Helmets Need advice....

I am looking at a new helmet and not sure what I want so need some advice and suggestions...I have considered a half helmet but would also be interested in a 3/4 or open face... I want something I can use my Scala blue-tooth system with.. I would like something when nice can have face in wind but when bad weather won't freeze face or get pounded by rain... Would like something around the $100 mark.. can go a little higher but not looking for a $300 helmet...

STOC #
I like my HJC IS-33 with a retractable dark shade under the flip shield. About $120. You can buy fresh innards for it if the original gets funky.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Would like something around the $100 mark.. can go a little higher but not looking for a $300 helmet...
I guess it is pointless to suggest what I wear - Arai CT-Z - a 3/4 helmet with visor and flip up shield, which also, due to its design, offers the greatest chin protection you will find in a 3/4 helmet. Very comfy and quiet too, but at $500+ in the USA, I guess it is out of the running in protecting your $100 head.

I would add that it offers easy mounting of my Sena SMH10D boom mike and headphones.

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I like my HJC IS-33 with a retractable dark shade under the flip shield. About $120. You can buy fresh innards for it if the original gets funky.
For 'cheaper' helmets, look at the HJC's. Several models are Snell rated, which is a selling point for me. DOT vs Snell ratings are basically, 'one lump or two' survival of the hat during a crash. Just a preference of mine.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I would definitely put a higher value on my head, but then that's just me. I have a HJC IS-17 Genesis and love it. Think I only paid $190 for it. Has the drop down sun shield and was easy to put my Sena in it. I bought this one to replace my HJC-17 that saved my head in my accident two years ago. Hit from behind and slide 150 feet on my back, helmet in contact with ground most of that time. Helmet, along with all my riding gear, was trashed but saved my head. JMHO!

OP
OP
ryterafan
I don't mind paying a little more but can't afford $300-$500 for a helmet I have 2 full helmets one tork and a scorpion they are just to hot on warm days, don't really get much airflow on either...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bush said:
I guess it is out of the running in protecting your $100 head.
:rofl1:

gmast1100 said:
I would definitely put a higher value on my head, but then that's just me.
$190 ?? :rofl1: :rofl1: Do I hear $200? $250?

No Neotechs? No Schuberts? Nobody's got a $700 head? We're overpaying for anything over $500? Ouch.

Oldbikefixr said:
For 'cheaper' helmets, look at the HJC's. Several models are Snell rated, which is a selling point for me. DOT vs Snell ratings are basically, 'one lump or two' survival of the hat during a crash. Just a preference of mine.
This seems like sound advice. I'd lean towards a Snell rating rather than focus too hard on a price point. The HJC IS-33 is about $112 at revzilla.com with free shipping but I don't think it's Snell approved. Regardless of how much I paid for a helmet it would probably be canned after one direct impact i.e. one lump.

You can only afford what you can afford and there are probably at least a few helmets in your price range that are much better than no helmet at all.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #

No Neotechs? No Schuberts? Nobody's got a $700 head? We're overpaying for anything over $500? Ouch.

This seems like sound advice. I'd lean towards a Snell rating rather than focus too hard on a price point. The HJC IS-33 is about $112 at revzilla.com with free shipping but I don't think it's Snell approved. Regardless of how much I paid for a helmet it would probably be canned after one direct impact i.e. one lump.

You can only afford what you can afford and there are probably at least a few helmets in your price range that are much better than no helmet at all.
Laugh all you want like a fool, but I'm a believer in HJC after the one saved my head in the crash that I slid 150 feet on my back, helmet in contact with asphalt all the time. And the helmet, which sits in my M/C shed as a reminder, has been replaced by, you guessed it, another HJC.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
This is always a charged topic ryterafan, but you probably expected that.

I've had good experience with both HJC and KBC for having good price, good fit for my head, and all the safety ratings. But my suggestion to you would be to go to a store and try on the helmets you would be willing to pay for, has the features you want, which fits your head, an has the ratings you accept. I'd also suggest you buy from that store (they had the helmet in Stock and you're using them, so pay them for that 'service').

Bike
2010 ST1300
This is always a charged topic ryterafan, but you probably expected that.

I've had good experience with both HJC and KBC for having good price, good fit for my head, and all the safety ratings. But my suggestion to you would be to go to a store and try on the helmets you would be willing to pay for, has the features you want, which fits your head, an has the ratings you accept. I'd also suggest you buy from that store (they had the helmet in Stock and you're using them, so pay them for that 'service').
+1 for all the above. +1+1 for boldface. Where are we going to be when all the small stores are gone and Amazon lets you try helmets on long distance (if you have a long neck, that is).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Laugh all you want like a fool
No fool here. Try finishing reading my post. You know: the part where I agree with the HJC recommendation and post a link to where the OP can buy it for not much more than the $100 figure which he implied was somewhat flexible.

