Please Welcome Your Newest Member Of The Tip-Over Club

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Well, as embarrassing as it is to admit, I "gracefully" joined the ranks of tipping it over.

I was putting her away after a ride this afternoon. As I was making a right hand turn in to my parking space in the parking garage at my apartment complex - just the same as I've done for the past two weeks of ownership - this time I apparently (ahem!) was a little slower & sharper turning in and felt her start to go down.

It was all in slow motion. I didn't go down - the bike just sort of got placed down gently it seemed & the bike laid there with the engine shutting down on its own and the lights on. She looked like a child who had fallen down and wanted daddy to pick her back up.

After getting her back upright using the proper technique (was surprisingly easy) the only noticeable damage was some scuffing on the underside edge of the right wing.

My first thought was "I hope nobody saw me!"

Anyhow, I seem to remember seeing a post about how to "repair" such kind of damage but can't find it. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. I know replacement is an option, but want to try a repair first to see how it would look.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
(a) Welcome to the club. I did exactly as you describe, on my very first ride.

(b) scuffs on the underside of the tip-over wing aren't noticeable so they don't count. No repair needed. :)

(c) I'd think a light application f 220+ grit sandpaper would take care of that if it really bothers you.

(d) Otherwise, order a set of replacements, put 'em on the shelf, and install in 20 years when the bike goes up for sale.

You might want to consider a set of add-on tip-over bars for the panniers- there are at least three models to choose among - as insurance against expen$ive damage to the saddlebags in the event of a future recurrence.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Welcome to the club! My first was at a gas station with my old CB350. Second was in a field on my ST1100. That being said, I back out of my garage onto a gravel drive everyday. Seems I 'almost' have a tip over on many mornings. ;)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, that's a bummer! Sorry to hear that you weren't able to keep it up! :eek::

You have joined a club that has more members than not. A club I like to tease everyone about, since in 10.5 years and over 280,000 miles I have yet to join! Although there are many here that would like to see me join them some day...;)

st1300doug

I did almost the same. Just set it down. I think the plastic cover was ONLY $18. That was in 2009. So-surely they aren't much higher. Check w/the Ron Ayers site.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Rear tip over bars (well, Bygdawg, anyway, since that's what I have) won't touch down in a tip over with the front wheel straight (don't ask how I know). But, if you find a depression and lay her down gently so that the tip over bars (wings you said) are in the depression (aka, pothole), then yes, the rear bars will take the weight of the bike instead of the panniers.

Cheap insurance, imo.

Top Bottom