rear brake pad numbers,, latest rev.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Just picked up a new set of oem rear pads,,, and the dealership pointed out that the part number supplied by Honda Canada had a different suffix than what I had requested. It is 06435-mcs-G03,, and it seems that number is also good for the CTX now. Does anyone know differently ?? thx,, Cat'

Byron

STOC #
You didn't state what year bike this is for (sorry missed it in the Bike: info, my bad) or what part number you requested so this is best guess. You probably requested "06435-MCS-G02" which is correct for a 2004 ST1300 but it has been superseded by the part you received. You're golden. :)

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The suffix is a manufacturer and revision code, and based on some of the other parts, I suspect the "G" means "generic." The pads underwent a version change several years ago from -G01 to -G02, and the only difference was the addition of a sheet of paper with safety warnings.

--Mark

OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Good to know,, the new pads will be going in soon,, along with a rear tire change. Here's another question,,, along the same lines. My front and rear pads were changed by the PO of my ST,, as a set. But the rear is worn out,, while the fronts still look pretty good,,, so it seems the rears wear much faster. Reasons for this might be, the cross-linked brakes,,, and/or the fact there are dual disks up front vs just one in the back. Now I think I brake the ST pretty evenly,, and I keep my foot off the brake pedal until needed. It could be that the PO over-used the rears, and I am just seeing the result of that now. Has anyone else noticed a higher relative wear rate on the rear pads ?? thx,, Cat' btw,, the rear rotor is in very good shape,, and the rear brakes do not drag

Last edited:
Good to know,, the new pads will be going in soon,, along with a rear tire change. Here's another question,,, along the same lines. My front and rear pads were changed by the PO of my ST,, as a set. But the rear is worn out,, while the fronts still look pretty good,,, so it seems the rears wear much faster. Reasons for this might be, the cross-linked brakes,,, and/or the fact there are dual disks up front vs just one in the back. Now I think I brake the ST pretty evenly,, and I keep my foot off the brake pedal until needed. It could be that the PO over-used the rears, and I am just seeing the result of that now. Has anyone else noticed a higher relative wear rate on the rear pads ?? thx,, Cat' btw,, the rear rotor is in very good shape,, and the rear brakes do not drag
Yep, my rear pads are also much more worn than the front, although I only had the bike for a few months so not sure if how the PO changed them. But they are all EBC so one would suspect they were changed at the same time. Also makes sense since I understand the OEM rear pads are thicker than the front?

I also need to change my rear set soon as they are getting thin although both front sets still look like they have plenty of life left. Got a set of EBC HH ready but was wondering whether better to get a set of OEM for the rear...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I guess this thread is as good a place as any to report today's ride experience (since it is kind of related to rear braking). I was touring a visiting biker around,, and he was driving his 2001 BMW R1200c. He is a competent rider,, and the Beemer is a really artistic and solid looking bike,,, c/w new rubber and a 2nd gen abs system. The conditions were warm with intermittent light showers,, just enough to wet down the roads. Anyway,,, I led around an intersection,, and then I heard that dreaded skidding sound from behind. Glancing in my rearviews,, I saw him sliding through the intersection, still riding the bike on it's side. After we picked everything up again,, with the help of about 4 motorists who stopped to assist,,, we started assessing the damages. He ripped his shorts,,, and his hoodie got a bit wet and dirty from the slide,,, yup,,, that's was it. The bike's RH saddle bag took the worst of it,,, and he is going to learn all about repairing plastic. Other than that,,, the crash bar is a bit scuffed up,, the front brake handle snapped the end off,,, and a couple of other minor nick's. So it could have been a lot,, lot worse. He has since rode it back to Toronto,, about 100 miles away. But what caused the incident,, the rear wheel lockup,, and resulting slide. My non-abs ST13 did not even notice the wet conditions. The BMW's abs seemed to fail,, and the tail kicked out like it was on ice. His new rear tire was a D404,, which I run myself on my CB's,,, and it has always served me well in heavy rain riding. I asked when the last time the brake fluid was changed,,, and he thought,, about never,,, which was at least 15 years ago. The incident reminded me of one of our earlier threads on the value of abs. And I think I said then,, that you don't really need abs,, until the day that you do !! Maybe the BMW's abs is not active on the rear circuit,, I don't know,, but will try to figure it out. I don't ever want to see a wingman go down again,,, Cat'

Last edited:
Top Bottom