New ST1100 owner, big project....

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Those carbs have sat a LONG time! Are you replacing the diaphragms too? Those are about $90 a piece - the carbs shouldn't need parts other than that and a good cleaning. Ultrasonic cleaners work great on jets in just a couple of minutes.

Oh, and if you don't have a JIS screwdriver - get yourself one before you strip out the screws. Those cross point screws are NOT Phillips screws.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
On a side note, and whilst you have all the plastic off, go over the electrical connections, in particular the white connector at the voltage/regulator, the red connector to the main relay, as well as the red connector with the three yellow wires from the alternator. make sure the wires haven't suffered from corrosion and or melting.

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100

SHE LIVES! I'm so unbelievably happy! I've got some major cleaning to do and some Tupperware to install before I can take her for a short spin but, so far so good....

YAYYYY!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100

This is right after a short trip around town just to get a feel for her and evaluate the work I've done...
This bike is a little intimidating after riding my Nighthawk. She's taller and heavier. Also, for how quiet she is, she's pretty darn quick! I actually was expecting this bike to be a little less snappy than the NH but now I'm not so sure.
Tomorrow morning I'm gonna ride a little farther from home to stretch her legs a little and get a better feel for her. I'm really feeling good about this bike!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...she's pretty darn quick! I actually was expecting this bike to be a little less snappy than the NH but now I'm not so sure.
Congrats on the successfully revival.

And yes, the ST1100 gets underestimated pretty much everywhere... ;-)

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
just replace the screws for hex keyed socket...there's always "the next time"
You can do that, but what about all the other JIS screws on the bike? Get yourself the proper tools for the bike and it'll make life easier. :) I liked the JIS screwdriver so much, I bought a second, and a $15 screwdriver is not a light purchase.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Tomorrow morning I'm gonna ride a little farther from home to stretch her legs a little and get a better feel for her. I'm really feeling good about this bike!
Before you ride very far from home, have you thoroughly inspected the tires? Might want to check the date code on them as well to see how old they are, FWIW.

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
Before you ride very far from home, have you thoroughly inspected the tires? Might want to check the date code on them as well to see how old they are, FWIW.
The tires are only 5 years old according to the date code, but the back tire is pretty well used up. I'm already lining that up.

Nice, Welcome to the Flock, time to change the Bike type on your Profile and RIDE.
Hey! You're right!

Top Bottom