Helmets Itchy head

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
I wear one of those thin fabric beanies - looks a lot like the do rag a lot of Harley riders wear. Keeps my sweat off the liner and keeps the hat smelling fresh longer. And, of course, I wash it after every ride of more than a few hours (if I sweat into it) - it dries in no time.
+1 This works for me also!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Helmet Fresh spray and full-time use of my Silky helmet liner:
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/silky-motorcycle-helmet-liner
John, this does look a bit, uhm... "Amish" though ;-) (yeah, I'm aware that such headdress is standard gear for jet-pilots...)
How thick is such a liner?
Picking my Shoei sizes on the tight fit, already a normal Coolmax & Sympatex Balaclava gives some issues when pulling the lid over it...
OTOH the shorter/less hair I grow, the more sweat and skin grease are wicked up by the OEM helmet liner...

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
A bit late to the party, but I'll add:

I clean the liner of my helmet frequently, and always wear a liner that is regularly laundered.

For me the itch sensation is caused by my hair being pressed down in a direction which is not normal. It only happens once in a while and I've gotten better at avoiding it. Upon removal of my helmet and liner, my scalp shows very unusual cowlicks and part-lines on it whenever the itch shows up.

If my scalp gets itchy, I have to stop and remove my helmet and liner, comb my hair back to it's natural lay, let it relax for ~10 minutes, then I carefully reposition my liner to not reorient the hairs, and reinstall the helmet. If I jostle around my helmet too much while getting it positioned on my head, or if it starts to itch while riding and I push the helmet around trying to satisfy the itch, the liner moves slightly and amplifies the pull of my hair in un-natural directions.

Bike
2010 ST1300
A bit late to the party, but I'll add:

I clean the liner of my helmet frequently, and always wear a liner that is regularly laundered.

For me the itch sensation is caused by my hair being pressed down in a direction which is not normal. It only happens once in a while and I've gotten better at avoiding it. Upon removal of my helmet and liner, my scalp shows very unusual cowlicks and part-lines on it whenever the itch shows up.

If my scalp gets itchy, I have to stop and remove my helmet and liner, comb my hair back to it's natural lay, let it relax for ~10 minutes, then I carefully reposition my liner to not reorient the hairs, and reinstall the helmet. If I jostle around my helmet too much while getting it positioned on my head, or if it starts to itch while riding and I push the helmet around trying to satisfy the itch, the liner moves slightly and amplifies the pull of my hair in un-natural directions.
I experienced this on my 1k ride last week. I replaced my Cycle gear non stretchy beanie with one from BMW that is stretchy. My scalp wasn't just itchy but hurt. I couldn't touch my scalp. I will use the bmw cap for commuting but I will find a different beanie for long distance.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
John, this does look a bit, uhm... "Amish" though ;-) (yeah, I'm aware that such headdress is standard gear for jet-pilots...)
How thick is such a liner?
Picking my Shoei sizes on the tight fit, already a normal Coolmax & Sympatex Balaclava gives some issues when pulling the lid over it...
OTOH the shorter/less hair I grow, the more sweat and skin grease are wicked up by the OEM helmet liner...
Hi Martin. I don't have much hair to worry about anymore, so that's not much of a problem. But this liner keeps what hair I have from being skewed around when my full-face helmet goes on and while wearing it. As I mentioned, this liner doesn't stretch. My ears and earplugs stay in place when the helmet goes on! It's made up of two layers, a fine silk-like inner and a heavier outer. You have to buy the right size because they DON'T STRETCH. The liner isn't very thick, but I wear it every time and it fits in my helmet just fine, so... it's thickness isn't a problem for me.

I do have a 'winter' balaclava liner but besides being thicker (tight fit), it stretches too much (have looked for a non-stretch one, but 'no joy'); so I usually just use the Silky, close up the helmet vents and stand up my Aerostich's collar. Might add one of my neck gators.

