Bluetooth headphones

Hello all. I've just changed helmets and have purchased a modular helmet for the first time. It's a scorpion exo 900x,and my only regret is i didn't buy it sooner. Now all that being said, it has pockets in the ear compartment for speakers. I'd really like to get some bluetooth headphones that would fit in there for some music on the long trips. Anyone have any thoughts on what to get and where to get them.?

Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.

Neil

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
One word... Sena. I use an SMH10. They work really well.

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
I have used Scala and now I have Sena 20S.....Sena is by far the superior unit.....Neither is cheap but Sena outstanding and worth every penny......Bill

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have a SENA20S and still have not used all the features. Talk to my daughter and do not have to worry about range. Good out to a mile unless around the corner of a mountain. About to buy another set as my son now has his permit.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Tried Scala, tried Sena. Have 3 Sena in my possession, no more Scala.

Forget about any FM reception, it sucks across all brands.

Buy what will interface with you and your riding partners. Scala, Sena or ???. A system is useless if not used.

If your partner is primarily your pillion, and has no set-up already, then I highly recommend the Sena 10. The 20 is nice, my GF has mine, but is not worth the price premium. YMMV

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Another happy Sena user I have the SMH10 love it no other words I get XM radio GPS and intercom with my wife and I can pair with other riders if I choose to.

OP
OP
Looks like when I'm ready for a communication set up I'll know what to get. What I'm looking for are simple bluetooth speakers that I can put in my helmet. Just something to listen to music with.

Neil

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi Neil: I have a Scala Rider Q3 and am pleased with it. I use the intercom, phone and FM radio and they all work well as does the BT link with my iTunes on my phone.

Not or sure what the problem is with Scala from the other folks - mine is good.

BTW - I live in Windsor too. PM sent.

Pete

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
What I like about the $60.us Shark audio,, is that it gives me anything my smartphone sends via bluetooth. Gps, music, text message receive and send,, phone calls. There is an aux input jack on the unit as well,, but I have never played with it. Intercom is decent between my rider and myself. Music quality is ok,,, lacking a bit on bass,,, but decent enough. I could be louder,,, and I nearly max it out without distortion. Cat'

Looks like when I'm ready for a communication set up I'll know what to get. What I'm looking for are simple bluetooth speakers that I can put in my helmet. Just something to listen to music with.

Neil

Neil
We us the Sena SMH 5 w/FM. Bluetooth pairs with my Android phone and tunes just fine. Lacks some features of the 10s or 20s but $75-100 less a headset. Features not used but more $$ for gas and tires :D.

STOC #
Well, I'm just coming to the BT party. Not yet actually. I've been a J & M cb/intercom user for the past 10 years or so. It's been good, but I'm getting a bit tired of all the wires and boxes. I'm setting up the new Versys and started thinking (dangerous and possibly expensive) about a bluetooth system.

Sena seems to be the choice of the experienced users. However, one of the most common complaints on the BT systems has been concerning sound quality and volume for music. What say ye?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
The sound quality of the Sena is pretty good not Bang and Olaphson quality but adequate for the road. If you want better quality sound you can get the helmet mount that allows you to use your own ear buds or custom molded earplugs with speakers in them these will give you the best quality. As far as volume goes I wear foam earplugs and can hear everything fine.

STOC #
The sound quality of the Sena is pretty good not Bang and Olaphson quality but adequate for the road. If you want better quality sound you can get the helmet mount that allows you to use your own ear buds or custom molded earplugs with speakers in them these will give you the best quality. As far as volume goes I wear foam earplugs and can hear everything fine.
Thanks STeve.
I'm exploring the possibilities at this point. The good thing about J & M and wired systems in general I guess, is that you can cobble what ever source into the unit you like with various mixers/amps and such. With a mixer box and

Ampli Rider, I was able to feed music, gps, radar detector and intercom (and I forgot CB too!) all at the same time. Sounds complicated and overwhelming, but it worked fairly well for me. Music sound quality was pretty good with the J&M headsets.

With BT units, from what I gather, you're limited to a few sources and getting a BT feed from a radar detector still seems to evade the manufacturers (without sacrificing some other source).

I see that the new Sens 20S has those bases covered, but the radar detector has to be 'wired' into the unit. That'll work, but what an inelegant solution.

Before I shell out close to 500 bucks, I'd like to know what the new BT systems can do and what they can not.

I welcome any opinions and input.

Thanks

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I welcome any opinions and input.
I'm not "there" with BT either so I always watch these threads to pick up new info. A list of what you want from a BT unit would be helpful.

I don't use a radar detector and haven't yet decided to get a dedicated GPS unit. So my concern would be my phone and... That's about it. I'd like two-way comms with my riding buddy but he's got CB and adding BT probably inelegant.

As far as volume in concerned aligning the speakers' output with your ear canals seems to be pretty critical for good volume with some of these units. I've started wearing earplugs so I would apply that to any helmet speakers unless they were driven by a 5W RMS or so amp. Extreme but you get my drift.

STOC #
St Gui
I really don't feel like installing the J&M with all the associated wiring and hardware. Again! But I would like to maintain the conveniences that it provides.
Namely: audible gps direcrions, check
Music from iPhone , check
Intercom, check
Radar detector warning audible, half check(wired)
Since I have had zero success with ear buds, I'm probably stuck with helmet speakers. I do like music that sounds good.
I guess a wired radar sector would be acceptable when I want it. I don't know how much of a pita that's going to be, i have a feeling though.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
OK so here is how I do it. I use the SMH10 head sets and a zumo 550 I plug the output of the 550 into an SM10 BT transmitter this gives me GPS directions and XM music to the headset my phone pairs directly to the head set and there is still an Aux connection left unused on the SM10 I suppose you could use it for a radar detector. I haven't tried that yet. I also have intercom or BT connection with other BT users if I want it.

Top Bottom