Looking for Float Needles - ST1100.....

STOC #
Wow, it's been a long, long time since I posted here. I've not ridden in more than 7 years and I'm now going through the carbs on my '92 ST so that it will run properly and I can either sell it (original intention) or perhaps put it back on the road (still a tempting possibility). I've got some float bowl gaskets coming on Tuesday but then I noticed, after an examination under my microscope, that the rubber tips of the float needles are cracked. They might work for a short time, but they really should be replaced. I could, of course, get four needle valve assemblies from Honda but that would likely cost me over 100 dollars. So, does anyone know of other options? A source for just the needles? Aftermarket? A good used set? The bowl gaskets I'm getting are from Sirius Consolidated up in Canada. http://www.siriusconinc.com http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=3089 They also have some needle valve sets and I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried them. http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=1858 They claim better than OEM.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Martin

OP
OP
STOC #
Well, I decided to try the needles from Sirius. They should arrive Friday and I figure, for 30 dollars plus shipping, it's worth the risk. Likely they will be better than the 25 year old ones that I currently have. I'll report back after I get them.

OP
OP
STOC #
'Just got the needle sets from FedEx. I examined the needles and the seats under the microscope and they look good. I gently blew into the assembly and with very light pressure on the needle with my finger, I was able to easily shut off the air flow, so they should work fine with fuel. I'll examine my existing seats in the carbs and if they look good, I may just dispense with swapping them out and just use the new needles. This assumes, of course, that the needles will fit they old seats.

All in all I'm impressed so far, especially since they're only $7.50 for each assembly.

I'll report back later when I get them installed and the bike is running again.

OP
OP
STOC #
I finally got around to finishing the carbs and installing them. The needles were a different size so I replaced the seats as well. They looked like they'd work and they are. Same with the float bowl gaskets. I've got a new battery on order from Amazon and in the meantime, I'm going to put the rest of the bike back together and clean it up. I'm still likely to sell it and if I do, the buyer gets overhauled carbs, a new battery, and a few other goodies.

Pix below are of the OEM and the aftermarket float valve sets. OEM on bottom, aftermarket on top.

IMG_3676.JPG

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Those needles & seats look exactly like the ones I put in my ST1100 about three years ago. They were for a VFR1100, ( or something like that ). I figured they should work fine because the motor they were for also used Keihn carbs and had about the same H.P. as the ST1100 , so should flow good enough, even though they were a bit smaller in diameter.

Been working fine the last three years, and you can't beat the price.

Edit : Did some digging and found the packages the needle & seats came in. K&L PN is 18-4616.

And found another source : http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900243459

Last edited:
OP
OP
STOC #
The engine fired up with just a few turns of the crank and runs fine. I'm not going to do any more tuning of the carbs as they seem as smooth and sync'd as before. (I was very careful in disassembly and reassembly to keep screws, floats, jets, needles, slides from getting crossed up.) I've now got a battery on order from Amazon. The 240 CCA version from Yuasa. Yea, overkill for the bike if I'm selling it, but I may still not sell it. At this point, all it needs is new rotors, pads and brake fluid, plus tires and coolant and it's back on the road again. I'm soooo tempted to do that. Especially since I'm working part time now (consulting) and making more than I did before at my full time job. For under a thousand, it's back on the road. And I have a nice new Shoei RF1200 as well. Hmmmm......

And Phil....yep, I'm still alive and kicking. A little more deranged than before, perhaps, but still kicking.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
After all those years of ownership Martin, you'd be sad to see 'er go and you know the bike inside out, so keeping it roadworthy for many more years isn't going to cost much, but the main reason to keep it is just because you know it is such a well made machine and you will never see the likes of it from Honda again, or so it would seem with the direction that company has taken.

OP
OP
STOC #
You guys aren't helping. Not that I need that much to hang onto it. Which I am giving serious thought to doing. I received my new battery yesterday, filled it with acid last night, charged it overnight, and now it's ready to go in the bike. When I do that and get the rest of the plastic on the bike, I'll take it for a short ride around the neighborhood. That may be what it takes for me to positively decide to keep it. Working only 3 days a week now gives me plenty of time to fool with it. Or maybe I should go the the range with my new AR. Hmmmm.....

FYI, the battery I got for it is the high capacity Yuasa with 240 CCA. Their top of the line. And it only cost me 76 dollars plus tax from Amazon. I paid more than that for my last one 10 years ago.

Phil: 'Glad to know you're still getting out and about riding. I never was able to get that rescue T shirt for you from my neighbor who used to head up one of the top urban rescue teams in the USA. Sorry. He's no longer head of the team but is still currently Fire Chief of the Menlo Park fire department. And now, 3 or 4 years after his accident, is very likely the only fire chief in the USA who's officially a quadriplegic. Amazing man who just keeps on going.

Top Bottom