Regards, John
via iPad Mini 2

Bike
2005 FJR1300A
STOC #
I find that if I let my hair get long it will make my head itch under the helmet, more in the front. A quick buzz cut and I'm good for a few months.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I don't have much hair to worry about anymore, so that's not much of a problem.
Ditto ;-)
3mm all around, looking like a "poppyseed roll"...
It's made up of two layers, a fine silk-like inner and a heavier outer.
Will it shrink when thrown into the washer? (hand warm only with special detergent for the wick/functional underwear)
Thin enough to dry over night after hand-washing in a hotel bathroom-sink?
I do have a 'winter' balaclava liner...
Whilst handy for protecting a pony-tail (and the default heat-needs) of female passengers, am I personally not a great fan of those balaclavas...
Especially in heavy downpours they just act like a wick, drawing every single drop of water from even the tiniest leak just everywhere...
So I prefer my neat windstopper/fleece neck-warmer, plus the zip-on storm collar of my Dainese jacket.

Still I'd like to address mentioned hygiene issue with the helmet/liner... with the intercom headset installed I cannot just soak the lid every day after riding.
Further will too intensive/frequent use of helmet liner spray cause early disintegration of the foam padding underneath the fabric/velours...

I looked for such jet-pilot style liner/headdress for quite some time now (and was laughed at heavily in local forums... :roll:) but no avail.
Are other brands/dealers in the US carrying similar products to that Silky Comfort Liner?

OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
I simply can't help you .

Good one, this thread was just made for you Itchy:)

I have started using the Head and shoulders itchy scalp shampoo, and stopped shampooing all the time, I still shower every day, wash the hair with water only,and it seems to be helping,use the shampoo maybe twice a week.
I agree with Bakerboy, a lot of the problem is the hair getting squished and placed in an unnatural position,whatever it is about the qwest helmet,it leaves tramlines in my hair, they are still there even after a hair cut and hair washed,must just be because of the fit and the air venting from the front and out the 2 exhaust vents at the back.
Haven't got around to washing the helmet yet,I will this week and go back to using the old Caberg for a few days, I think the problem was shampooing too much though, my scalp/hair were dried out from it.

Last edited:

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I wash my helmet liner & Beanie using shampoo. When on the road Just wash the beanie at shower X, pretty much dry by morning, again, with shampoo.
After a long trip strip helmet. Use air to blow out the extras. Warm wash rag with shampoo, clean the inside. wipe it down a couple X's. Rinse with clear water, dry go too go.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
....Will it shrink when thrown into the washer? (hand warm only with special detergent for the wick/functional underwear)
Thin enough to dry over night after hand-washing in a hotel bathroom-sink?
It will not shrink and it will generally dry overnight. Hit it with the in-room hair dryer if need be. I have a second one that I often carry on multi-day trips.
Still I'd like to address mentioned hygiene issue with the helmet/liner... with the intercom headset installed I cannot just soak the lid every day after riding.
Same here. My J&M headset is semi-permanently installed so the helmet liner helps with that. I use a foam cleaner carefully (speakers) when needed.
I looked for such jet-pilot style liner/headdress for quite some time now (and was laughed at heavily in local forums... :roll:) but no avail.
Are other brands/dealers in the US carrying similar products to that Silky Comfort Liner?
Not that I could find. The company that made the original "Silks" brand helmet liner (I wore two of them out over all the years) evidently went out of business. My last one turned quite threadbare while I continued to look for something similar. Finally found the "Silky" brand that Whitehorse carries. Haven't seen it elsewhere but haven't looked further. HTH

