Helmets Itchy head

Bike
Vstrom 650
Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum or if this has been discussed before, this last few months I have been getting the most annoying itchy head in my Shoei Qwest, I don't know what's causng it,never remember having this issue before, it's got so bad I can't go more than 10 or 15 miles before having to tear the helmet off and scratch my head.
Could it be the qwest helmet?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Have you tried washing the liner? I have had hats cause the same thing when they were dirty.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wear one of those thin fabric beanies - looks a lot like the do rag a lot of Harley riders wear. Keeps my sweat off the liner and keeps the hat smelling fresh longer. And, of course, I wash it after every ride of more than a few hours (if I sweat into it) - it dries in no time.

OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks guys, I'll try washing the liner to see if it helps, we don't get very hot weather here so that's not the issue, I notice the Shoei leaves the tracks of the liner in my hair,sort of got 3 or 4 ridges in my hair,and this time of year when I'm on the bikes a lot I have this permanent messed up hair style going on!!
The qwest is a snug fit but not uncomfortable apart from the itchy head thing.
I had a Caberg flip up helmet before and never had any issues with itch, though I think it was slightly too big for me, XL the Shoei is size L.
I'll look into the fabric beanie thing, my Mrs wears something like that under her helmet but I thought it was just because she's got long hair.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If you've got hair longer than a buzz cut a helmet liner will help reduce 'helmet hair'. The thin nylon variety won't affect the fit if the helmet. You can wash them in a hotel sink and they'll be dry by morning. Or you can use the hairdryer some hotels have in the bathroom.

A couple of points: wash it a couple of times in hot water before every wearing it. Some of these will bleed the color when new. And try to avoid those with a heavy seam around the edge. You think ridges in your hair look odd try having a large groove across your forehead. :rofl1:

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Sometimes it is the air moving around under the helmet ,try closing all the vents to see if this goes away it can be fun to figure out but that is my experience .

Bike
2006 ST1300
Washing the liner worked for me. Just in case you could wash your hair in pet shampoo for the critters! Those guys get rowdy when the heat is on :) Just kidding of course

OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks guys,I'll try a few of your suggestions, it's not the helmet hair that bothers me just the annoying itch, could be that washing my hair every day in the shower isn't helping,there is something causing it lately because I used to ride for hours before and never remember it being a problem before.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
broc11 said:
never remember having this issue before, it's got so bad I can't go more than 10 or 15 miles before having to tear the helmet off and scratch my head.
Has something changed a few months ago when this started? A change in shampoo? Were you wearing the Qwest previously with no itching or did it start with the Qwest? Could the helmet have been stored somewhere that something got into it? Some debris? Do you know anybody with a rude sense of humor? After you stop and scratch is everything OK or do you have to stop again and again?

broc11 said:
Could it be the qwest helmet?
It sure could especially if this has been happening since you got the helmet but you'll need to investigate a little more. Is the Shoei noticeably heavier than your Caberg? Maybe take a short loop around the area until you end up near home when the itching starts and have your wife look at your scalp to see any signs of irritation.

broc11 said:
I used to ride for hours before and never remember it being a problem before.
If that was with the Qwest then try to remember if there was some change in your routine that might account for this. Did you not wash your hair daily then? (Lots of women don't but that's usually because longer hair is hard to style when washed daily.) Then there's the shampoo thing. Try using a baby shampoo for awhile? (Pet shampoo! :rofl1:)

If you scalp is very dry the confines (and weight?) of the Qwest could be the source of irritation. Maybe you're sensitive to something in the construction of the Qwest. Maybe there's some sort of contamination that got into it. Ride through any Hazmat area a few months back? Or maybe you should check in with a dermatologist.

Wipe down the liner with a white towel to check for some kind of irritant before washing the liner. Maybe you'll see something maybe you won't.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
FWIW, I shot some disinfectant spray inside and let it sit to dry. Smells good afterwards, too.

Peace and All Good

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Helmet Fresh spray and full-time use of my Silky helmet liner:
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/silky-motorcycle-helmet-liner
The guy in the picture is wearing it like a dork but it's the best liner I've found. It doesn't stretch while putting on the helmet, unlike all the others, important IMNSHO... hair, earplugs, ears stay in place.
A liner is essential gear, especially on hot multi-day trips.
FWIW YMMV Yada yada

John

OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
Has something changed a few months ago when this started? A change in shampoo? Were you wearing the Qwest previously with no itching or did it start with the Qwest? Could the helmet have been stored somewhere that something got into it? Some debris? Do you know anybody with a rude sense of humor? After you stop and scratch is everything OK or do you have to stop again and again?
I have been wearing the qwest for a year, I think it was a bit itchy/uncomfortable all along, but it's got really bad this last few weeks/months.
I went for a ride this evening, I had a shower before I went but didn't wash my hair, itch wasn't bad, resisted the temptation to move the helmet abit with the chin bar to sort of itch my head, I think I may have been shampooing the hair too much, I'm going to shampoo only once or twice a week for while to see if it helps, I'll also look into getting a do rag:D

I have some Motul interior helmet cleaner, it came with a set of free gifts I got with Bridgestone tyres one time, I shoot a spray of that into the helmet sometimes it freshens it up and disinfects I think.
I'll remove the liner and wash it, but I think washing the hair too often could be the issue, I'll see, thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
Helmet Fresh spray and full-time use of my Silky helmet liner:
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/silky-motorcycle-helmet-liner
The guy in the picture is wearing it like a dork but it's the best liner I've found. It doesn't stretch while putting on the helmet, unlike all the others, important IMNSHO... hair, earplugs, ears stay in place.
A liner is essential gear, especially on hot multi-day trips.
FWIW YMMV Yada yada

John
Thanks John, I'll give that a try if the problem doesn't go away with me shampooing less and cleaning the helmet/washing the liner.
I'll see if I can find a supplier this side of the pond.

OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
If you scalp is very dry the confines (and weight?) of the Qwest could be the source of irritation. Maybe you're sensitive to something in the construction of the Qwest. Maybe there's some sort of contamination that got into it. Ride through any Hazmat area a few months back? Or maybe you should check in with a dermatologist.
I think the qwest is a snugger fit than my old xl caberg, it must be in more contact with the hair, maybe I'd be better going back to an xl helmet and wearing one of the helmet liners John has.
I don't think there's any bugs on my head or in helmet,:confused: but you never know, will check it out, thanks again.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Give Head and Shoulders a try.
Riding buddy used to complain of an itchy head as well. Never had dandruff or any other dermatological condition- just an itchy head. Doctor told him that using a dandruff shampoo will help alleviate the itch even if he didn't have dandruff. He tried Head and Shoulders and it worked for him. It is all that he will use now! They even have one specifically for itchy scalps.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I have been wearing the qwest for a year, I think it was a bit itchy/uncomfortable all along, but it's got really bad this last few weeks/months.
I went for a ride this evening, I had a shower before I went but didn't wash my hair, itch wasn't bad, resisted the temptation to move the helmet abit with the chin bar to sort of itch my head, I think I may have been shampooing the hair too much, I'm going to shampoo only once or twice a week for while to see if it helps, I'll also look into getting a do rag:D

I have some Motul interior helmet cleaner, it came with a set of free gifts I got with Bridgestone tyres one time, I shoot a spray of that into the helmet sometimes it freshens it up and disinfects I think.
I'll remove the liner and wash it, but I think washing the hair too often could be the issue, I'll see, thanks for the help guys.
Qwest liner isn't removable.

Good luck with the itches.

OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
Qwest liner isn't removable.
Thanks yeah I just discovered that, I'll have to wash the entire helmet in a basin,I'll use some baby shampoo, it will get a good clean out anyway!!

They even have one specifically for itchy scalps.
Thanks Andrew, I will try that shampoo, I think it's a combination of things causing the problem.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I think it's a combination of things causing the problem.
Likely...
Could be you start to develop some mild allergy to... whatever...
Maybe your hair-shampoo/shower-gel, the liner cleaner solvent used, irritation from salt/minerals left by sweat, might be a metal allergy (dark fabric colours, black (like the helmet liner) in particular can/might contain metals your skin can react to...), it could even be just the mix of exhaust-sooth and road-dust drawn in though the helmet vents...

I faced a similar issue, occasionally starting to suffer deep, inflamed pimples on forehead, temples, malars and cheeks...
My regular, weekly cleaning of helmet liner alone didn't help much... till I decided to apply a mild disinfectant (Octenisept, comes in a small, 50ml pump-spray) every time after cleaning the helmet liner... what you know, my taint improved, no more scarred teenager-face ;-)

Bike
92 ST1100
Have you tried washing the liner? I have had hats cause the same thing when they were dirty.
:rofl1: I'm not sure why, but at first I thought your post said Cats! I was about to ask you why you had cats on your head... I musta inhaled too much carb cleaner.

Top Bottom