forks you need to remove the damper bolt at the bottom and that has a copper sealing washer (44 x 2), I've reused these many times but you may want to fit a new one. You will need a litre of 10W fork oil. If the fork has never been rebuilt, you can add new inner and outer bushings (13 x 2 and 14 x 2) as well.

More importantly, take a close look at the fork stanchions before you reassemble and you may find a rock dent with raised edges that has cut the seal. Gently file any high spots away before your put it all back together.

Bike
92 ST1100
All good suggestions, but I'd first try the use of a Seal Mate. All bike shops have them to sell for a few bucks, usually many in a platic can on top of counter. I suggest to Google that name and watch the 'how-to' video'. Its use may take you a couple minutes....likely with positive results. Worked for me on both the ST and the Yammy XS1100 a couple yrs. back. Re-use hundreds of times, so just keep it on the bike all the time.....never know, could get a weepy seal while on a LD ride;).

Can remember a few decades ago at moto-x races, a leaky seal was easily wiped clean of any debry on the sealing lips using a piece of 355mm film......worked every time;). Other than configuration, the Seal Mate does the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mznyc
Bike
1993 ST1100
Would suggest you start here; http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1993/parts.html or http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1993/ST1100+A/FRONT+FORK/parts.html

As for the parts, if just the seal has blown then you really just need new oil seals (32 x 2 in the parts diagram) and new oil. To disassemble the forks you need to remove the damper bolt at the bottom and that has a copper sealing washer (44 x 2), I've reused these many times but you may want to fit a new one. You will need a litre of 10W fork oil. If the fork has never been rebuilt, you can add new inner and outer bushings (13 x 2 and 14 x 2) as well.

More importantly, take a close look at the fork stanchions before you reassemble and you may find a rock dent with raised edges that has cut the seal. Gently file any high spots away before your put it all back together.
Thanks for the help Terry and taking the time to post the links.
What about #28 Oil Seal Stopper and #48 O-Ring?
Michael

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the help Terry and taking the time to post the links.
What about #28 Oil Seal Stopper and #48 O-Ring?
Michael
No you don't need those. The seal stopper is a spring steel circlip, infinitely reusable unless you lose it. The fork cap o-ring likewise should be fine to re-use endlessly.

Top Bottom