Regards, John

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
use the shampoo maybe twice a week
I can not tell you whether or not using it every single day is required in your case but just FYI- the Doctor of the friend I referenced to you when I suggested the Head and Shoulders explained to him that the active ingredient in Head and Shoulders is present in very small quantities because it is designed to be used regularly. Because of this he instructed him to use it as his regular shampoo in lieu of anything else. Was the doctor already aware of the frequency that he shampoos his hair when he made that recommendation- I have no idea. I do know that the Head and Shoulders commercials here in North America market it as a shampoo gentle enough to be used everyday so there is no danger in doing so. If your itchiness continues you may want to increase the frequency of use as the non Head and Shoulders shampooing (even if it is only water) in between may just be washing away the active ingredient and rendering it ineffective. I think starting out I would use it every time I shampooed to build up enough of the active ingredient and see whether it helps or not.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
I have used Head & Shoulders every day for about 30 years with no problems what-so-ever. I don't suffer from itching at all, ever.

I do wear a Bandana as a helmet liner and wash it about once a week. Note I do about 300 miles a week, every week in nearly all weathers (-20C to +40C).

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
I wear one of those thin fabric beanies - looks a lot like the do rag a lot of Harley riders wear. Keeps my sweat off the liner and keeps the hat smelling fresh longer. And, of course, I wash it after every ride of more than a few hours (if I sweat into it) - it dries in no time.
The wife and also like them, I have a few of them, so while a few of them are in the wash, a few of them are on the top box ready to use. Here is the brand I use. Actually, they are welding benies if any one of you guys want to know what they are called.

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
The wife and also like them, I have a few of them, so while a few of them are in the wash, a few of them are on the top box ready to use. Here is the brand I use. Actually, they are welding benies if any one of you guys want to know what they are called.
Al,
From what I've seen, welding beanies are thicker - made to protect your head from sparks and grinding stuff. That would be much to thick inside my helmet. The one I use is more like a blue bandana fabric and has an almost imperceptible hem around the perimeter. My first one had a thicker hem that left a mark on my forehead and gave me a headache after a few hours of riding. I got it from Iron Pony - they have quite a few choices on their website.

At the BMW MOA national rally there was a vendor selling these things made out of a wicking stretchy fabric (that they used to make underwear, too). I gasped at their prices, but then, at this rally everything seemed pricey (except the food).

Peter

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Al,
From what I've seen, welding beanies are thicker - made to protect your head from sparks and grinding stuff.
Peter
Peter,
You are correct, but the one in the picture is a bit different. See the black part, it actually is like a women's nylon stocking. When I get my hair cut with with a #2 or #3 clipper guard most of my hair pops though the black nylon. Also, the nylon material has never had a run in it after numerous washes. Kind of a heavy duty nylon material. Also no headaches for the wife or I wearing them. Actually, sometimes I put 2 of them on if it's a bit chilly. Keeps the head a bit warmer than without one on.
Also, the wife has got the fancy Pink with girlie things on it "do-rag" from Iron Pony and she acutually prefers these welding benie caps.
Let me know and I send you a couple to try if you like. They have an elastic in the back to kind of hold it in place and it's one size fits all. So if you want it a bit smaller, wash it in warmer water. It does shrink on the white material, but the black nylon does not shrink.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have been getting the most annoying itchy head in my Shoei Qwest, I don't know what's causng it,never remember having this issue before, it's got so bad I can't go more than 10 or 15 miles before having to tear the helmet off and scratch my head.
The one year anniversary is approaching. Did you ever find the cause/cure?

OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
yes got a new helmet, the shoei qwest for whatever reason just made my head itchy, using a hjc now, problem solved.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I have had moments with itchy 'helmets' too. And not-itchy ones with the same helmet. It was more prominent with a former helmet (brand I've forgot) and a Schampa Coolskin skull cap.

I found it to be a combo of the lay of the felt inside the helmet AND the fabric 'grain' of the skull cap. If the skull cap fabric 'grain' and lay of the helmet felt slowly caused the skull cap to slide against the lay of my hair, the hairs would give and slowly bend at their root, making extreme itch.

My Shoei RF1000 and current Schampa Skullies cap don't cause the problem at all thankfully.
;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom