How do you disable the rev limiter on a honda st1100

TEDilores

Tony E. Dilores
I would like to know how to either adjust the rev limiter a bit higher or disable it altogether on my 1999 ST1100.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
If you have to ask this question, you are probably better off leaving it alone. The ST1100 has a hard enough time breathing at the higher revs and that is the main reason for the rev limit set where it is.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Nothing like discouraging creativity and experimentation!!!

"You guys are nuts if you think that thing will ever get off the ground" said by Bishop Milton to Orville and Wilbur.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have banged the rev limiter numerous times. The torque and horsepower curves are already falling off at that point. Only reason to change it higher would be if "hot-rodding" the motor which would call for more aggressive cams at a minimum. Far as I know, there are none available. In fact, the early years (91-92-93?) cams are slightly more aggressive than later years. I know my 01 ABS had milder cams than either of my 91s with no loss of power or performance. I can look up the details if anyone is really interested.

Cheaper and easier to upgrade to a 1300 or an FJR. :D

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Lots of folks have tried increasing the horspower of ST1100s. To my knowledge no one has succeeded in adding more the 1-2 HP while at the same time destroying the driveability of the bike. Significant valve/head work would be needed to take advantage of any raised redline.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
If you have to ask this question, you are probably better off leaving it alone.
LOL! :crackup<cleaning keyboard, screen and desk from nostril coffee-spray...>

The torque and horsepower curves are already falling off at that point.
Right on, highest torque: 4200rpm, highest output: ~6500rpm...
rev limiter kicks in at ~8500rpm... preventing over-stressing casing, bearings/journals, connection rods, valve-springs, bunch of other delicate/vital/expensive items in there...

And you sure don't want to hit when you are passing someone .... :oops: ;-)
Yup, got that right UP... :oops:
But that's operator error, cause once you've learned to use all that power avail between >3500 and <7000rpm, you never get into that regions again...

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
The revs are 'limited' and the engine tends to cut out - not something you need in a passing situation. ;-)
Yes, happened to me once through my inattentiveness as to what gear I was in and starting RPM, suddenly no power, and I was abreast of the car I was planning to pass. Brakes on and pulled back in behind the car to regroup. No real issue as there was lots of room and minimal traffic, but the cut off in power really caught me by surprise.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
It probably retards the timing so that burning efficiency is diminished, thus less power without actually killing the engine. That's my guess anyway.

Top Bottom