I'm laughing at the foolish notion that a specific dollar amount determines the value of your "head" and not the overall quality of a given helmet and that anything below that amount implies worthlessness or that you don't care about safety.

The OP asked for advice and I think oldbikefixer nailed it. And whether I pay $100 or $1000 for a helmet if it takes direct impact in a crash it goes in the trash.

The IS-33 is a far cry from the half-hat shells sold at biker shops with the fake DOT sticker. To imply someone must spend more than a specific minimum dollar amount to be safe... Now that's foolish.

Now if you have some specific information showing the IS-33 to be unsuitable as safety equipment let's see it. Making an informed choice is a good thing.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'm hesitant to weigh into this discussion too much; I always buy Arai helmets because I like their quality, fit and finish, but appreciate that I'm paying a premium for that. From a safety perspective I would expect that any Snell or DOT-approved helmet would do a similar job of protecting the wearer in the majority of cases. However I can't imagine riding without a full-face helmet; I had nasty but relatively low speed crash (20 mph) that involved a traffic island, and based on the damage caused to the chin bar of my helmet, my chin and nose would have taken a huge hit without it.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300

'One lump or two' refers to the durability of a helmet during a single crash. DOT rated helmets tend to dissipate impact by coming apart. Any crash that involves multiple contact, obstacle/bike/ground, will leave you a bit wanting. Snell approval is given to helmets that retain their integrity beyond the first strike...hence 'one lump or two'. A hat that has experienced any lumps should be replaced, not repaired and repainted.

Going to step on some toes here but...helmets are becoming boutique gear, much like flashy sneakers. Beyond some point all you get for your money is flash. A $700+
helmet with only a DOT rating can stay on the seller's shelf as far as I'm concerned. If you like them, buy them, be proud of your sense of style.....just expressing my personal opinion.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
'One lump or two' refers to the durability of a helmet during a single crash. DOT rated helmets tend to dissipate impact by coming apart. Any crash that involves multiple contact, obstacle/bike/ground, will leave you a bit wanting. Snell approval is given to helmets that retain their integrity beyond the first strike...hence 'one lump or two'. A hat that has experienced any lumps should be replaced, not repaired and repainted.

Going to step on some toes here but...helmets are becoming boutique gear, much like flashy sneakers. Beyond some point all you get for your money is flash. A $700+
helmet with only a DOT rating can stay on the seller's shelf as far as I'm concerned. If you like them, buy them, be proud of your sense of style.....just expressing my personal opinion.
Again we are in agreement on all points if that wasn't clear in my earlier posts though I'd substitute happy for proud (my personal opinion).

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
In the crash test the HJC-IS 17 and the HJC IS MAX II did better than the $700 and the $500 helmets. The chin bar stayed closed 100% on the HJC IS MAX II in the crash test.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I also agree with most of all this. Price is really all about personal preferences for style, fit and finish. But not all that different in many lower priced vs higher priced helmets. For protection it has been shown by the test done to award ratings that some lower priced helmets do as well or better than higher priced helmets. Since I am on a budget and cannot justify the high price of some lids I at least look for DOT and Snell ratings and then consider price with features I want. I used to have a modular HJC SYMax II when I low sided in 2010. I didn't go sliding like gmast1100 did, but I did put a gash in that lid that convinced me I'd be without many brain cells on more than one side of my noggin if not for the protection. So the next helmet was the very same brand/model. 2 years ago I replaced that one (then 4 years old) with another HJC... The IS-17 Intake HiViz full face with pin-lock visor and drop down sun visor integrated. Under $200 from www.motorcyclegear.com. They still have newer versions of that same model in basic colors for under $185 and free shipping and are very good about size swapping if needed. I find both these models have very good ventilation. Most open faced lids will be noisier than modular lids. Modular lids are noisier than full faced lids. Full faced lids have the best chin/lower face protection and better ones come with a Snell rating. Modular lids do not come with a Snell rating (unless Snell testing has changed since last I looked).

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
No fool here.
Guess you need to reread what I said? Didn't say you were a fool by no means, said laugh like a fool!!

Agree that the HJC's are a good helmet for the buck.l

Again, how many of you have had to use your helmet for what it's intended for? +1 for my HJC,

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Any helmet is better than no helmet at all, no matter what the brand.

3/4 is better than a 1/2 and a modular is better than a 3/4, a full is the best protection based on testing. The cost is a personal thing as far as what you want to spend, I can't say the most expensive full face is better than the cheapest, in fact, as long as it fits well they probably do the same in a crash.

My suggestion is to get a full face. But I know that's not what the OP wanted, so only my opinion on what should be purchased.

Top Bottom